LO won't accept anyone but mom for more than 2 min - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 5 mo who is going through a strong separation anxiety phase.  Since I am a SAHM to him and DS1, who is 2 yr, I am with them at all times.  I have NEVER left DS2 and due to the stress and craziness adapting to 2 kids, DH tends to always take DS1 and leave me with DS2 when we're together.  I need a break.  Badly.  DH agreed to let me take a weekly class where I would be gone 2 hours then move up to 2x a week.  Great, but DH can't be with DS2 for more than a few minutes before the screaming begins.  DH gets super upset and just can't handle it especially when dealing with the toddler at the same time (DS1 is very difficult when DS2 is screaming).  I know it is just going to have to happen and that they will work something out but I wish there was something that would ease the separation?  fwiw, DS2 has never had a bottle but we are going to try giving him one.  He shouldn't need to eat in the 2 hours that I am gone but maybe it would help?  I just really don't want to give up the one chance I have to get a break.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi penstamon,

I wish I had some advice but am also seeking advice for the same problem. My son is 8 months old and just started to have separation anxiety 3 days ago. I started evening classes in late August and am gone on average 2 nights a week from 6pm-10pm or so. So DH puts our son to sleep. We only have one child so not the challenges of two. I'm finding it heartbreaking to leave him crying. If he only cried for 5 minutes I'd be fine with it but he spends most of the evening crying. It's only been 2 nights so I hope it won't last. I have 8 more weeks left to the semester. Even during the day when I'm at home he's been really clingy and even starts crying when I'm across the room. DS has a very close relationship with his dad and usually they do really well when I leave. I've already left for a 14-hour day. But right now with the separation anxiety, I seem to be the only one that can comfort him. DS will be starting daycare in less than 2 months and now I'm just dreading every time I have to leave him. Help! I think we both need some supportive answers from moms who have been through this.

User Tag List