How do you decide which of your baby's noises to respond to at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that babies make lots of noises at night, not all of which mean that they need something. But at one month in I'm still having trouble distinguishing between sleeping noises and I'm-waking-up-and-need-attention noises. This isn't crying (our babe generally only cries at night when he is having his diaper changed), just grunts and babbles and chirps and noises that sound slightly complainy. Our baby sleeps in a crib in our room, and I know that sometimes I mistake sleeping noises for awake noises and end up waking him up by picking him up out of his crib. I can't see in the dark if his eyes are open or closed, and I've been reluctant to turn on a light because I think that will wake everyone up more. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 06:37 AM

I use a night light, just bright enough to see if the baby's eyes are open, change diapers/potty and latch on. That way there is no change in light to wake either of us up more than we already are.

#3 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM

I second using a night light.  And unless I suspect a poop at night, I don't change the diaper.  We bed share and my didn't wake up that age at night or make much noise, she would just bat at me when she needed to eat, so I don't have much to offer in that department.  But unless the baby was awake, I don't think I'd respond.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#4 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM

It took me so long to figure this out! My DD was a very noisy sleeper sometimes. Generally, though, she would fuss if she wanted to eat, and I just assumed that was the only reason she'd be waking otherwise. So even though she was right next to me in bed for the first three weeks, and then moved to a crib in our room, I didn't get up unless she fussed, and then I just assumed she needed to nurse. Over time, the night noises reduced--by three months or so she wasn't such a noisy sleeper, and so if she cried out, I KNEW she needed something (generally, just eating--dirty diapers never seemed to bother her much).

So I guess my advice is, maybe wait to see if he actually seems upset or needy, and otherwise try to assume it's a sleep noise? If he really was hungry or needed a diaper change, I'm guessing he'd probably do more than just grunt or squeal. If he's just kind of talking a little, you might be surprised by him falling back to sleep on his own (my DD often did).

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#5 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 05:27 PM

If DD needs to eat or is otherwise uncomfortable, she won't stop with the noises. She rarely cries out but she smacks her lips when she wants to eat or rustles around continuously in her bed until I get her up. Also, we have this turtle nightlight that puts the constellations on the ceiling and that is just enough light for me to see what I need to without disturbing us or DH.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page