What's your 9-10 month old's day look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! Just wondering what your 9 to 10 month old's day look like? Particularly when he or she sleeps and how much sleep? The last month or so has been all over the place for us, with learning to crawl, teething, and a 3-week vacation overseas. I just follow baby's lead for sleep and feeding etc but he had developed a pattern before that I could kind of count on and of course now it's completely changed and I don't know what he needs anymore! I've never been good at reading sleepy cues so this baby is getting overtired and then impossible to get to nap. WOndering if there are some rules of thumbs for baby this age that might help me. Like before he'd normally nap in the morning about two hours after he woke up - that seemed to be pretty common when I checked in here before.

Would love to hear about your days! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Mine is almost 8 months, but it's not that far off, maybe it will help.

He likes to play and have fun so much that he will never show a sleepy sign unless we slow down for a bit, he will just keep going and going until he's so tired he's fussy and crying.

7pm we start his bedtime routine.  Walk, bath, snuggle time, book or just some gentle talking and bottle then off to bed at 8.

He sleeps till about 5:30-7, gets changed takes a bottle and passes out for another 1.5-2 hours. 

When he wakes up, we cuddle for a while, then have breakfast and go for a morning walk (the transition into nap time), by 10 or 11 he's back in bed for an hour. 

The next part is up in the air.  Sometimes he wakes up, has lunch then goes right back to bed at about 12 or 1 and sleeps for 2 hours or so.  Sometimes he sleeps for an hour, then has another longer nap later (about 1.5-2 hours) around 3 or 4.  Lately, he's been skipping his early afternoon nap, and taking a 2-3 hour nap around 3pm.

His sleepy signs - eye rubbing comes first, then yawning, then restlessness.

#3 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM

DD's a little over 8 months but she's also crawling, standing, walking on furniture and eating solids, etc. She reminds me a lot of where my DS was at 10 months.

She wakes between 530-6 (our whole family does, so this is kind of intentional), gets changed and nurses, and then plays with my DS for an hour. We usually read after DS finishes breakfast and then DD nurses/takes a nap from 8-9. Then she's off for at least 3 hours. We usually do outside play and walks and she's also recently into toys and trying to figure out how to play with DS instead of next to him. She likes his toy train. She nurses & then cat naps from about 12-1230 while I make lunch, and then the 3 of us eat together. Then we play hard - chasing and imaginary games, etc. to wind DS down for his nap and they both nap from about 2-4. She nurses and eats dinner at 530, and bedtime routine starts at 630. She does bath, book, & bottle (I'm at work) with my DH and goes to bed at 7. She wakes at midnight when I get home from work, nurses, and goes back  to sleep til 530-6. It usually works out to about 13-13.5 hours per day.

She also does the play, play, play, play, play and then fuss fuss CRY because she plays so hard til she's totally exhausted. I try to catch her before that but she & DS really work each other up sometimes! 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#4 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjsmama View Post

She also does the play, play, play, play, play and then fuss fuss CRY because she plays so hard til she's totally exhausted. I try to catch her before that but she & DS really work each other up sometimes! 

Mine does this too if I'm not crazy careful.  I try to stop him from doing stuff every 20-30 minutes to sit with me, talk, be held etc - gives him a minute to calm down and tell me if he's sleepy.  Generally when I pick him up and he puts his head into my chest immediately I know he's tired.  If he cuddles when I go to read to him, etc...

#5 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the replies! It looks like (fingers crossed) that we are getting back to some sort of pattern. I think I was just leaving it too late and he was getting overtired. As an experiment I tried getting him down for a nap about 15 minutes before I used to think he need a nap and while he would nurse longer he did nurse to sleep without any crazy playing! So I think he still does need his old pattern but just some help getting it back! Things are on the right track, thanks again!

:)

#6 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM

ive been wondering how my "schedule" compares to others, this is a nice thread

my twins are 9.5 months (8.5 adjusted) and are just almost crawling, one will be any day now and the other is cutting top teeth (both have lowers) so to say its a bit hectic around here is kinda a joke.

we had been steadily waking at 8:30-9 but that has been creeping earlier much to my dismay

we play in bed if we can and tend toward quieter play though our tickle sessions now get pretty rowdy!

nurse and back to sleep about a hour after they wake, used to be 10-11:30 but the length now varies a lot

up for the day, play, errands and lunch (other than milk) is now starting to get added to the mix

Nurse and Nap at around 3 till 4:30-5, though these days im happy if i get 1 hour, uug

evenings with dad and often  walk then nighttime sleep at anywhere between 7 and 9pm depending on if we go out to dinner or how their afternoon nap went. they usually sleep till i go to bed around midnight, when i nurse them. then our nightime schedule is really loose and nursing every 2-3 hours till they start it all over again at 9ish.

im just now weening them from swaddles and that is part of why their naps have gone so crazy this last week, im really hoping that when they get used to sleeping out of their Woombies they will nap longer again. and then im needing to work on less night wakings, with two waking like that i end up getting so little sleep it is effecting my health. there are many nights that i sleep 45 min, awake 1 hour and then rinse and repeat all night. or wake every 20-40 minutes if they tag team me just right.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 7 Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM

My son is 9 months old.  He's up for the day between 5:30 and 6 at which point I nurse him and then bring him downstairs to play while I make breakfast.  After breakfast we go ouside with the dogs and/or just play inside until his first nap which is around 8:45/9:00.  We don't do errands or anything until after his first nap.  He eats lunch around 11:45/12:00 and then takes his afternoon nap around 12:45/1:00.  After that we often go for a walk, to the store, etc.  Dinner is between 5 and 5:30 and bed is at 7.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page