January 2012 Whatever Ladies Are All Done Having Their Babies! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Carrie ~ I'm just thinking in terms of Dylan. Finn is only 2 weeks younger, right? He seems to following right along with Dylan. Dylan was very fussy and keeping crazy hours last week, started sitting up and trying to crawl and things have settled a bit.

Yes I think they're like 2 weeks apart.  Oh that gives me hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

*disclaimer* sometimes they do make noise. I don't necessarily run to get them. I don't consider what they do *crying it out* because they are never actually crying, and if they DO start crying I will go get them. HOWEVER, they do talk, whine, etc. to themselves. 

All three of my kids have been able to put themselves to sleep by 6ish months - and they are ALL very different personality and needs wise. PLUS they go through rough patches even after they have been self-soothing. I remember when M was teething at like 15 months I would be up for two hours at a time some nights sleepytime.gif

Nora would have been full out screaming if I ever tried this with her, no matter what her age, lol.  Honestly, this past month (and she's 3) was our first real breakthru with sleep.  She's finally going to sleep on her own.  And sleeping thru the night.  It took 3 years but damnit, she's doing it herself!!  I hope she doesn't regress, but even if she does, I know she *can* do it, so I know we'll get thru that too.

This is helpful to hear though, b/c I definitely want to be more hands off with Finn if I can.  He seems to be able to fall asleep on his own and is/was a better sleeper than Nora, so I want to harness that!!  LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Gah. Why haven't they made a pertussis only shot? It seems like there's demand from it, just based on google information. I guess we'll keep researching until something 'feels right'

Yes!!

We split them up and do the dtap with hib in one visit, and then in a few weeks do prevnar with polio.  I alternate until both series' are complete.  Then I'll start something new.  Idk.  It's a lot of visits, but it's worth it to me to split them up and only do 2 shots per visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I love my BG 4.0.

Carrie (and everyone else too) have you looked on FB or something to see if you have a local babywearing group? that is where I've met my awesomely crunchy IRL friends. There is a a mama there that fully vaxes (alot of us choose to delay/selective/non) but I know she's done her research and just come to a different conclusion than we did. I have a lot less problems with that than IRL friends that just blindly give their babies shots because someone said so. A lot of cloth diaper, co sleep, extended breastfeed, NIP without covers, etc. Its so nice to be able to talk about that stuff with IRL people wo understand!

Me too!

I should try to find a group.  I met 2 moms through the Target Nurse-In, which was great, but we have yet to get together.  Thanks for the idea.

AFUs - we had a better night last night!  I tried to be more hands off, like I said, and it really did work.  I put him in the cosleeper after nursing him, and he fussed.  He went, "wahhh, wahhh, wahhh -- " then found his thumb, started sucking, and fell asleep.  I was like, whoa.  Ok.  He woke 2 hours later, nursed him, put him back -- same thing.  Fussed for a few seconds, and then found his thumb, went to sleep.  He woke every 2 hours or so, but after 4 am I just brought him in the bed and nursed him lying down.

Oh -- I took off the swaddler though once I brought him in bed.  It *really* helped, I think.  He had better ability to roll around and kick, and position himself to latch on alone.  I popped him off every time and didn't let him (or me) fall asleep nursing, and each time he settled himself within a few minutes.  

One of my girlfriends is having her 1st baby next month, and man.  Her comments to me on my FB are pushing my buttons!!  She took a parenting class and she thinks she's an expert on EVERYTHING now.  If she weren't 8 mo pregnant, I give her a serious piece of my mind.  And she delivers her comments with little tact.  Ugh.  A class just cannot prepare you for how babies rock your world.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#422 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ Just LOL and make some sarcastic comment about how people always think they know everything about kids before they have any. winky.gif

You guys can't see the pics I posted on here or through the link to my albums?

I got lazy with the album sharing and didn't check to see if they were public or if I had to set up a password. While setting up the sharing site, it said I didn't need passwords so maybe all my albums are private. I'll have to see about that because I don't really want to make them public for anyone to view. There are a lot of naked baby pics that I don't want to end up floating around on the internet. It's also a Beta thing so all the glitches may not have been worked out. I actually couldn't view the photos in the albums when I clicked on them. The site seemed to think it opened up the albums but I just got blank pages.

annie ~ I almost mentioned using natural oils on the skin if it's dry and/or cracked, as long as there are no added perfumes or anything like that. We use coconut oil here. My neighbor from Spain uses olive oil for everything. Kukui oil was a big one in Hawaii.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#423 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 AM

Carrie - that's great! I like to let babies figure out stuff if they can. I still think Norah will be a thumb sucker, but right now she's still on the paci. I really want her to be a thumb baby, is that bad?

