Mommy preference - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi, I know its normal and natural for a baby to prefer mom. But lately our 7 week old screams louder and more high pitched than any other time when her dad holds her. Even if shes in deep sleep at the time we pass her off and she quiets right down as soon as I take her back. She even starts crying again if she hears dads voice when shes in one of these moods. The last couple of days she hasn't let me wear her much in any of our many carriers and I need to get stuff done! I'm really concerned, my partner feels rejected and we are both overwhelmed. It would be nice if he could just take over the household tasks but I don't want the house to burn down or for us to all get food poisoning. We have a roomate so I don't feel like I can let the house go to hell. Any advice? Anyone been over this kind of hurdle? Thanks!

mama to Fox Elijah 10/20/10-10/27/10 candle.gif and Raven Audrey 11/13/11

#2 of 3 Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Both of my girls had very early separation anxiety from 2-4ish months (our littlest is 3.5 months, and is currently with dadda, and has just calmed down.) Yes, it's frustrating and difficult for both of us, but for our oldest, who is now 2, the early separation issues were our only ones- she didn't go through "normal" separation anxiety at any other point, and now she very much is into Mommy, but also really likes doing stuff with Daddy. 

It sucks, but it's a good chance to really allow Dad and babe to develop their own relationship and for Dad to develop his own special methods for soothing baby.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#3 of 3 Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Mine was VEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY extra-attached to Mama until just recently.  I held her as much as she needed (and I needed!) and didn't really sweat it until, inevitably, I had to go get some errands done.  And no, it was not reasonable to take her.  And when I came home and found her still gasping and sweating in Papa's arms, and was advised that she'd screamed her little heart out (while being held and comforted) for over 20 minutes, I wanted to help her achieve a little more security with Papa, and then eventually other people.  So we just kept doing smaller time frames, and I'd have Papa hold her while I chatted with her over his shoulder...  She's 3.5 mos. now and she's fairly happy with Papa (although she has the odd meltdown when she looks for me and I'm not there).  She still doesn't like other people very much.  Heh.

I am very happy with my decision to be very hands-on with her, and I'm comfortable with my choice to allow her to be *almost* as attached as she wanted to be.  But I was not OK with her being utterly incapable of being without me for even an hour.  But I didn't really push too hard - and I think she appreciated that, in her own little baby way.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page