anger with 5 month old's night wakings - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Keep making calls.  It took me 2 weeks to find a pediatric dentist to clip DS' lip tie.  The ENTs wanted to put him under general anesthesia (this was at 6 weeks old).  The ped dentist put a topical pain reliever on, clip, done.  When I called they asked if it was affecting BF, and when I said yes they fit me in the same day. 

Tongue tie can be more involved depending, but keep calling.  You may have to push for it.  Tell them that their opinion is noted, but that you still want the surgery done because it is most definitely affecting her.  See what they say.   They have expressed their opinion, but you are still the mother, the one that has to deal with the problems. 

Alternatively, you can call your ped's office and ask for a referral for a tongue tie clip, find out who they send you to.  I know here there is 1 doc who everyone refers tongue ties to, and we're in a major metro area with a Children's Hospital.  But that doc won't do lip ties at all (which is why we had to find a dentist to do it). 

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#32 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

i'm just not sure if she needs it, since she has survived 6 months on breastmilk so she has managed.

nights are terrible though and getting worse, every time i put her down she screams until i feed her again so she never lets me sleep. i am so desperate that i let her cry but if she does manage to fall asleep on her own, she still wakes up within an hour.

#33 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM

My DD was always in the 10th percentile and I got lots of crap for it. She nursed round the clock too and never slept. It is challenging for sure! Hang in there and no you don't make
"low calorie milk" WTH is that? Just try to eat fatty foods yourself and keep up with your nutrition. When she starts solids only do fatty things none of those carby puff Gerber crap...do meat and avacado, banana etc...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#34 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostalina View Post

i'm just not sure if she needs it, since she has survived 6 months on breastmilk so she has managed.

nights are terrible though and getting worse, every time i put her down she screams until i feed her again so she never lets me sleep. i am so desperate that i let her cry but if she does manage to fall asleep on her own, she still wakes up within an hour.

Honestly, I think you're amazing that you've lasted this long with so little sleep.  My first 3 weeks were like that and I was ready to put him on some stranger's doorstep.  As soon as we started supplementing him so he got a full belly he started sleeping better.  If she isn't transferring milk well then she's never getting the full tummy feeling, and that would be why she's constantly wanting to eat.  Either getting her clipped and working with her so she can transfer milk better, or supplementing her would probably get you some more sleep. 

I will say though that as someone who had to have a tie clipped in my 20s, it would have been much easier, and far less painful if my parents had done it when I was a baby.  By the time I had it done they could only do a partial clip and the frenulum was so thick that it took several cuts (with surgical scissors) to get through it.  I was in pain for weeks. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#35 of 37 Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 AM

You are an amazing mom! It's so hard when your baby is so needy and you're doing all you can. Good work! Life without good sleep is so challenging, and it's hard to deal with so much conflicting and harsh advice from everyone you know. FYI, LLL has a national 800 number for help, and you can also call a LLL leader from outside your area and they will help you by phone. It sounds like you should keep trying to get someone to clip your baby's tounge tie. I think it would really help. Also, side-lying nursing took a long time for us to figure out, but is totally amazing now that we've got it down. I'd suggest that you keep trying that maybe once a week or so to see if you can eventually master it. You can also work on nursing in a carrier. Once we got Ergo nursing down it was great. Your dedication to your baby is really wonderful. Keep working at the feeding issues and other things and it will get easier.
#36 of 37 Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Sorry if I'm going to repeat what has been said so far - I've read the first post and first few replies but do not have time to read the entire thread. I had somewhat similar situation with night feedings with my DS when she was about 3 months old. She would feed for hours, and it was almost impossible to put her down once she was asleep - she would wake up and would cry. I was often falling asleep in seating position while holding her at my breast, and in the mornings was getting up exhausted. During the day my daughter would also nurse for long times with very short stretches between feedings. She is now almost 5 months but during the day she will not nap other than on breastfeeding pillow after I nurse her.

What I did, and what eventually helped:

1. I started expressing milk after her last feeding before going to bed so that I would have a little bit extra to top up after she would eat from the breast at night. This was pretty difficult to do since I could not express much (I could get only 15 mil. when started doing this), and also I would have to stay awake after putting her into bed instead of getting some sleep. The positive thing was that after a few nights I noticed that my milk supply increased, and also she started falling asleep pretty quickly when I started topping up the feedings with expressed milk. I would feed her first from both breasts until I noticed that she slowed down, then would give her the bottle, and then would put her back to breast just so she would fall asleep. I also bought a heating pad and would warm up her bassinet while I was breastfeeding, and would put her down on a warm sheet so she would not wake up from change of temperature.  

2. Even though I was able to express enough milk for nights to get her to fall sleep (2 ounces for each night) I felt that it might not have been enough for her to feel really full and gain weight well. At her 4-month doctor appointment she was at 50th percentile on height and almost at the bottom of the range on weight. I decided to supplement with formula, and do not regret it. I do it only for night feedings, and only once a night (her first wake up). When she wakes up second time my breasts are really full so that's enough for her to eat and get full quickly. She generally wakes up every 3 hours, eats for 0.5 hour and falls asleep. I figured supplementing was not going to do any harm since I still give her all breastmilk I can but giving her formula allowed her to grow better (she did gain weight since I started supplementing) and it definitely helped her to sleep better. 

#37 of 37 Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Somehow my message was posted twice so just deleting a duplicate. 

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page