Quick! Fill in the blanks! Real sleep feedback, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is ________ months old. S/he sleeps in __________. S/he goes to be around _____ and wakes up around ______. S/he wakes up about _____ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I ____________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this ___________.

I'll go first:
My baby is 10 months old. She sleeps in her crib for part of the night and then our bed. She goes to bed around 8 and wakes up around 5. She wakes up about 4 times a night (on a good night;). I breastfeed her to get her back down, and my partner never helps with this!

Happy first time mama - Rosa born 2/4/11!
#2 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM

This may not be helpful to you since my babe is just under 3 weeks old but I'll give you feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos Mountain Mama View Post

My baby is 3 weeks old. S/he sleeps in our bed. S/he goes to bed around 11 when I do and wakes up around 4/4:30. S/he wakes up about various times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I feed him and change him if needed to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this if he is awake or if I ask him to. I mostly take care of the night time parenting because I haven't started pumping and he is exclusivly on the breast.  My partner did mention that he can't wait for me to pump so he can soothe him better if he needs to help when he wakes up to eat in the middle of the night.  Even when that happens I will probably do most of the work at night because he is a heavy sleeper or relutant to wake up.

Oh I just realized I said that my baby only sleeps from 11-4 and wakes up during the night.  I meant he wakes at 4 for his first wake up then we nurse on and off the rest of the night but I usually am half alseep during it and he gets up when I feel like it or when we have to drive my partner to work at 8 and sometimes after that we go back to bed for a nap.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#3 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Hi tank! Okay, here's me

My baby is 1 months old. S/he sleeps in ____my bed______. S/he goes to be around __8___ and wakes up around ___7.30___. S/he wakes up about ___2-3__ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I ___nurse_________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this ___he helps with our older child and I take care of the baby________.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#4 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Here is mine!!

Quote:

My baby is ___3_____ months old. S/he sleeps in _____his swing_____. S/he goes to be around ___9__ and wakes up around ___730___. S/he wakes up about __4___ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I ____nurse________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner doesn't help with this .

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Here's mine...

Quote:

My baby is ____7____ months old. S/he sleeps in ____her crib in our room______. S/he goes to be around __8 or 8:30___ and wakes up around __7:30____. S/he wakes up about _1-3____ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I ___nurse_________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this ___not at all________.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#6 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Here's mine (note, with all the teething going on, the only consistent thing about sleep of late has been inconsistency).

My baby is 8 months old. She sleeps in our bed with the two of us and our dog. She goes to be around 7:00 pm and wakes up around 7:00 am. She wakes up 2-5 times during the night. When she wakes up (she doesn't actually fully wake up, she fusses), I nurse her because she is hungry and then she goes back to sleep. My partner cannot help with this.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#7 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM

My baby is ~8months old. He sleeps in our bed with me (DP sleeps on the couch). He goes to be around 6:30p and wakes up around 5:30-7a. He wakes up about 2-6 times during the night. When he wakes up, I nurse him to calm him down and get him back to sleep because that's what works. My partner helps does not with this because her boobs don't make milk.
gumshoegirl007 likes this.

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#8 of 41 Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My baby is 7 months old. He sleeps in bed with DH and I. He goes to bed around 7:30 and wakes up around 7:00. He wakes up about 4 times during the night. When he wakes up, I nurse him back to sleep or pick him up and rock him (this only happens a couple times a week when he won't nurse back down). My partner helps with this very rarely. Most of the time DH doesn't even wake up when DS does.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#9 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM

My baby is 3 months months old. he sleeps in our family bed_. S/he goes to be around __9 or 10 pm___ and wakes up around ___7:30 or 8:30 am___. he wakes up about 0 times during the night. When he wakes up, I nurse____ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this __he is there for emotional support :O__.

#10 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My baby is ___1 and 1/2_____ months old. S/he sleeps in ____a crib in his own room bc I can't sleep through all his noises______. S/he goes to be around ___11__ and wakes up around __7 or 8____. S/he wakes up about __4___ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I ______nurse bc he he's hungry______ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this ___by bringing him to me or changing a diaper sometimes he holds him if wakes up right after I've nursed him early on in the night.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#11 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM

My baby is 10 months old. He sleeps in bed with me. He goes to be around 9 and wakes up around 9. He wakes up about 3-4 times during the night. When he wakes up, I nurse him to calm him down and get him back to sleep. My partner helps with this when he goes down for the night (which is sometimes tricky) but not in the middle of the night - DS always goes back to sleep right away.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#12 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 PM

My baby is 10 months old. he sleeps on a mattress on his bedroom floor until I go to bed then he come to bed with us and our dog and cat. he goes to be around 7-9pm and wakes up around 7:00-8:30 am. S/he wakes up about 4 times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I nurse to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this never though he goes back to sleep right away so no help is needed.