I almost always pop Norah off the boob at some point at night, else she'd pop off and on for hours. stick the paci in and she goes right to sleep.

My sister is like that, and she's not even pregnant! LOL

we helped her move this weekend and she was admiring my mad wrapping skillz. LOL I am so GLAD that she admires it and just doesn't think its weird. evidentally their former roomates have a high-needs baby and she said Norah is so happy and easy in comparison.

oh, we went to the mall and we got stopped by a pregnant couple asking about my woven wrap (I had Norah in a one shouldered front carry) and that was cool, except they asked if you could wear a baby facing out in it. I said you *could* but you shouldn't because it's bad for their spines. they looked so disappointed! why do people want to wear babies facing out? I said you can wear baby on your back if they want to look around, or on your hip.

OOOH and I cut my hair shorter. when I can, I will get and post a pic :)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#424 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 AM

I could see them.

oh, and Norah gets bathed once a week. with soap because I like the smell. (it's the aveeno calming stuff) though maybe I need to switch now. we don't use lotion.

we tried coconut oil on her scalp for the cradle cap. it combined with her natural scent is just awful. we switched to using pure lavendar oil instead.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#425 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 AM

I give Finn a bath prob every 2-3 weeks.  We use soap, though.  Oh, and Finn's still got a bit of cradle cap going on.  The bath seems to exacerbate it.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#426 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:

we tried coconut oil on her scalp for the cradle cap. it combined with her natural scent is just awful. we switched to using pure lavendar oil instead.

If you use coconut oil (I have never used lavender oil so that might work too) in the bath, let is soak, and then comb in off with a fine tooth comb - it goes away and doesn't come back! My sister taught me that trick. Her three year old had really really bad cradle cap - and that was the only thing that work.

Carrie - we will see how well she fares when she has her baby orngtongue.gif. I had a TON of experience with babies/kids and I still knew it was going to be hard.......and it was. 

I am about to use olive oil on my feet. They are pretty dry and nasty whistling.gif

AFU - I am pretty sure M has strep. She has had a pretty high fever since Friday and I looked at her throat last night and it had the white pustule things. DH is taking her in today to get her (and his) throat cultured. I guess HE has had a sore throat for about 3 or 4 weeks............hmmmmmm - don't you think you MIGHT want to get that checked out?!? Boys. 

I am going to forsure get some probiotics if she has to go on antibiotics. Do you guys think I can give her kefir while she is taking the antibiotics?

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#427 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

If you use coconut oil (I have never used lavender oil so that might work too) in the bath, let is soak, and then comb in off with a fine tooth comb - it goes away and doesn't come back! My sister taught me that trick. Her three year old had really really bad cradle cap - and that was the only thing that work.

and I mean comb off the cradle cap of course. I always used one of the little black barber combs. It *really* does work. I have used it on several children - and if you let the coconut oil sit and then comb it off it doesn't come back. I was always told not to touch it because it would come back worse than before. Doesn't happen if you do this. 

Apparently it IS true that it comes back worse if you just scrape it off though - because my sister's then three year old boy had about 1 inch of cradle cap. That is how she figured this out  - LOL

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#428 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

i think it's a lot better to wear baby facing out in a wrap or ABC than a bjorn. you can position more like they are seated. it's tricky, though.

looking through my old photos made me want to cut my hair short again. i really liked the way it looked. i had to shower and blow dry it every day, though, which i don't have time to do now. i just put it up in a makeshift bun so dylan can't pull it.

the coconut oil can get stinky but i've found it doesn't linger, at least for us.

i think soap can exacerbate cradle cap because it dries out the skin. dylan still has a tiny bit. i can only see it if i look really hard. he showers with me, which is probably 3-4 times a week. maybe once a week i use my naturally luxe bodywash/shampoo on him because i like the smell. that actually seemed to help clear up the cradle cap, maybe because it has essential oils in it. shrug.gif i don't have any idea if ethan and kellen use any soap. i don't think they use shampoo. they aren't stinky or oily to me but maybe i'm just used to them and their smells. when i first met sean he was using soft soap in the shower. it did not mix well with his natural scent so i told him to switch. he now uses ivory and doesn't smell funny anymore. i can't get him to use any of my handmade soaps.

oh, jj, have you tried just baking soda as a deodorant? i've read about some people doing that.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#429 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 AM

I agree, it's probably a bit better for their hips. I guess for me too, it's just not super comfy. I like my babies facing me. Now, in a stroller, I like the babies to face out, because both mine seem to enjoy that alot.

