looking for soft soled, yet protective, shoes for 10 month old pre-walker - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is almost 10 months. She walks with our assistance, isn't walking on her own yet. We go to the park a lot, but the grass is wet and the weather is cold.

We need soft soled shoes that will protect her from moisture and cold and injuries.

Any recommendations? Thanks moms! :)

PS: I lean towards veganism, so non-animal materials would be super, but if you have leather ideas, that's fine too.

#2 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 AM

Well, the only suggestion is leather. Robeez slippers. They have a lot of styles. Unfortunately, they can be a bit expensive ($25). Target has a version that is not quite as nice but is only $15. The target version works for our family. Went to get the link and it appears that Robeez is having a sale on some of their styles and free shipping if you buy 2 or more

http://www.robeez.com/EN-US/ProductInfo.htm?PriceCat=2&Lang=EN-US

But here's the Target ones:

Clearance (there's more clearance,  I just looked in baby shoes and did it by sight because they have different brands of knockoff Robeez)

http://www.target.com/p/Bibi-Mimi-Infant-s-Giraffe-Shoes/-/A-13458396#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

Ministar: http://www.target.com/p/Ministar-Designs-by-Bobux-Infant-Girls-Pastel-Dot-Shoe-Brown/-/A-13327287#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

#3 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 AM

Ds1 wore rubber soles Robeez at 10 months in the winter for the same reason. They were great and kept the wet out but were very flexible. 

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#4 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 AM

third suggestion for Robeez... sorry they aren't vegan. redface.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#5 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM

may i recommend soft star shoes?  they have vegan ones too:  http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=44

#6 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas! will look into all these.

robeez seems very popular.

has anyone tried skidders? think they will work to protect against moisture and cold?

also, how long after she starts walking should she continue to wear soft soles?

and, i have a pair of chauchas (soft leather ones) - do you think if i paired these with thick wool socks they would protect her?

ETA: the chauchas are wonderful, but they get soaked!

#7 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A flexible soled shoe for an early walker, for cold, wet weather, these are my suggestions:

Simple Weetire shoes are eco-friendly and the sole is suede but thicker than the Bobux or Robeez, plus it seems either water resistant or actually waterproof, though it is not listed on the description. I don't know how, but my son has dry feet even after the sole appears soaked,

The sole is also thicker than the Robeez and Bobux, but still totally flexible. I really like them, they only go up to 24 months though, so my son is going to outgrow them soon greensad.gif

Great shoe though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFB7HA/ref=wms_ohs_product

Otherwise, I would suggest the Modern Basics Baby slipper, it is a shoe though. Again, wish they came in bigger sizes! The sole is waterproof but flexible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NAF7RI/ref=wms_ohs_product

In warm weather, I really like the Bobux but the sole is just too thin for cold....unless I suppose you size up and add thick socks or fleece liners. Though the soles are still not water resistant. I believe their Bobux I-Walks are water proof though.

Oh, regarding the Skidders, I returned them after seeing the fit was not good for my son. His big toe was red on the outside. The sole was rubbing it.

I am not familiar with the Chauchas but perhaps some type of waterproofing spray or wax would help? Though she may slip if the sole is too slick I suppose.

#8 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM

My favorite shoes ended up being some by osh kosh. We got them second hand but I think they're only like $9 new. They are mary jane style, just this soft canvas type material with soft rubber soles. I have her wear 2 pairs of socks so her feet aren't cold.  They're great, way better than more expensive shoes I have for her, also easy to put on and they never fall off. Also, sometimes I put a big pair of socks over everything, they get dirty, but when it's snowy I have found that works better than boots. I'm not big on worrying about how things look though lol.

#9 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Robeez!  LOVED THEM!

PatioGardener likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Another thought--in my area, children's consignment stores ALWAYS have gently used Robeez and the like. That way at least you wouldn't be contributing directly to the demand for leather products. I got DD a barely worn pair for about $8--even though she isn't walking yet, I like them because they keep her socks on (I got them to keep her feet warmer in winter).

NinasMommy likes this.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page