Baby just fell down stairs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ds2 (12 months old) fell down the stairs tonight. Just the first half - five steps. He bounced off the wall at the end. He seems fine. A few minutes of nursing and he was back to crawling around and wanting to go back up the stairs.

ds1 has had worse falls but I've never seen them so clearly. I was right at the top of the stairs inches from grabbing him before he fell so I got a really good view. I am traumatized. I even called our provincial public health helpline to have someone professional tell me the head injury signs to watch for instead of just googling them.

I won't sleep tonight. I'm going to be waking ds2 up every couple of hours to make sure he hasn't lapsed into a coma. Oh god my nerves.

I just needed to get it out there. Thanks for listening!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 PM

My DS has done the same thing several times - if he cried right away, and is now back to his normal activities, I really wouldn't worry about it. Maybe worry if he goes to bed alot earlier than normal, or if he's unusually cranky or something. Otherwise, don't worry. It happens - you did nothing wrong.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM

It happens to all of us. Last week my 1-year-old had just gone potty (we EC) and I was trying to hold him in one arm and wipe his bum with the other hand when he arched his back wildly, went over my arm, I lost my grip and he went head first into the bathroom floor! To make it worse it was almost bedtime, so I couldn't tell if it was normal sleep or not... just kept sneaking in to monitor his heart rate and breathing, and I checked his pupils with a flashlight a few times before bed too! He was fine... 

Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I know it's not my fault and I know he's probably fine - like I said my ds1 has had worse accidents than this (he's 7 so we've had lots of time to get them in!) but this one was just so dramatic! Ugh. So my brain understands just fine but my heart will take some time to get the message! :)

Thanks for listening!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Tags
Baby
User Tag List