Help! Need some ideas for an in-arms-napping-reflux-babe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am writing this instead of going to bed, which I really should be doing, but I am at my wits end. I am the proud mamma of a 10 week old boy who has pretty severe reflux. It is under control with meds, but that is at the maximum dose. He is also pretty highly strung and can only be awake for about 30-45 minutes before needing to be helped back to sleep. My DD was the same, but I only had to deal with her and so could spend an hour getting her to sleep and napping with her if need be. She is now 4 and I am homeschooling her and need to be able to interact with her.

Night times are not a problem as we all co-sleep and DS feeds to sleep during the night. It is the days that are rough. Currently, he will only let me get him to sleep, if any one else tries he cries the most desperate, heart-breaking cry that we have given up trying. He falls asleep pretty easily in my moby wrap, but then wakens at the smallest noise. I am also starting to physically wear out from carrying him all day as he is a big lad and my back isn't strong. He will only sleep about 45 minutes most times in the Moby and wakes up wanting to nurse, tries to fall asleep again, but then it seems that his reflux acts up and he gets aggitated and wakes up. I have tried to put him down in a pack n play, bassinet and our bed. He transfers okay most of the time but then will wake up 5 minutes later (not fussy just awake). I don't know if it is his moro reflex or reflux, but he won't settle if swaddled and elevating his head doesn't seem to help. I have contemplated buying a hammock, but the whole Amby recall thing has made me nervous to do that.

I really don't know what to do. I can't see myself wearing him all day indefinitely as I physically am falling apart and my daughter is really struggling with not being able to have me down at her level. Any ideas as to what could help, I would really appreciate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Our LO did really well with chiropractic adjustments for her reflux. We started at two months and it greatly reduced symptoms. Maybe that would help your LO settle by increasing his comfort? I was initially a little nervous about chiropractic care for a newborn, but it was very gentle. I also needed to modify my diet (I don't eat dairy already, but she couldn't handle wheat). Between chiropractic, eliminating wheat, and keeping her upright after nursing we were able to eliminate almost all her pain and vomiting.

I have often thought about how challenging it would be to have a reflux baby that was not an only child... hugs mama!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 PM

I feel your pain - I discovered my LO had silent reflux at around 6 weeks and felt so bad I didn't catch it earlier.  And while it does get better, it is by no means easy :(

Anyway, I had him in a co-sleeper for the first 4 or so months and instead of buying an expensive wedge/sling combo I just raised the end of the cosleeper up with books.  That actually seemed to help regardless of the research that says it doesn't do anything. 

Everyone suggested to me to cut out dairy and caffeine (already had for years) and chocolate and wheat.  I did cut out dairy for about 6 weeks but it didn't do anything for him. Honestly, the medicines helped the most. 

We started on some liquid (I have blocked the name out) and now at 8.5mo he's still on Prevacid.  It's a sort of scary med but it works.  I've taken him down to half a pill a day with trying out 1/2 a pill every other day but it's still too early unfortunately.

Suggestions:

• If you have a cosleeper - raise one end with books - higher than you think.  The sleep wedges don't really do much for reflux.
  • If they are in bed with you already - use a basic wedge - it's not really high enough but it helps.  You can also put a wedge in the pack 'n play.
  • If you have a lot of money you can try to get a Tucker sling/wedge.  I tried to get one through insurance but it failed.
  • Everyone suggested chiropractic care but I couldn't 1) couldn't really find anyone that seems professional - in NYC! or  2) get anyone to return my call for infant care when I did find a few to maybe try.
  • If I had it to do over I would run out and get this http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper/dp/B004G81T7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318203823&sr=8-2  It's angled and safe.  A lot of the "nappers" aren't safe.

The 45 minute nap thing is, according to some theories, 1/2 of a sleep cycle.  My LO pretty much does 45 min naps with 1.5hr naps other times.  I tried just about everything to get him to sleep longer and it's just not happening.  I've not slept more than 3 hours in a row for 8.5 months and while it's really beginning to get to me - I know it's not forever.

I wish you lots of luck and hopefully some of these suggestions and from others will help you out.  There very well may be a link between dairy and reflux too but for us it just didn't make a difference.

((((HUGS))))

Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM

I second the rock and play sleeper.  I'm telling you, it changed our lives.  My little guy would only sleep in arms when we were in a chair.  I mean, *only*.  Naps, all night, it was draining.  I got the sleeper and he did 5 hours overnight!  In a row!  I know you cosleep, but it might help with nap time. 

Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I have ordered the sleeper, as I live in the UK, it will take a while to arrive, but think it is worth a shot. I have already cut out dairy, caffeine, nightshades and chilli as these all seemed to upset him. Will bite the bullet and do an elimination diet starting this week. We've already tried chiro and it helped a bit, but he then screamed for 3 days every time I picked him up so we didn't go back... need a new chiro! I will also try raising the crib for day naps. Lots to do! I really appreciate all your help, I was feeling so depressed and hopeless. Now I have a plan, that isn't just leaving him to cry (which I will not do!).

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 AM

LeahG - I did a lot of holding!  My mother is pretty old school and she was there helping me out but I stuck to it with the holding. 

On top of crying after eating (a sure sign of reflux) for a good while there he had the crying during the early evening where he was pretty much inconsolable but usually it only lasted 30-45min and I'd be holding him or bouncing him the entire time. 

It was hard hard hard but now with a more developed digestive system and the meds he's doing well and yours will too.  It's exhausting but doable!!!

I also co-sleep now but didn't have him in the actual bed (had him next to me in the co-sleeper) until he was about 4.5 months.  Had him with a wedge for awhile and then maybe at around 6 months or so removed the wedge - oh yeah, after he started solids.

Hope things get better soon - I totally understand the sleep deprived state you are in!!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 PM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

User Tag List