Her cradle cap is almost gone, it's just a couple of flakes now. I don't really comb it, but I use a washcloth to kind of exfoliate it.

Gabe uses some sort of foaming soap in the bath. He loves that it foams. He doesn't care what sort it is. He sometimes still gets a bit of cradle cap; it's worse in the winter. He loves having his head rubbed with oil.

He is hating having his shirt taken off the last week or so. It's such a fight, and I don't know why! not his pants or diaper  - that's just the usual toddler stuff - but just his shirt. And he is biting. I have a bruise. I showed him, and said ouch, hurts! and he repeated what I said, but I don't know that he understands. He still leans into me with his mouth open, but hasn't bitten again. He bit my dad too - same place  - on the top of the shoulder. it's when he's super tired. I was so hoping to avoid a biting phase!

#430 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 AM

Hi everyone!

I too follow along but don't post very often!  I loved seeing all of your pics!  Fun!  Here is a link to some of the family pics that a friend took for us - this was her first time doing an actual photo shoot with her new equipment!  These were back when Dax was just about 6 weeks - there are a lot so don't feel like you have to look at them all! 

So we are doing pretty well here.  We have started up with "school" a little more the last couple of weeks.  Kenya is doing well.  We were doing that book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and it was going ok - but she seemed to be having a hard time going from that book to real books - she would just say "I can't read" when we went to a real book, so I didn't push it.  Then I remember back a while MW - you had said that your DS just kind of started reading at one point, and that is what she is doing now - we haven't done much in the 100 Easy Lessons book, but she seems to just "get" reading now.  So I am happy about that.  She loves math too.  I try to squeeze as much into each activity as I can - like for ex - she wants to learn the days of the week - so every day she prints out the day and date and the weather.  So for that I figure she gets printing, learning the days of the week and the months, and she gets to practice her numbers too.  Some might say science too since she has to figure out what the weather is for each day. 

Oh Carrie - I know what you mean about people thinking they know EVERYTHING because they have read a book or went to a class!  That drives me insane!  I have a friend who has a baby who is just about 1 now.  Well - she knows everything!  When I was pregnant she had to tell me all about pregnancy because she knew it all - I guess she must have forgotten that I was pregnant for the 3rd time!  She still tries to tell me everything about kids now.  I am just glad she lives 2 hours away and I don't have to listen to it every day!  On the other hand I have a friend who is due for #1 any day now and she is the total opposite she has tons of questions and is very nervous about it all - so since I have had to deal with the Know-it-all types I try very hard to say things like "well I think or "this is what I would do or what worked for me.  And she gets tons of advice from family etc (unwanted) so I told her that she should do her research and listen to what everyone tells her and then make up her own mind - Do what she feels is the best, because what is right for one person is not right for everyone.  Someone once told me that you're not a "real" parent with only one child!  I had no idea what they were talking about until I had 2!  It is so much different - every baby is different - then when they get older they fight and you have to deal with the different personalities and dividing your time between them all - it is so much harder!  Anyway - not that I think you're not a real parent to just one kid - just that it is harder and a lot more complicated with more than one.

Annie - So glad Ava is home.  Is she done now - or are there more procedures when she gets older?

Our Addition is coming along pretty well - DH was putting the drywall on our bedroom last night so that was exciting.  I would say a month or 2 and we should be moving in! I can't wait - we are so cramped in here now - I keep getting rid of stuff and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

For baths - the girls (3 and 6) probably get a bath every 2 or 3 days unless they are doing something that is super dirty and they need one more often - we have dry skin and it gets worse if they bath every day.  Dax probably gets a bath once a week - and that is just in the shower with us, once in a while I take him in the tub but usually just the shower with DH or I and I do use soap/shampoo on him because I like the smell of it.

Dax is fairly good at getting himself to sleep too.  He kind of whines a little bit and he turns his head to the side of whatever he is in - or pulls a blanket up by his face and then just "sings" himself to sleep.  I can tell the difference in his cries now so I know when he is crying and when is just "singing" himself to sleep.  He is such a different baby in regards to sleep than I was used to!  In a good way!  Last night was a rough night - but it wasn't him it was DD2 and the cat!