#13 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM

My baby is 7 months old. he sleeps in our bed (or in arms/sling/mei tai) He goes to bed around 8ish and wakes up around 7ish. He wakes up about 3ish (this a guess more accurate would be to say less than my DD did) times during the night. When he wakes up, I nurse and sometime cuddle him on my chest while jiggling him to calm him down and get him back to sleep. My partner helps with this ___________.... Hmmm...Generally my DH does not help with nighttime parenting, and when he does it's in the context of helping our older dd. He puts her to bed every night and then resettles her in the night sometimes. He's a heavy sleeper and to be frank waking him up to deal with night time issues is more of a pain in the a$$ than dealing with them myself. An exception is when the kids are sick. Then I need him to step it up and he does.

#14 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks, all you mamas. I originally posted this bc I was fooling myself into thinking that my girl should be sleeping through the night. I needed some real time stats from those of us in the sleep-trenches. It's super reassuring to hear that night waking is still very normal! Hope one day WE can all sleep through the night again!

Happy first time mama - Rosa born 2/4/11!
#15 of 41 Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's also... well, not reassuring I guess lol.gif but... a realistic reminder to those of us still looking towards that, that nighttime parenting is probably gonna be 90% my job.

I've kind of always assumed that's the way it would go, at least while BFing, but some have tried to convince me that it can be tag-teamed. I remain unconvinced, and will simply acclimate myself to the idea of being a single mom during sleeping hours. ;)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#16 of 41 Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 PM

My baby is 8.5 months old. She sleeps in her crib for part of the night and then my bed (DH is a very light sleeper and has been sleeping downstairs on the pullout). She goes to bed around 9 and wakes up around 7-8. She wakes up about 2-3 times a night. I rock and give her a pacifier to get her back down, and when that doesn't work I feed her (she is FF and takes 1 bottle/night usually).  My partner does not help with this.

#17 of 41 Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

It's also... well, not reassuring I guess lol.gif but... a realistic reminder to those of us still looking towards that, that nighttime parenting is probably gonna be 90% my job.

I've kind of always assumed that's the way it would go, at least while BFing, but some have tried to convince me that it can be tag-teamed. I remain unconvinced, and will simply acclimate myself to the idea of being a single mom during sleeping hours. ;)

Wait hold on a minute there :) it CAN be tag teamed and it's ok to ask your parenting partner to help out. I generally follow the nighttime rule of  "do what gets me the most sleep" which is why (as I stated above) I deal with the nighttime parenting of my babe--a) all he needs is a quick nurse in bed and b) waking DH is a pita--so generally there is no need to wake my DH. But you'd better believe if DS needed to be rocked multiple times in the night or required more vigorous nighttime parenting than simply rolling over and sticking my boob in his mouth, I'd be waking my heavy sleeping DH up for help! When my DH complains about our DD climbing into bed with us at night, I tell him if he wants to wake up and move her to her own bed...great, he has my support. BUT I'm not doing it! And I'm not waking him up to do it, cause I'm too busy attending to DS and my own sleep needs. I hope this makes sense. Basically I'm trying to say that a mama's got to do what a mama's got to do to get as much sleep as possible but that doesn't mean that daddys (aka parenting partners) are off the hook at night. You have a right to ask them for help and they should give it when asked!!

#18 of 41 Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 AM

My baby is 4 months old. S/he sleeps in our bed. S/he goes to bed around 9-10 and wakes up around  7. S/he wakes up about 2-4 times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I stick a boob in his mouth to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this at bedtime, but isn't needed for the night wakings.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#19 of 41 Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 AM

My baby is 4.5 months old. He sleeps in his crib until his first nighttime wakeup, then in bed with me. He goes to bed around 8pm and wakes up around 9-10am. He wakes up about 3-5 times during the night, all between 3am and when he gets up in the morning. When he wakes up, I nurse to calm him down and get him back to sleep. He usually doesn't actually wake up, just fusses in his sleep.

My partner helps with this by brining baby into bed after his first wake up, then going to sleep downstairs for the rest of the night smile.gif That is at MY request - he would help more at night but he snores and that keeps me awake, so I would rather him sleep downstairs once babe starts waking up more frequently. That helps me get more sleep!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#20 of 41 Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM

My baby is 2.5 months old. S/he sleeps in our bed. S/he goes to bed around 9 or 10 and wakes up around 7. S/he wakes up about 3 times during the night. When s/he squirms, (i poke) my partner (who) takes her to pee and changes her diaper as needed and I nurse her to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep.

great format for gathering info!  :)

#21 of 41 Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:

My baby is _13_ months old. S/he sleeps in __a crib in the room next to ours_. S/he goes to be around _7:30_ and wakes up around _6:30_. S/he wakes up about 1-3 times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I _sometimes rock her or replace her pacifier_ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this _when i poke him in the side and wake him up_.

i work full time (60 hours a week) and had to quit pumping at a year b/c i couldn't take it anymore and unfortunately my supply dried up really quickly.  I usually nursed DD to sleep and whenever she woke at night.  DH never woke up, but I was fine w/ it b/c i LOVED the night wakes with her and I miss nursing her SO MUCH.  Anyway, now that there's no more nursing to sleep, DH and I equally share the nighttime comforting needs.  I still wake up every time she cries though and I can never fall back to sleep the way DH can!

joy.gifhappy wife to dh and loving mom to dd (1yr) with another little one on the way in July!!

