Will I have to wear this baby to sleep forever? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just need some reassurance... my 9 week old will one day take naps longer than 45 minutes and I will be able to put her down for them, right?

My first DD took naps in stroller, carseat, on couch, the swing,etc. And would sleep for 2-3 hours. Maybe she was older, but I def remember her sleeping in the swing at about 6 weeks.

Anyway this new little girl is very hard to put down. Sometimes my back is killing me from rocking and holding to get her to fall asleep so I just put her in sling (a wrap) and then she settles down pretty quickly. If I try to take her out, she will sometimes make the transfer but then wake up after 15 minutes. in the sling, maybe 60-90 minutes, sometimes longer. I basically wear or hold her most of the day. When she's awake she doesn't tolerate swing or papasan for much more than 10-12 minutes.

At night I rock her, then hold her for about 20-30 minutes, then lay her in the bassinet (next to bed) and she'll sleep for a couple hours til first wake up then I bring her into bed.

Anyway, just tell me that the nap thing will start coming together eventually. I'm not setting myself up for disaster by wearing for naps, right?  I wouldn't mind so much but it's just hard to pick up laundry basket, get a shower, etc. I would like to have some freedom sometimes! :-)

Sorry so long..Thank you!!

Mama to two sweet girls!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 AM

hug2.gif

This is just how DS was as a baby. If it wasn't for my Moby, nothing would have gotten done. It will get easier, but it may take some time. Some babies just need that comfort of being held more. My DS is 2 and still gets this way sometimes. As he is becoming more and more independent as a toddler, I look back to those early weeks and months and actually miss it...well most of it winky.gif

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#3 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM

I held my baby constantly for the first 6 months of her life. Her naps were either in my arms, on her daddys chest, or on anyone who was willing to hold her. Finally around 6 months I just started putting her down. She was getting heavy and no longer seemed happy sleeping in my arms.  She is turning 10 months soon and some days she does not nap well but most days I am able to put her down for a nap that lasts anywhere from 1-2hours.So hang in there momma, it gets easier!

#4 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 AM

DS was always in my arms or in the sling up until he started crawling outside of floor time (with me). He continued to nap in my arms or while being worn until around 9 or 10 months, which is when I started really working towards getting him to nap on his own. He's 15 months now and takes at least an hour long nap everyday laying down on his own, and he sleeps on his own for an hour or two at night before I come to bed. I still nurse him down but it doesn't take very long at all. The older he gets, the more independent he becomes. I love that I have more freedom to get things done now, but honestly, I really miss the constant cuddles. As frustrating as it could be at times when he needed me nonstop, it was such a short time in the grand scheme of things. They grow up so fast, especially in the first couple years. She'll be napping on her own before you know it. 

#5 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, friends.  I go back and forth between enjoying the time with my final baby and just wanting a few moments of freedom! :-)

I appreciate the perspective.

Mama to two sweet girls!

#6 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

See if someone else will wear her! My partner and a few other family members have worn my baby to sleep. Saves my back and they love and care for him very much and enjoy soothing him.
#7 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 PM

Same here, my son is 11weeks and needs to be held for all naps or at least be right next to me when he naps after nursing lying down.

I figure it will get easier in the future *shrug*.

Sometimes I can sit up if I place a sweater stuffed with blankets around him as if I was next to him and then use my netbook or knit...(I work from home)

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM

have you tried swaddling? you can even swaddle her first, then slip her into the carrier and once she is asleep, try laying her down. my dd loved to sleep on me, but she also slept very well when swaddled, rocked to sleep and then laid down. don't give up! they change so quickly at this age, something that wouldn't work at all a couple weeks ago will start working great tomorrow. anyway, yes, if the swaddling doesn't work, then eventually she will grow out of it.

#9 of 9 Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 AM

my DS does the same thing.  he's 7wks old and I feel like he's been in my arms since he was born.  He wakes if i put him down in his crib but a friend of mine just gave us a bassinet and that seems to help A LOT.  he's willing to stay in it as long as he hears the radio on or talking.  it's amazing how i can have him in the dining room with 5 people having a loud, energetic conversation while i nudge and thump him but the second he's down on a comfortable bed in a quiet room he starts to scream.  

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page