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#431 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **mom2one** View Post

Dax is fairly good at getting himself to sleep too.  He kind of whines a little bit and he turns his head to the side of whatever he is in - or pulls a blanket up by his face and then just "sings" himself to sleep.  I can tell the difference in his cries now so I know when he is crying and when is just "singing" himself to sleep. 

This is what I'm talking about.  How long does it take them to get to this point?  I lay Finn down for his nap sleepy, full tummy, but awake, and he'll lay in there for 25-30 min awake, fussing at times, yelling out, yawning.  By then I'm aggravated.  Its easier just to nurse him til he's out cold and lay him down asleep, and then he'll sleep for an hour or two.  

BUT, now that he's randomly falling asleep in places, and seems to be able to soothe with his thumb at night...I should give him more opportunity to fall asleep on his own?  I wish it didn't aggravate me so much when he doesn't fall asleep.  I just feel like I"m constantly keeping an ear out and watching the clock and I hate that.

#432 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not comfortable wearing a baby forward facing in my ABC or wrap, either. I feel off balance. It can be done, though, because I've seen pics and maybe video tutorials on how to do it.

I saw that Naturally Luxe had foaming spray bottles for sell on the site. You could put any cleanser in it and it will foam.

#433 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

This is what I'm talking about.  How long does it take them to get to this point?  I lay Finn down for his nap sleepy, full tummy, but awake, and he'll lay in there for 25-30 min awake, fussing at times, yelling out, yawning.  By then I'm aggravated.  Its easier just to nurse him til he's out cold and lay him down asleep, and then he'll sleep for an hour or two.  

BUT, now that he's randomly falling asleep in places, and seems to be able to soothe with his thumb at night...I should give him more opportunity to fall asleep on his own?  I wish it didn't aggravate me so much when he doesn't fall asleep.  I just feel like I"m constantly keeping an ear out and watching the clock and I hate that.

I didn't actively try to get him to do this - but with 2 other LOs sometimes I just couldn't get to him right away - so it just started happening - by the time I did get to him he was asleep already.  I should say that it happens most often when he is swinging - maybe you could try that - feed him and put him in his swing for a nap??

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#434 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ I don't think there's any right or wrong way to put baby down as long as you aren't CIO. If nursing him down works for you, than stick with that. If you can put him down awake and he'll drift off to sleep without you getting aggravated, then do that, if you want. No reason to get yourself all worked up over something that you don't have to do.

Your description of feeling like you are always listening for him is exactly how I feel all the time and why I'm always so stressed. Even when D goes down for his early nap and I know it's usually at least 2 hours long, that's not guaranteed. I try to get some housework done or do something with the boys or sit and knit and relax but I never really can. I'm always on edge waiting to hear him wake up at any moment. I don't know that there's any way around that with a baby and other kids around.

The other night I got so angry. It was around 9 pm and Dylan had actually fallen asleep. I was hoping I could put him down for at least an hour and get some time to myself and then we could all go to bed. When I got upstairs Ethan was in the shower and Kellen was running around my room like a nut. I couldn't even get to them to be quiet before they woke up Dylan. I said, "That's it! I'm done! Ethan, take care of Dylan." I put Dylan on the bed and went back downstairs and into the garage to read for maybe 5 or 10 minutes without turning the monitor on. I didn't want to know if Dylan was crying because I just needed a few minutes. Thankfully, he wasn't upset. Ryan also constantly wakes Dylan up. He seems to manage to wake D from his afternoon nap almost every day. He gets up just about the time that D would go down and he's not very quiet. I keep trying to get him to understand that just closing his bedroom or bathroom door is enough to wake D but he doesn't get it. I get so angry!

#435 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **mom2one** View Post

I didn't actively try to get him to do this - but with 2 other LOs sometimes I just couldn't get to him right away - so it just started happening - by the time I did get to him he was asleep already.  I should say that it happens most often when he is swinging - maybe you could try that - feed him and put him in his swing for a nap??

Ohhh the swing.

Mixed feelings there.

Plus he's about to outgrow it.  I also don't want him dependent on movement.  Though, admittedly I still use it while getting DD down for bed when DH is out of town.

