Tasting Nature - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm always on here asking questions and looking for help. Thought I'd give back to the community a bit by sharing a moment of discovery today.

I've been toying with this idea for a few days now: if DD gets her immune support from my breastmilk, shouldn't I put the same yucky stuff in my mouth that she does?

We go to the park practically every day. While I love nature, I haven't put dirt, sticks, found items, etc, in my mouth since I myself was a baby. But today, I did. 

DD is 10 months old. She went through a long stretch, from about 4 months to 9 months old, without putting anything in her mouth. Now, all of a sudden (possibly because she's getting into solids?) a lot of things make it into her sweet baby mouth, her discovery portal.

This morning as she raked her little fingers through the grass picking up sticks, acorns, dry leaves, I attempted putting some stuff in my mouth too. I tasted a stick! It was - woody? I still have a ways to go before I'll put a dirty bottle cap or crumpled envelope in my mouth, but hey, at least I'm open to the idea now! LOL

#2 of 4 Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 AM

that reminds me of something I read... the reason we have an almost instinct to kiss our babies from head to toe is so we ingest all of the germs they come into contact with for the reason of immunities via breast milk. interesting, right?! I feel like it makes perfect sense!

way to think, mama! and how neat that you are experimenting with things like that... kinda cool in a put-yourself-in-her-shoes kind of way! orngbiggrin.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#3 of 4 Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

sweet! do you remember where you read that?

i've actually been pondering a lot on what our reason is for "gobbling up" babies... it seems to be almost universal. i had started thinking it could be: because babies are delicious, but why are they delicious, because they drink mommy's milk! haha!

but i like your explanation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrli View Post

that reminds me of something I read... the reason we have an almost instinct to kiss our babies from head to toe is so we ingest all of the germs they come into contact with for the reason of immunities via breast milk. interesting, right?! I feel like it makes perfect sense!
way to think, mama! and how neat that you are experimenting with things like that... kinda cool in a put-yourself-in-her-shoes kind of way! orngbiggrin.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 AM

yeah... I have no idea where I read that... redface.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page