Need help with 6 month old baby waking hourly - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello-

I have a 2.5 year old girl and a 6 month old baby boy. We are cosleeping with our little guy. I lie down with him in our bed and nurse him until he falls asleep. I then have a few hrs to catch up on laundry/emails/cleaning until I go to bed around 10 pm. He is then pretty much nursing hourly. I'm exhausted. I am working 2-3 days a week outside the home. I feel like I am falling apart and I don't know what to do. I am not comfortable letting him cry. This arrangement is not working so well for me though. During the day, I either lie down with him until he is asleep, or he naps in the ergo.  I don't know what other cosleeping parents do and don't know anyone in the area who cosleeps who I can talk to.  I feel so cranky and awful. I feel like a disaster all day long and feel like a danger on the roads.

He has not started solids yet, I was waiting until he could sit up on his own.  He is starting to crawl a bit this week and is drooling/likely teething.  Perhaps these things are contributing to his wakefulness but I am not sure. He has been nursing about 4 times per night since birth. (I nurse him on demand during the day too).

Thanks very much-
Erin

#2 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Did you just begin working outside of the home? If so that may account for it.

If not then he may be working on a developmental milestone and in need of the extra nourishment and nurturing. It does sound like a temporary change though, given his normal night nursing pattern.

Hopefully he will return to his regular pattern soon. Hang in there.

#3 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

exactly what my first dd did around that age.  Lasted until 10 months when she finally learned how to fall asleep without a boob in her mouth (or being carried in wrap, ergo, etc).  All babies awaken every 45-60 min or so....and some can fall asleep again more easily than others.  If it's not teething, etc, the consider it could be a very strong sleep association.  The No Cry Sleep Solution has some very useful info on understanding infant/toddler sleep.  Didn't work 100% for us but it did help quite a bit.

silversparrow likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM

It could be a growth spurt...six months is a pretty standard one. If it is, then this will all be temporary!!! If not, I'm interested in some ideas too, b/c I'm dealing with the same thing with DS. I've manged to get him to go to sleep around 9 (instead of 6, which he started doing once the time changed...grrr), but I still need to lie with him or dh has to bounce him. Durig the day I will transfer him to his swing with a paci (yep, I've had to give in on some things I was staunchly against before having a baby). At night though he will go down, and sleep a lon stretch (in which I too am doing stuff) and then want to nurse every 1 1/2 hours. I feel your pain mama.

Lets hope it's a temporary growth Spurt!!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#5 of 8 Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 PM

My dd did this at about 4 mos for maybe a week or 2, but while I was going through it, it felt like 3 months.  Then, as quickly as it started it stopped.  I also work outside of the home 3 days per week.  I never let her cry it out, but I didn't feed her every hour, I would put her back to bed other ways when she woke up.  My only advice is COFFEE and lots of it!  That is the only way I survived that time period.  It will end, just like every other baby phase.

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#6 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 PM

OP, my DS has done the exact same thing for about a month (he's 7.5 months).  I am coming to believe that it is going to be a situation like dot1 had where he does this until he stops.  I also work outside the home, and I'm EXHAUSTED.  I cherish the nights that he wakes every 2 hrs instead of every hour.  No advice, just total commiseration.  You are not alone.  We'll make it through somehow... and then someday, they won't do it anymore.  hug2.gif

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

#7 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the support. It honestly is a life saver to hear other women having this same experience.  Most people I talk to about this look like I have a 3rd head and ask why I haven't let him cry-it-out yet....  I have no friends in the area who are interested in attachment parenting so it does feel quite lonely.  Every morning I tell myself that this is best for him, but somehow I wonder about the rest of the family. :) Someday these babies are going to sleep through the night and we'll miss these times I am sure.  Thanks again for the support. Happy Holidays!

#8 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM

I am feeling for you and living in the constant exhaustion, too!  DD is 9 months and has been waking up hourly since birth.  Sometimes in the dead of the night (around 2-4), I'll get those 2 hours of sleep uninterupted :(  She's awesome during the day - SO happy!  And when she wakes up, she immediately falling back to sleep by nursing, so it's not like we're up all night with a screaming babe, but it's still very tiring!  This is not a growth spurt (I guess her whole life has been a growth spurt though :), there's been no routine changes, she hasn't grown any teeth at all yet.  It's just constant.  I'm so ready for sleep!  I thought it would resolve itself around 3 months, then around 6 months, now I'm hoping that maybe at a year it will change? ugh.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page