Quote:

Carrie ~ I don't think there's any right or wrong way to put baby down as long as you aren't CIO. If nursing him down works for you, than stick with that. If you can put him down awake and he'll drift off to sleep without you getting aggravated, then do that, if you want. No reason to get yourself all worked up over something that you don't have to do.
Your description of feeling like you are always listening for him is exactly how I feel all the time and why I'm always so stressed. Even when D goes down for his early nap and I know it's usually at least 2 hours long, that's not guaranteed. I try to get some housework done or do something with the boys or sit and knit and relax but I never really can. I'm always on edge waiting to hear him wake up at any moment. I don't know that there's any way around that with a baby and other kids around.
The other night I got so angry. It was around 9 pm and Dylan had actually fallen asleep. I was hoping I could put him down for at least an hour and get some time to myself and then we could all go to bed. When I got upstairs Ethan was in the shower and Kellen was running around my room like a nut. I couldn't even get to them to be quiet before they woke up Dylan. I said, "That's it! I'm done! Ethan, take care of Dylan." I put Dylan on the bed and went back downstairs and into the garage to read for maybe 5 or 10 minutes without turning the monitor on. I didn't want to know if Dylan was crying because I just needed a few minutes. Thankfully, he wasn't upset. Ryan also constantly wakes Dylan up. He seems to manage to wake D from his afternoon nap almost every day. He gets up just about the time that D would go down and he's not very quiet. I keep trying to get him to understand that just closing his bedroom or bathroom door is enough to wake D but he doesn't get it. I get so angry!

I agree.  I'll give it the old college try but I'm not going to let myself get worked up if it doesn't seem to click.

Isn't listening for them aggravating??  

I also have DH in the mix, sometimes him creaking the damn floor wakes the baby up. I wish everyone would just be quiet!!  I don't blame you for taking that breather.  I get angry like that and I see red!!  It's not safe to be around me, I don't think!!

I'm kind of grumpy today and I need to fix that.  Ok.  Taking a few deep breaths and mentally starting over NOW.

#436 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM

funny thing is; when DD is napping and I am dealing/playing with DS I look over and it'slike - OH she's still sleeping! yay - I spend so much time listening out for her, that when I stop, it kind of freaks me out. kind of like when you are pregnant and have to think about the last time baby moved because it's just become so integrated with who you are as a pregnant person.  IDK if that makes sense.

I saw a mom wearing her 1 year old facing out in the baby ktan without the extra middle support belt thing. It so freaked me out! it was so stretched out, and not supporting the little one really, it may have well been a crotch dangler, only stretchy.

I just listed a bunch of diapers on diaperswappers. I hope they sell quickly! (would love to pay off the lovely wrap I have on layaway!)

back to work . . . ugh.

#437 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 AM

Yeah - I know I worried about that too - but actually he seemed to have learned how to put himself to sleep while in the swing - and now he does it anywhere - in bed, in the bassinet (not very often though - it usually full of laundry!)

Daxton is a pretty sound sleeper actually  - I thought they all slept like that - he is usually out here in the living room with us - the girls are jumping around and are not quiet by any means - esp when  fight breaks out and he sleeps right through it or if they do wake him up it's just for a few seconds and then he's out again!  We have always made it a point to have him sleep in a noisy environment - that way he is used to it and he sleeps right through it most of the time.  I guess I should count my blessings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Ohhh the swing.

Mixed feelings there.

Plus he's about to outgrow it.  I also don't want him dependent on movement.  Though, admittedly I still use it while getting DD down for bed when DH is out of town.

I agree.  I'll give it the old college try but I'm not going to let myself get worked up if it doesn't seem to click.

Isn't listening for them aggravating??  

I also have DH in the mix, sometimes him creaking the damn floor wakes the baby up. I wish everyone would just be quiet!!  I don't blame you for taking that breather.  I get angry like that and I see red!!  It's not safe to be around me, I don't think!!

I'm kind of grumpy today and I need to fix that.  Ok.  Taking a few deep breaths and mentally starting over NOW.

#438 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'd probably be worried about a bigger baby facing forward in a stretchy wrap, too. I've never used a stretchy wrap but that doesn't sound safe.

The first hour of Dylan's nap is usually ok. I am pretty comfortable that he'll sleep for at least that long. It's the 2nd hour that has me on edge. Sometimes he makes noises, even screams or squeals, but then settles back down. After that, I'm constantly listening for him. And, an hour isn't much time to get anything done. I feel rushed to do anything. His happy and awake times are longer now so I try to get some cleaning done and do any cooking while he's happy playing on the floor or in his high chair. That helps. I picked up and vacuumed my bedroom this morning while he was downstairs with the other boys.

