If your baby doesn't nurse to sleep, how does naptime/bedtime work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds2 (one year old next week) nurses to sleep for most naptimes/bedtimes. My husband can get him to sleep usually by walking around with him, but it's generally easier and faster for me to nurse him. Last night ds2 wouldn't nurse to sleep. I was so tired I just dozed while he crawled around on the bed. Once in awhile he would lay down for a few seconds, before getting up again. Babbling the whole time. (It was quite cute!) Finally after about 30 minutes he went to sleep - without any help from me! I think I bored him to sleep, lol!

Today for naptime it was almost the same thing, except he got agitated after crawling around on the bed for about 15 minutes so I nursed him and he seemed asleep in a minute, latched off, looked at me, rolled over and went to sleep.

Overall nursing to sleep is definitely faster and easier, but I'm intrigued by this idea of him going to sleep on his own.

If your little one goes to sleep on his/her own, how does it work? Do you have a routine? How long does it take? And most importantly, does your baby sleep well???! :) Last night ds2 slept a little bit better than normal but not enough to say that it was a big change, but I gotta admit I'm wondering if he'd sleep better if he didn't nurse to sleep. My oldest didn't nurse to sleep and he was a much better sleeper. Obviously probably means nothing, but this sleep deprived mama is desperate! :)

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 05:52 PM

We just weaned our 20-mo-old this week, so I am right there with you.  We had to have daddy put him to sleep and get up with him when he woke up at night, for about a week.  Daddy sits on the edge of the bed, cuddles baby in his arms, and baby puts his nose in the crook of his elbow - very sweet.  Daddy sings and baby falls almost alseep, then Daddy puts him in the crib and pats his back.  After a week of this, he now sleeps through the night!  Amazing.  This child was an all-night nursing co-sleeper until very recently.  The trick for us was removing the mommy milk altogether and having daddy do it.

#3 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 PM

and I meant to add - now that baby understands going to sleep like this, it works for me to hold him in the same position and do the same thing too.  I had to stay out for about a week, but now I can do it.

#4 of 4 Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! Ds2 was up at least a dozen times last night so tonight we are going to try dh putting him to bed and see if that makes any difference. I doubt it will, especially since I think he may be teething, but it's worth a shot! I'm not trying to nightwean him yet - he's only (not even) a year - so if he won't go to sleep with dh I'll nurse him and when he wakes up I'll nurse him back to sleep like normal. Just wondering if we can squeeze a few hours of real sleep out of him somehow!! :)

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page