A shoked Pediatrician - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...finally Raihana was born..I always thought she was in a hurry and she sure was, born after 37 weeks into my pregnancy (c-sec due to preeclempsia)..2905 grams (about 6.4 pounds) my dr was more than happy..and I was at least till I came home from the hospital..My problem was in breast feeding....and poop...yep!
My babe got tired easily and would not latch...breast feeding made her fussy, angry, and dare I say..violent! Please dont laugh... She can be a bad latcher but she scratches and hits like a champ..lol
Now the other thing was poop...until she was 2 weeks old she had a regular bowl movement and pooped twice a day.. Then it happend..while changing her diaper one time, she started 2 poop and I waited till she finished..The next thing I know my baby would never poop in a closed diaper!!!!..every time she had bowel movement she became very fussy, and cried alot, but would never poop as much as I waited...and believe me I WAITED ALOT and more than once!!!!! I went running 2 her pediatrician....and the big laugh...he was shoked!!!!..What he said was that she had discovered poop control at a very early age and that she is very smart..But he had never heard of any similar case....HAVE YOU???? Please share your thoughts... Sorry if i wrote alot but I always have alot 2 ask about..and thanks 4 replying
#2 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Yeah, babies can learn poop control pretty early, though I think it usually requires more effort on behalf of the parent.

Some people hold the baby over some kind of appropriate receptacle when s/he needs to eliminate instead of requiring the baby to do it in a diaper. It's called elimination communication or natural infant hygiene. It's the norm in cultures without diapers, but it's also chosen by some parents who do have access to diapers because they find it more convenient and/or healthier than 100% diapers.

This site actually has a forum about it.

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/227/elimination-communication

Here's a few other info:

http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

http://tribalbaby.org/ECindex.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication

#3 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

thanks 4 your reply it was really helpful..but the thing is that all these babies mentioned in the posts were either old enough or their parents chose to potty train them at an early age... My baby is now two months old and hasnt had a poop in her diaper since she was two weeks old...and it was her choice since she just wouldn't do it in her diaper... now i keep her in diapers all day long ..when she needs to poop she lets me know (ive learned to read the signs lol) i open her diaper..raise her legs...she does her business the i dress her with a clean new diaper and thats it!!! Its funny actually come to think of it..... Its her choice not mine...She cannot even sit on a potty!!!!!!!lolllzzzzzzz

#4 of 16 Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 AM

Many people do elimination communication from birth. They do exactly what you describe - recognize the signs their baby is going to go then hold them over a potty or toilet. I guess your doctor was shocked because he's never encountered it before.
sosurreal09 likes this.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 16 Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM

We always EC'ed I don't believe babies are incontinent at all. If they are only taught to go in their diaper they learn to ignore it.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 16 Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM

While it is unusual for a parent to recognize that their baby is choosing to poop/pee when the diaper is off, it is pretty common for babies to choose to do that. Lots of parents/doctors get it in the face! Congratulations on both your daughter's natural wisdom, and your own wise eyes to notice it!

We started offering my son the potty at 4 days old- we would just hold him with our hands under his thighs, his body leaning back on our arms or against our chests over the big potty. He chose from the very beginning to hold his poop for these offers. He is 18 mo old and pretty much initiates his own pottying most of the time (occasionally I realize it's been a long time and ask if he needs to go, and rarely he holds it too long and surprise!). We have changed fewer than 20 poopy dipes/undies in his whole life- all of them when he was teething, and when his poop changed to solid-food poop, which he didn't like at first.

Instead of thinking- this is totally crazy!, consider going with DD's amazing wisdom, and helping her use the potty from this early age. Babies and toddlers sitting in diapers full of their own excrement is pretty gross. Forcing a child who knows better to do that is just kinda mean! EC is a little more time at the beginning than traditional diapering, but it is totally worth it for the communication you develop with your child, and ALL THOSE DIAPERS you didn't use and your DD didn't have to sit in. Plus it is ALOT less time after about a year when all you need to do is down pants and up pants than the whole digging of poop out of crevices routine.

DSC03563.JPG

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

#7 of 16 Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM

He looks like he is sleeping hehe

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 16 Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all your kind replies..im still kinda new to the job of parenting and I really appreciate any advice...as for DD I will try this EC and I think Im on the right track..this week I think she started experiencing some teething pains, drooling, and watery stool which resulted in an "accident", but all in all DD is still in control and im still trying to catch up..wish me luck...by the way I love the picture flyrabbitfly

#9 of 16 Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM

How old is the baby? Teething doesn't generally start until around 5 m/o. It is OK to miss (we've had plenty) at least he knows you respect him and he is aware and will have continued awareness of his eliminations.

#10 of 16 Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

photo0312.jpgshe is almost 3 months old...but its not teething why does she drool alot?

#11 of 16 Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Because babies drool haha Totally normal! Cute pic!

#12 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

My little sweeeeeeeeeet princess

her smile keeps me alive200420121569.jpg

#13 of 16 Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM

all 4 of my babies had 2 teeth by 3 months old so it is not that uncommon to be teething so early. i never did EC, i was just never drawn to do so and they never seemed to care...they all were out of diapers at age 2 though.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#14 of 16 Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My baby started to teethe at 3 months but the actual tooth didn't make an appearance until 6 months.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#15 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 AM

oh i hate when it takes so long to come through! poor baby(and mama lol) my 7 month old has her teeth coming in a very strange order and she has bitten me so many times.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#16 of 16 Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

I hate this teething business!!! It makes my baby restless all the time... not to mention the "everything goes into the mouth" phenomenon...  my baby is 8 months now and still no teeth are visible.. I hope her and my suffering will end soon... pray for us ladies...

100420121539.jpg

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page