Fussy, gassy, colicky babies... this might help others - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow! I'm too excited to even get the sleep I am able to get now with my 2 month old twins! My husband bought soy formula last night because I had a feeling my twin girls have the same milk allergy I have (granted I still consume some dairy even though it bothers me but I can do something about it because I'm not a helpless infant). We fed them only TWO bottles so far and I can already tell the difference! One of the girls used to spit up almost 5 oz of milk or 4 oz which is the whole feeding when she has a 4 oz bottle but I noticed with breast milk, she only spit up a little. With the soy formula, it's almost eliminated! Moderate gas (really just passing gas now every now and then, they used to have an excessive amount of passing gas before the soy) no more waking up SCREAMING like someone is killing them, they just squirm and make a little noise if I get to them quickly enough for feeding, no spitting up, my one that spits up a whole lot, spit up when she didn't burp before I changed her, colic is already gone, my girls used to just wail even after changing, feeding, burping,swaddling and giving them gripe water. I wish I had done this sooner, better now than never though before I went through a whole year or another 2-4 months of this. I just love the peace I got last night, and wanted to share my joy and hopefully help someone else. One website said that soy formula isn't proven to help fussiness, and gas and that only few babies need it, but I'm living proof that it MAY help for formula fed babies. It's really best for strict vegan parents, or if you breastfeed and supplement with formula. Try a little for a night or two if you can and good luck!

#2 of 3 Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to say I am glad you found what works for you and your babies. When baby is gassy and uncomfortable it can be really hard love.gif I had to almost eliminate dairy from my diet for the first few months due to baby with acid reflux and it really helped. Its hard to do at first because I find that hidden dairy is in a lot of stuff but, once you start I noticed baby was happier and even I had benefits.

#3 of 3 Old 11-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I think mad4mady is right - if your baby is reacting in some way to your breastmilk you can usually resolve that by eliminating the food from your own diet so it is not passed through breastmilk. So switching to a soy formula is not necessary for a breastfed baby to resolve such things. Be aware too that soy can cause additional problems for some babies. So while you may see an initial positive benefit in soy formula, other symptoms may arise fo a baby sensitive to soy which you might not attribute to the soy formula because you still have a positive benefit view of the soy formula from the respect that the first symptoms disappeared.

Midwesterner04 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page