Started solids too early...Where to go from here? Spoiler alert: there's poop - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hope you mamas can help me on this.  I haven't found a ped whose advice I trust regarding nutrition. Sad.

So I started my DS on solids last week.  He is 5 months 2 weeks.  I thought he was ready.  Now I know that he is developmentally, but not in his gut.  The first thing I gave him was steamed sweet potato in one of those little mesh baggie things.  He held it on his own and munched down and swallowed a bit.  No sign of gut problems. A week later I gave him banana mushed up and thinned out with bm.  Loved it.  Couldn't get enough.  No gags, no tongue thrust, just very happy baby.  I'm pretty sure the banana plugged him up a bit, because he didn't poop for a couple of days and he is a daily pooper. Once he cleared the banana, I went back to sweet potato.  So yesterday, I gave him a couple of tablespoons of pureed sweet potato.  He gobbled it down.  

Last night the trouble began.  Here comes the detailed poop description redface.gif He pooped around 3:30 am, which is unusual.  He is a day time pooper typically.  Didn't notice anything weird about the poop.  Then he kept pooping, each time the poop got lighter in color and more watery but with less volume as the day went on.  The last poop, which was really (pardon the term) more of a "shart" (ew, I know), was fairly mucousy and had the teeniest of tiniest little fleck of blood in it.  

Now given this reaction, I'm holding off on any more solids for a while, and, when I do offer them again, I will allow him to self feed rather than do any purees.  My questions to btdt mamas are:

Given this reaction, how long should I wait to try solids again?  What should it be?  He wakes up enough at night all on his own.  I don't need to be adding extra wakings for tummy troubles.  

Sweet potato seems pretty innocuous to me.  If he reacted to it once, will he react poorly again when is system actually is ready?  Or do you think it was just because it was too soon?

Did I just totally screw up his lil tummy? greensad.gif

TIA

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#2 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM

since sweet potato seems so mild, i wonder , did you eat anything yourself that could have triggered it thru breast milk?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I haven't eaten anything new, but, I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, I ran a low grade fever and had some chills and body aches the night before feeding him the sweet potato.  I took ibuprofen because the body aches were so bad.  Do you think that could have been the cause?  Or the illness??

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 PM

I am no expert,

but I have read that babies don't get the proper enzymes to digest carbs until around 8 months (I don't remember the article but perhaps you could google!?)

I have also ready (haha, oh boy) that a baby's gut can be fixed with 2 weeks of ebf... so if something bugs it up, boob it up for a while and then try again...

W let DS gnaw on raw apple, nectarines, suck juice out of oranges, for  a while before he started really eating. Then around 8 months, once the teeth cut through, he'd have pieces of potato or carrot or celery from our soup, a little broth, mashed banana (but I found with banana, he'd eat a lot - and get heavy poop, so I cut back and bf more)...

I personally think the longer you wait to introduce solids, the better your baby's gut will do once the food (which is mostly for fun in the first year) comes along.

I think kellymom has some advice on navigating through the first solids... check there perhaps?

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#5 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM

It def sounds like it might be connected to a mild illness like u described. We just encountered something very similar. Hopefully that is all it was!
#6 of 9 Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Probably was...though it gave me a kick in the pants to do a bit more research on starting solids.  I think we'll stop for a while, let him play with spoons, cups, water.  Then let him self feed tiny amounts to experiment with texture.

#7 of 9 Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM

If you were sick and had something out of the ordinary (ibuprofen!)  then that could be part of the poop issue. If he seemed that eager for foods, then by all means, offer him bits to try/mesh sack to suck. (The mesh sack is GREAT for teething...put cold/frozen fruit or soft cubes of puree in there and your babe will be in heaven :)

#8 of 9 Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM

My dd had the same thing when she was exclusively bf, lots of poop, turning into mucus like poop. She also had a bit of blood in her poop so of course I called her Dr. (who I totally love) right away, and he said it was pretty common, just a sign of a mild tummy bug. He had me bring her in just to be safe since there was some blood so he could do a culture, but she was fine. In my experience once babies want to eat and can handle eating without gagging, the rest of their bodies are ready for food, too.

#9 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStelle View Post
In my experience once babies want to eat and can handle eating without gagging, the rest of their bodies are ready for food, too.

ITA with this. 

Solid food is going to change the color, consistency, and frequency of poops. He might be coming down with a stomach bug, or it might just be a randomly odd-looking poop. He doesn't NEED solids yet, so you aren't harming him if you decide to stop for a bit. But if he was interested and able to eat, I'd offer him other kinds of foods. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page