I nurse him to sleep but I don't really wait until he's completely out anymore. Once he feels very relaxed and dozing I put him down. He's usually still sucking a little and will sometimes open his eyes and move his head around when I first put him down. He usually quickly closes his eyes again and goes to sleep. He doesn't seem to care much where I put him down. I had to put him on a blanket on the floor while I was cleaning my bed last week and he didn't fuss at all about that.

#439 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM

I am a HUGE HUGE HUUUUUUUGE white noise addict. I have a fan in all of my kids rooms. Basically she can still hear stomping directly below her (in the kitchen) and/or if someone slams a door, etc. But she can't hear yelling, tv's, and you don't have to constantly worry about kids being loud.

My sister-in-law only has one kid - and she was all nazi about being loud when the baby was sleeping (I also think she used a swing for naps until forever too! LOL whatever works!) and I kept telling her to use white noise. She said no because she couldn't sleep with it ( they slept in the same room). Finally she did after about a year and a half and she has used it ever since. 

White noise is the answer I tell ya.

#440 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 AM

I too feel like the 1st hour is the safe zone -- then I don't know what I'll get.  I'm basically holding my breath for 45 min until I feel like he'll def be out that long, lol!

Mom2one - I think you just have a really good sleeper!  LOL!  I still think Finn is a really good sleeper, too, we just have our good days/nights and bad ones.  As long as people are happy and rested, I think things are going ok.  

MW - sometimes Finn does that, where he'll open his eyes and what not.  He settles easily.  Have you ever put any of your babies down sleepy but awake?  I wish I could be as chill as you about things, sometimes.  I feel a bit high strung and I compare myself and my kids to others too much.

#441 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mom2one ~ I think age has a lot to do with it. When D was really young, he could sleep in the same room with the boys playing and talking and it wouldn't wake him. As he's gotten older and more aware and wanting to be involved in things, he's more easily awakened.

I jinxed myself. After I said he's always good for the first hour, he woke up after only 30 minutes. lol.gif

Carrie ~ I haven't ever put any of them down awake. I guess I just equated that with having a nap schedule so it never occurred to me to do it. I don't think I'd know when would be the right time to do that since none of them ever had a set time for sleeping. I think I would get very frustrated trying to do that if baby didn't fall asleep. They've all had routines but not set times. KWIM? I just nurse when they want to nurse and, eventually, they doze off and I put them down. I can usually make a good guess based on the time whether or not babe will fall asleep at this or that nursing. There are a few times when I've tried laying down with them when I thought they were trying to sleep but being too distracted or disturbed. It was always hit or miss whether they'd actually fall asleep. I would get very frustrated and feel like I wasted a half hour if they didn't fall asleep.

What's the reason for you wanting to do that? Maybe if you explore that, you can find a solution you feel really good about.

I wouldn't say I'm laid back. I'd say more like resigned. I mostly just do the best I can do to get through each day.

I wish I could be more disciplined about bedtime with the older boys. I know that I could get them to sleep in their own beds in their own room if I worked at it. I just don't want to spend an hour plus every night doing bedtime, especially with Dylan. Kellen takes so long to settle that I'd be spending most of that time telling him to lay down and be quiet. It's much easier to just wait until he crashes.

Ok, one more pic because I think this is so sweet. Kellen is 11 months old in this photo.

#442 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM

MW: we don't have set naptimes either, though in the afternoon when Gabe is starting to get sleepy, I'll tell him to go get his blankey and have a cuddle (with it, not with me) and some days he does this without being asked. He's usually out in minutes once he gets it.

Most nights Gabe gets "put" to bed by one of us. sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. I don't really tell him to be quiet or lay down. just sit in there with him until he figets himself to sleep. sometime he wants his head stroked or to lay down on the floor. sometimes he doesn't want to be touched at all. worth it though. Last night he crashed on the couch. But he woke up like 3 times in the night. poor DH, as it's his job to put him back down - at least with Norah, when she wakes, all I need to is pop boob in her mouth or at most change a diaper.

I used to be able to lay Gabe down awake before hes was mobile. Once he could roll to a sitting position and then pull himself up to standing, that didn't work anymore. Then I had to go back to nursing or rocking and then transferring him.

#443 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:

MW: we don't have set naptimes either, though in the afternoon when Gabe is starting to get sleepy, I'll tell him to go get his blankey and have a cuddle (with it, not with me) and some days he does this without being asked. He's usually out in minutes once he gets it.

