how can I get 7mo old to go to sleep with daddy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 mo old son only goes to sleep with me nursing him to sleep. This happened with our 1st child, now 3yo, and I vowed to never, ever let that happen again! I desperately wanted to give new baby more opportunities for going to sleep than just nursing to sleep. But then, bit by bit, I took over nursing him to sleep, don't know how, it just sort of happened ... and here we are at 7 months and only I can get him to sleep. I absolutely want my husband to be able to get him to sleep, too. Oh - he does take baby for a walk in the Ergo till he falls asleep, but only about 40% of the time does baby stay asleep when he makes the transfer to bed. The rest of the time I have to nurse him back to sleep.

I have been trying the Pantley Gentle Pull-Off method for at least 3 months now and it absolutely does not work. What else can I do? Right now as I'm typing this, baby is crying, sobbing with my husband. Daddy took him for a walk in the Ergo, he fell asleep, but when transferring he woke up. I tried nursing him back to sleep and he was like, la la la! Mommy's here! I'm awake! So I told him he needed to go to sleep with daddy, but he's been crying for 10 mins now. Ooops, here daddy comes into the kitchen where I am! Sigh. What do I do??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

Not sure if this will help but have you tried having your husband put on one of your dirty shirts? Sometimes that can help because your baby associates you with falling asleep, and then dh smells like you. Also have you tried a binkey? I know some people are opposed to them but maybe your son just needs to suck on something. Oh, and also if they can snuggle up skin to skin. Those are all my ideas! Good luck!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM

What does the bedtime routine look like?  And has dad gone through the whole thing?

User Tag List