#22 of 41 Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM

My baby is 1.5 months old. She sleeps in the bed with my partner and I. She goes to bed around 10 PM and wakes up around 9 AM. She wakes up about 3 times during the night. When she wakes up, I nurse her to calm her down and get her back to sleep and change her the second time she wakes up. My partner helps with this not the tiniest little bit irked.gif

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#23 of 41 Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM

My baby is 2 months old.  She sleeps in a pack and play next to my bed.  She goes to bed around 10 pm and wakes up around 8am.  She sometimes wakes up about one time during the night, most nights she sleeps through.  When she wakes  up, I change her and nurse her to calm her down and get her back to sleep.  My partner does not help with nursing, but will change her on weekends or sit up with me if I ask him to.

I got lucky on the sleep front, though I don't fool myself into thinking it will last.  She's been sleeping through since about five weeks.  I'm dreading teething.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#24 of 41 Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My baby is ___5_____ months old. S/he sleeps in _bed with me and my husband_________. S/he goes to be around _730pm____ and wakes up around __5am____. S/he wakes up about _3____ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I __nurse him__________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this __not at all_________. To be fair, my son is exclusively breastfed so there's not a whole lot he can do with the night wakings. I am always the one to get up with the baby in the mornings, though, and that makes me sad!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#25 of 41 Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:

My baby is ________ months old. S/he sleeps in __________. S/he goes to be around _____ and wakes up around ______. S/he wakes up about _____ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I ____________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this ___________.
I'll go first:
My baby is 10 months old. She sleeps in her crib for part of the night and then our bed. She goes to bed around 8 and wakes up around 5. She wakes up about 4 times a night (on a good night;). I breastfeed her to get her back down, and my partner never helps with this!

Our babes are only about a week apart in age (DD's birthday is 1/28) so maybe it's a good comparison...

My baby is 10 months old. She sleeps in her room in a toddler bed with a side rail for the first part of her sleep, and then in bed with us for the rest of the night. She goes to bed at 7 pm. She wakes up around 530am. She wakes 3-4 times at night, usually (8:30), 11, 1:30, & 4. I hold her and calm her back to sleep with a pacifier at her first waking, generally, and then bring her into bed and nurse her back to sleep for the subsequent wakings.  My DH often is the one to calm her with her pacifier and music at her first waking, and he is always the one to go get her from her room and bring her into our bed when she's ready to nurse and sleep with us. 

DH handles any night diaper changes, he is usually the one to put her to bed (she typically eats dinner at 530, nurses around 630, and he lays her down at 7. He became her "bed person" somewhere around 8 months). He brings her to me when she wakes at night. I have always felt with both of my kids our night parenting was tagteamed even though I'm BFing, and it certainly helps me not resent DH. Because 530 comes early for both of us, and he's off to work and I'm alone with the kids for 12 hours. We both are accountable to wake, but we also both do whatever we can to help the other one get back to sleep, and as much sleep as possible, as often as possible. We also take turns taking naps on the weekends while the other takes the kids to play or something.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#26 of 41 Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 AM

Our story changes every night.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#27 of 41 Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM

This makes me feel so much better that every family & every baby are different,

My baby is __3 months______  old. S/he sleeps in ___ourbed_______. S/he goes to be around __7:30___ and wakes up around __7____. S/he wakes up about __3+___ times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I __nurse her__________ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this __not much he can do..

#28 of 41 Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahkatiebell View Post

Our story changes every night.

W0rd.  Ours too.

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

#29 of 41 Old 12-06-2011, 04:57 PM

My baby is ___11_____ months old. S/he sleeps in ______his crib for most of the night and then in the bed with me____. S/he goes to be around __7___ and wakes up around ___5:30-6:00___. S/he wakes up about ___1__ times during the night (between 4 and 5). When s/he wakes up, I nurse and rock him_____ to calm him/her down and get him/ her back to sleep. My partner helps with this ______never_____.

#30 of 41 Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 AM

My baby is 8 weeks old. S/he sleeps in  our bed S/he goes to be around 11:30/12 and wakes up around 7 or 8 S/he wakes up about 2-3 times during the night. When s/he wakes up, I nurse her to go back to sleep. My partner helps with this not at all! (well, he hasn't got the boobs)

FWIW: my toddler (he just turned 2) didn't STTN consistently until he nightweaned at 15 months.  He didn't start staying the whole night in his own bed until his sister was born. and that was purely his choice. (she was born when he was 22 months old)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page