Most nights Gabe gets "put" to bed by one of us. sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. I don't really tell him to be quiet or lay down. just sit in there with him until he figets himself to sleep. sometime he wants his head stroked or to lay down on the floor. sometimes he doesn't want to be touched at all. worth it though. Last night he crashed on the couch. But he woke up like 3 times in the night. poor DH, as it's his job to put him back down - at least with Norah, when she wakes, all I need to is pop boob in her mouth or at most change a diaper.

I used to be able to lay Gabe down awake before hes was mobile. Once he could roll to a sitting position and then pull himself up to standing, that didn't work anymore. Then I had to go back to nursing or rocking and then transferring him.

Yeah - I wonder if I will have to do the same once Daxton is mobile?  It's not that I am trying to get him to sleep because it is "nap time", I can just tell that he is tired and is going to fall asleep - like he isn't really nursing just kind of holding it in his mouth, or like I said sometimes he is whining a little and by the time I get to him he is already asleep.

Carrie - Yeah I think I do have a good sleeper.  He def gets that from his dad!  DH can sleep through anything - He can sleep anywhere, anytime!  You could throw him on a big rock pile and he would fall asleep!  I am just going to enjoy it as long a I can!

Oh - after I said about him falling asleep in the swing I was getting really tired so I decided to take a nap so I picked him up out of the swing and took him to bed with me - he woke up a little and then once we got in bed he just had to have his face against the pillow (which kind of freaks me out - I have to wait until he is asleep and then I move it) and went back to sleep. Then he woke up hungry so I nursed him again and then I got up but he kept sleeping for a while longer - he's up now and very happy to see hi sisters again! 

I just hope the good sleeping sticks - the girls were a lot harder - Kacey was up nursing every two hours ( some nights) until she was over 2!

#444 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, things might be different here if I had another parent to help. That makes a big difference. If Sean were here, one of us could put the boys to bed while the other took care of Dylan. Sean has been gone so much over the years that we haven't been able to be consistent with it. When he's gone, I just do whatever works so that we all get the most sleep possible.

Kellen's not just fidgety. He jumps and runs around all over the place and yells and screams. So not worth it to fight with him about laying down in bed even if he was fidgety while laying there. When he was younger he used to fall asleep easily without any fuss. Not so much anymore, sort of. He just goes and goes and goes until he crashes. It's pretty funny, actually. We'll be in bed and he'll be talking and squirming and flopping all over the place one second and the next I realize he's not moving at all or making a sound and he's asleep. The nicest bedtimes for us have been when he's decided on his own to curl up on the couch with a blanket and just falls asleep. I can't stay up with him and Dylan like that anymore, though. I get way too tired.

#445 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM

If I didn't have DH or FIL to help put Gabe to bed, I would probably just bring Norah in with me while I sat with Gabe. I think. I can't always wait until he crashes because sometimes that is when he acts out the most so he really NEEDS to go to bed.

#446 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM

That picture is the sweetest thing I've ever seen!!  Awww!!!

That's all I do too, mw.  I just know when he'll doze off and when he won't.  Sometimes I set him down, sometimes I don't.  Sometimes he'll nap the entire time in arms (usually just one sleep cycle though).  It's all go with the flow.

I think it's b/c it's what you're "supposed" to do, and like I said, I compare myself too much to other ppl.  I know I do, I do it to a fault.  They all do this sort of thing.  I tell them not to stress so much over it, but then I turn around and wonder what I'm doing wrong or differently that it doesn't seem to work for my kids.  Who knows?  

Though, I don't know what I'm worried about.  I did what I always do and he just woke up from a 2.5 hour nap in his cosleeper.  I hereby give up trying to be someone I'm not!

Guys - I seriously just had a heart attack.  I drove off with my wallet on the roof of my car.  I took DD to school, dropped her off, and didn't realize it until I got home that it wasn't on the seat next to me.  I came in the house crying and DH was like it's ok, just retrace your route.  If it's not there, we'll deal with it.  I know he thinks I'm losing my mind.  I think I am too!!  Luckily, it was in the middle of the road not too far from my house.  I feel like OMG.  How did I just DO that???

#447 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 PM

at least it was only your wallet! I am so glad you found it!

the living social deal for today was a membership for the children's museum at 1/2 off (or more) - we had to snag it! I'm so excited. -

#448 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

If I didn't have DH or FIL to help put Gabe to bed, I would probably just bring Norah in with me while I sat with Gabe. I think. I can't always wait until he crashes because sometimes that is when he acts out the most so he really NEEDS to go to bed.

