Toys and Activities for 5 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm wondering what kinds of toys and activities I should find for my 5 month old DD. She can't quite sit up on her own yet, but laying on the floor and rolling over seems to be getting boring for her, and so do the toys she used to be fascinated with. She likes it when we prop her up to sit, and of course puts everything I give her in her mouth. No more bouncy seat or swing- she's way too squirmy for those. Seems like she wants to take off running! What have you found to be fun for your little ones, and good for their development?

Thanks!

jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 PM

For not direct Mommy or Daddy play, at 5mo we started using a johnny jump up in a frame (it works like an exersaucer that way). Noah really likes to be upright and he gets so focused on his little toys it looks like he's working :LOL it's just a good way to keep him upright like he wants to be.

He is now 6mo and can sit up quite well by himself & that makes him happy - good view of the world & it's easy for him to play w/ things. The time for the johnny jump up is passing, but I still prefer it in the kitchen where i'd rather not have him sitting on the floor.

He's getting more into manipulating things, like taking off the cover during peek-a-boo (his coordination still has a ways to go), exploring the crinkly things, pounding his hand on the table, etc. He's touching us more too, exploring our faces w/ his hands.

HTH

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
Old 04-13-2004, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ma_Donna,

What is a johnny jump up?
Skyler was born 10/29/03, so just a couple weeks younger than Noah. She is also starting to explore our faces- pretty cute. I know what you mean about the serious expression she gets when she is focused on a toy!
Thanks for replying!

Old 04-13-2004, 06:43 PM

Jill ~ if ma_Donna didn't already answer you, a Johnny Jump up attaches to a door frame and babe sits inside of it and can jump around (if it is what I'm thinking of anyway) There is a new one on the market that is a frame sort of like a swing and the jumper sits inside of that so it can be put anywhere, not just in a door frame. I'm thinking of getting one for my 5 mo. old. Jessica is about 2 weeks younger than Skyler. She's also starting to get bored with the lying down toys. She likes lights and noise so we got I think it's called a tummy time activity center, or something like that. You can turn it so babe can play either on her tummy or lying on her back. It has lights and music and is baby activated. Her favorite "toy" though is mommy or her big sisters. She likes to play with our faces and hair :LOL
Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 PM

Hi my baby Maya is just a day older than Skyler. She loves to play with a mirror. We have a 5x7 compact type. It opens up and can she can see her face if she is on the floor. You can see a picture on our homepage if my description is not clear.
http://members.aol.com/kathaka59/maya.html
She loves to look at herself in the mirror!! She also likes to put things in her mouth, so I have some things out that are OK for that, spoons, washcloth, her baby hairbrush handle etc... I think she just wants *new* items. As soon as she sees something new she dropps whatever she has in her hand and goes for the new object. I only keep a few out at a time and rotate them, so she is constantly facinated. She can`t sit up on her own and I know that frustrates her. I try and sling her more, or sit behind her to prop her up. Come and join the equinox baby thread!
HTH,
Kathryn and Maya 10/28
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 PM

Hi:

My son just turned 6 months old today...so I still remember 5 months quite well.

Let's see...
He likes his play mat/activity gym (Tiny Love). We change the position of the hanging toys.

We have these small stuffed animals with bells in them... very popular...as he can hold them.

Teething rings/beads are a toy and useful too. Especially the kind that can go in the 'fridge.

Tupperware containers are fun to play with.

We had this thing called "Hop 'n Pop" which he loved by Fisher Price. Unfortunately it's at Grandma's house.

Acitvities:

He loves to swing... so we go to the park and hold him on our lap and swing gently.

He loves to be held and bounced on an exercise ball.

He loves to sway back and forth. Usually I'll face him towards me and sing "Row Row Row Your Boat" or some other silly song.

Knee Rides... I usually hum the "Charge of the LIght Brigade"

Reading...board books (Sandra Boynton books)...which are really teething books

Dancing together

Airplane rides... lie on my back, put him on my knees...and move him forward saying "Zzoooooommmmm"

Hope that helps!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 04-13-2004, 10:19 PM

Oh...he loved being pulled up into a seated and then a standing position. At first, I provided most of the momentum, but by the end of his 5th month, he was using my hand as a handle, pulling himself up. He can almost pull himself up to a seated position from lying down... sort of looks like he's doing a crunch/sit up.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 04-13-2004, 11:13 PM

Johnny Jump Up

I don't know if that's the brand name of this particular one, a friend got it at a yard sale. There is also a device for suspending the seat from a door frame.

Noah also likes being tossed in the air (mostly by me, he's given the pouty lip at someone else, then laughed when I did it right after... stranger anxiety has begun). Any bouncing around, tossing horseplay he loves - I often carry him around like a sack of potatoes over my shoulder.

Have fun!!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
Old 04-14-2004, 10:28 AM

One of my twin girls favorite toys at this age was small playsilks.

Have you seen these? They are simply silk squares that are dyed pretty colors. Most people buy them in large squares for older children to use as capes, the background for a play setting, but you can get them very small for babies (like 11"x11")

Anyway, my girls LOVED using them for playing peek-a-boo. They would put them over their face and then we'd take turns pulling it off. They thought it was so funny! I would also slide the silk over their faces and they would just giggle!

Just a thought!

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your suggestions! She now loves tupperware lids and containers...and seems to stay more entertained if I can alternate toys frequently. Seems like she really wants to start crawling...or at least moving herself. She used to like playing on her belly, but now starts to fuss like she wants to go somewhere.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Do you have an exer-saucer? We have one with toys 360 degrees around and my DS, 5 1/2 months, just loves it. He can turn himself around to access all the toys, and some reach his mouth and are meant for teething.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Julieshayna,

An exer-saucer is on my list of things to get. She tried one at a friend's house and loved it! It's good to hear that some of the toys on them are for teething, that's a definite plus.

Thanks!

User Tag List