Swollen Eyelid in 11-month Old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good morning,

My eleven-month old DS woke up with a distinctly swollen left eye this morning.  It's not crusty or oozing or anything like that.  There is a bit of redness underneath his eye.  Also, it appears he scratched himself in the corner of the same eye.  Is it likely he scratched the inside portion of the lid or something along those lines?  Is this something else entirely?  He doesn't seem bothered by his eye at all.  

I've tried a warm compress and will continue with those throughout the day.  Is there anything else I should do?  Should I call the doctor?  (This, of course, would happen on a Saturday morning.)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#2 of 8 Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Honestly, I would mainly just leave it alone. I might squirt some breastmilk in it, but other than that I would just ignore it. It is likely that he scratched it, and that is why its swollen. Babies and eyes both heal super fast, so I would just wait it out. It will likely be gone by monday, so there wont be any reason for you to go to the doctor.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 8 Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Honestly, I would mainly just leave it alone. I might squirt some breastmilk in it, but other than that I would just ignore it. It is likely that he scratched it, and that is why its swollen. Babies and eyes both heal super fast, so I would just wait it out. It will likely be gone by monday, so there wont be any reason for you to go to the doctor.

I second the breastmilk and wait. If it gets worse or isn't better by Monday, by all means, have it checked out. But otherwise, I'd wait it out.

#4 of 8 Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas.  :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#5 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Was he on his tummy for sleeping?
Most likely, its justfluid pooling due to being in the same position for so long.
My baby has this happen as well.
Once the little one learns to change positions more in the night, it will no longer happen.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#6 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Breastmilk does amazing things for eye irritations and infections. Hope it gets better soon!

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#7 of 8 Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 AM

How is your babe doing?  Let us know :)

caffix.gif

#8 of 8 Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Baby boy is great!  The redness reduced alot by the afternoon, and I put a little bit of breast milk in the corner of his eye.  By the next day everything was back to normal.  I think he poked himself in the eye, to be honest.  Silly lamb - still developing those motor skills.  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page