What could turn my good sleeper bad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am no newbie to sleep problems- DS1 was a once an hour or more waker for over 1.5 yrs so I have btdt.  BUT, DS1 was always a bad sleeper.  DS2 has been a great sleeper- can do 8+ hour stretches and was usually only waking 1-2x a night.  Since he turned 4 mo he started waking once a night to have a 2 hour giggle/talk fest.  Fair enough, it sucks but it will pass and he was sleeping OK the rest of the night.  Now for the last 4 nights he is up 4-6x a night screaming and inconsolable unless he gets boob and then 30 min of patting/rocking/shushing. Then he is up for the day between 5:30-6:30.

I was literally in tears this morning at 5:30 because I realized that I had just fallen back to sleep from the 4:30-5 wake up.  The best sleep I had all night was 1.5 hours where only DS1 briefly woke.  I had no milk for the baby but a sip and my nips are killing me from this hard all night nursing.  DH takes care of DS1 at night so he can't really help here.  What gives? He is a happy baby during the day, takes regular naps, plays & giggles, etc. Both kids have been happy spitters and DS2 had been getting better recently.  He doesn't seem to have gas.  He has always been a steady gainer- 99% for h &w.  He is on track with milestones.  There is no evidence of teeth yet.

I know many moms go through this torture and I hate it.  Any thoughts on what has caused this new trend?  Should I stop feeding him every time and try to get him to except other comfort?  I am so scared to repeating all the sleep problems of DS1- we have blamed ourselves and second guessing every choice after years of bad sleep deprivation.  Especially the reliance on nursing or hours of patting/rocking to sleep.  DS2 had been able to put himself to sleep when tired and I was so happy and kept encouraging it. 

I just can't function right now and my whole family suffers.  I can barely listen to my toddler without wincing because my head is splitting, let alone entertain and enjoy these two.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#2 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

It could still be teething. I felt like we would get the sleepless nights for weeks before new teeth were showed up.  It might be worth trying a dose of tylenol (if you use tylenol) to see if it helps.

#3 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Oh, huge hugs. We had a night like that a couple weeks ago--she was up every 25 minutes from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., then every 45 min till 4 a.m., then finally slept for 4 hours. I was coming down with a cold and I don't know how I survived that night. No advice, because it passed--two nights later she had a great night and it's been up and down since then. My only theory is that around this age (DD was just about 5 months when this hell night happened) they just have a lot going on. It was her worst night ever, even worse than when she was a newborn--so I took her to the doctor to rule out ear infection or something, and he said nothing was wrong with her. So all I can do is shrug and say there's no pressing reason, just something she had to work through. I hope yours gets back to calmer sleep soon.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 6 Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM

It's the age. The 4 month sleep regression. It will get better, and then worse again. Usually around 8 or 9 months they have another regression.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 AM

i dont get what these regressions are, just that everything that does not have a clear cause seems to be blamed on them. can someone please point to to any solid reading on them?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 AM

AskMoxie.org has a lot of info on regressions, based on the Wonder Weeks book by Dutch researchers. http://www.askmoxie.org/2009/03/a-reminder-about-sleep-regressions.html?cid=6a00d8341c4f3153ef0112793a4ea828a4

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page