#31 of 38 Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

and even if what folks say is happening is in fact happening, there is no real way for it to happen and relieve pain in one minute, further proof in my eyes that this is a placebo effect.
People have been using amber teething necklaces or a long time, and in many different cultures.   Save your skepticism for something that deserves it. Seriously. 

Everything deserves skepticism! Seriously.

That folks have done it for a long time does not make it anything more than what it is. We collectively have been doing tons of things that don't work for a long time. And used many things for a short time that dont either and some that do, the timeframe of use has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of the medicinal claim.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#32 of 38 Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uh, yes, that really needs to be said!? We have an amber teething necklace and I don't think it does crap beyond look cute. And annoy my mom.
#33 of 38 Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

mine seems to work.  

if you want to be scientific about it, ask yourselves what is the common property between so many different cultures that they all seem to have independently discovered the amber teething necklace to help with teething problems.  Im all for skepticism too. 

#34 of 38 Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought it was only Baltic amber that was purported to work?
#35 of 38 Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 PM

I would have to start by asking for proof that:
"many" cultures actually used it,
actually used it for teething pain,
thought it was more direct help than, for instance a "charm"
And that those cultures came up with it completely independent of each other, rather than something that spread thru trading routes or similar means.

Not that this info would proof it worked, but it would be integrating info in looking at why folks thought it did.
As for different cultures all coming up with the same false conclusions from vague correlation, happens all the time, it's called human nature and is a byproduct of how our brains are wired.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#36 of 38 Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

i guess the  simplest way to go about it, would be to literally test the product itself. If amber causes  chemical reactions that lead to decreased pain at skin touch, then surely  this could be measured scientifically. How did they come to that conclusion in the first place?  I havent read the whole thread, or researched it. Maybe someone here has.  It surely must be an pretty straight forward claim to dis/prove scientifically.

It reminds me a bit of the debate around vitamin c,   whoever it is actually still go on about how its health benefits have yet to be proved. (and im the naive idiot who actually believes it prevents my cold every time, and has done since childood) 

#37 of 38 Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM

I don't know about that brand but we used an amber teething necklace from The Art of Cure from 6 months old to present (4.6yo).  She never had any teething issue.  I was pretty skeptical but now I'm a true believer. I think when I realized that her amber necklace was truly helping with her teething in her baby teeth (so cute) was when I was at a mom & dad group talking with another mom and she was expressing that she hadn't had much sleep in the last week, her baby was miserable and crying constantly.  This poor woman was exhausted and at her wits end.  Our babies were the same age with the same number of teeth and we hadn't experienced any of that.  Then I noticed our daughter felt really warm one evening, her cheeks were a little rosey so I checked her temperature - it was slightly elevated but not too bad.  She was sleepy so I laid her down early and she slept soundly all night.  I checked on her now and again through the night and she was very deep asleep.  She slept in late that morning, I think she slept until 9 or 9:30a that day.  She woke up fresh and happy, not extra warm anymore.  Then I notice BAM!  she had just cut a molar.  I was floored!  The only thing I had to attribute this little miracle to was her baby teething necklace as there was nothing else I could attribute it to.  Since our super positive experience with teething I recommend The Art of Cure to everyone I know with babies!  I realize some people are skeptical and I used to be one of those people.  I try to spread the word as much as I can because I felt sooooo sorry for that exhausted mom and her miserable baby... it's so unnecessary, nature has provided a solution and it is baltic amber but you've got to get the authentic stuff.  OH... and it is very light in weight.  Think of dried tree sap because that's what it is.  Prehistoric tree sap... like 30 to 60 million year old tree sap.  I dunno, it works!

#38 of 38 Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 AM

Hi,

This is the amber necklace of the shop I ordered from. I would like to know if this kind of product really work ! Have you already get any problem with this kind of product on your babies ? I gonna receive my necklace soon, I am little bit affraid !

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page