This is Kacey - she just keeps getting more and more wound up and acts out more and more until we are all so sick of her! lol  On the plus side - she falls asleep so fast when bedtime is left until she is at this point!  

Quote:

Well, things might be different here if I had another parent to help. That makes a big difference. If Sean were here, one of us could put the boys to bed while the other took care of Dylan. Sean has been gone so much over the years that we haven't been able to be consistent with it. When he's gone, I just do whatever works so that we all get the most sleep possible.

Yeah - you have a different situation than all of us - you have to be both parents!  I honestly don't know how you do it!  I have only had today being alone with the kids in a few days and I am about to go insane!  It doesn't help that they don't listen to me as well as they do to DH - and that is totally my fault - but seriously - You are superwoman to do it all by yourself every day!

Carrie - That would have been me - totally freaking out!  I am so glad you found it though!  

#449 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I didn't have DH or FIL to help put Gabe to bed, I would probably just bring Norah in with me while I sat with Gabe.

This is what I do. I just do it when we are all going to bed rather than at a separate time for him and/or Ethan. I have tried to go to bed with Kellen earlier and sit in the room with him but, if anyone else is up, he stays up. I can't turn all the lights out and lay down that early because Dylan is not usually ready to sleep and he'll will fuss and cry. It ends up being very frustrating for me trying to sit there for 2+ hours waiting for everyone else to fall asleep. Then I'm ready to go to sleep anyway so I don't really see the point in doing that. KWIM? It doesn't save any time or frustration or anything.

Kellen is a major handful. Most of the time I don't have any idea what to do with him. He can run around outside most of the day and still come in and be crazy at night. Nothing seems to calm him.

Carrie ~ I think all of that comes from the idea that we have to teach babies how to sleep properly and we shouldn't allow them to be too dependent on us. I just find that so silly. I know I've said before that babies will sleep when they are tired. I know some people have sleep fighters or babies that don't sleep much but they are the exception rather than the rule. Of course, natural sleep is harder to come by these days with all the media and artificial lighting we can have on all the time. WRT the dependence thing, I believe that if we allow our babies and children to be however dependent they need to be on us now, they will be more secure and independent when they are older.

Do the people you know who do that do any form of CIO?

Dylan finally fell asleep again. Ethan has basketball practice at 5:15 but I don't think we're going to make it. I'm just too tired and do not want to wake D up for that. I'm trying the white noise thing. I have ceiling fans in the bedrooms but they don't make much noise so I set the TV to a station that doesn't come in. Course, since this is his first real nap today I won't know if he stays asleep from exhaustion or the white noise.

Thanks, mom2one, but I don't feel like any kind of superwoman. It's just something I do because I don't have a choice (other than to not have kids, of course).

#450 of 510 Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Have you ladies noticed that all of your kids will hit a rough patch all at the same time?!? Not so much today - because M is so sick, but just in general, this past month has been H.E.L.L. 

Just whine, need this, whine, need that, hungry, whine, whine, whine lol.gif And then A is in her very frustrating beginning of toddler-ness stage. She climbs up something and can't get down and cries. TRIES to get down and doinks herself somewhere and cries. Cries to be picked up and the squiggles to get down immediately after nut.gif J is always wanting her hair or her dolls hair to be put up. And she is VERY particular about it so she usually takes it out within 5 minutes and wants me to put it up AGAIN and I just lose it after about the 10000000000 millionth time.

M is 3. nuff said.

K is pretty easy since she's older. Her homework drives me crazy though. I don't know what they do in public school for 7 hours to have to come home and have 1-2 hours of homework! I wish she didn't want to go, but she does, and so there you have it......

MW - how would that work for you? Are you so against it that even if your child WANTED and/or asked to go to public school you wouldn't let them? That is how my mom was. I'm kind of torn, because although I don't regret anything about not going to public school - and even had an awesome high school experience with being able to work and travel and take college courses but I DID want to go to public school in younger years but knew my mom wouldn't let me. Not sure I want that feeling for my kids.

RE: white noise.

I know how much it works because recently our power went out during a snow storm. It was about 9ish and A woke up for a snack so I was actually upstairs nursing her when it happened. I could hear nothing with the fan on - but with it off.......wow, every little word someone said! yikes! I do use a "real" fan. They are like 15 bucks at target. I am not sure they sell them this time of year, but I think they do.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page