Bedtime Routine for 9 Month Old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-12-2004, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of bedtime routine do you have for your 9 month old? DS used to nurse to sleep, but he now seems to need a little more than that to relax and go to sleep. It takes me a couple minutes of rocking the mattress to get him to go to sleep. A bath isn't really an option because I'm not always home in the evenings and DH has a bad back so he wouldn't enjoy bending over and giving ds a bath. We turn the lights down low and try to slow things down a bit. What story books are good at this age (specific titles please)? Any other ideas?

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#2 of 4 Old 04-13-2004, 12:25 AM

If my dd is super tired, cranky, rubbing her eyes, I just feed her a bottle, and she will fall asleep.

However, if she doesn't seem tired, I will read to her, tell her a story, play pat a cake with her, anything that keeps her on my lap until she can get really calm. Then, I roll her in a blanket, and hold her quietly. Sometimes she fusses and squirms, but then she will fall asleep. Sometimes I sing to her, too. Lately, I have been giving her a pacifier only at sleep/rest times. It really helps her focus and she gets calmer with it. I used to be pretty anti pacifier, but now that she is older, I see they have their place. I only give it to her if I am holding her, also.

If all else fails, I take her into a quiet room and rock her to sleep.

I always bundle her up in a blanket when it is time to sleep. That always sets the mood. I also always hold her at least until she falls asleep.

any story book is good, but "Good Night Moon" for some reason seems to make her especially drowsy. I guess because the pictures get darker. There are many other 'bedtime' books on the shelf, as well. I prefer the books that have pages made out of cardboard, as dd can touch the pictures.
#3 of 4 Old 04-13-2004, 02:54 AM

The surefire thing in our routine is definitely bath and massage. Occasionally we skip it but it is the guaranteed method. Could your dh just do the massage part?
After nursing I'll sometimes transfer to a pacifier. I also have music playing for ds in his room, generally Bach or sometimes a lullabye cd.

On nights when he's especially restless I'll cuddle him and put on a Baby Einstein video (actually disc.....Baby Bach). I know a lot of people are anti-TV but ds loves it so much and it relaxes him a lot. I'll hum to the music and rock him. Lightly running my fingers through his scalp, across his forehead, down his body (arms, sides, legs, feet). As he gets more tired I'll start lightly running my fingers around his eyes, then over his eyelids as he starts closing his eyes. Before you know it he's sound asleep.
I wish someone would do this with me every night!
#4 of 4 Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 PM

We go upstairs at about 6 to her room. We change her diaper, let her play until she gets a little fussy and we see the eye rub. We get her PJ's on and let her play some more with the lights off until we see the eye rub getting more frequent or longer or its 7:00. Then we know its bedtime. We hug her and tell her that we love her. We put on her bedtime music and her teddy bear that has the heartbeat. Put her in her crib, cover her up with her blankie, and leave the room. Most of the time she is out before we leave the room. If she isn't she will whine for a couple of seconds and then will be asleep. This is the routine we have been doing since she was 2 months so she knows now at 10 months what to expect. We have also kept at stricted 7:00 bedtime for her with no exceptions since she was 3 months. That is what we do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page