Very erratic sleep patterns @ 4months - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, for the past few weeks my dd has developed very irregular sleep patterns. One night she will go to bed at 9 nursing only 2 and wake 2-3 times during the night, the next night it will take me 3 hours to put her down and then she will be up every 2 hours, every night is different. Some nights she nurses 4-5 times before finally falling asleep.

I've never had any issue with milk supply and she is a healthy 16 pounds, we do the same bedtime routine every night around 9, I tried waking her up at the same time everyday and letting her wake up naturally, made no difference, swaddling makes no difference, having her in our bed (as opposed to in her crib which is sidecarred) - made no difference.

This is my 1st - my gut is telling me it is normal and she will eventually find her own rhythm, but some days she looks so tried I am starting to think it may be unhealthy. 

Any advice/experience is appreciated - TIA!

Mama to M. born 09/2011

familybed1.gif bfinfant.gif

Keep calm & carry on treehugger.gif

#2 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM

My baby (3.5 mos) has been going through this too. We had a steady routine going for awhile that started to fall apart right around 3 mos. He started treating his bedtime as a nap and then was totally awake after 45 minutes-1 hour. So that pushed bedtime back to 10:30-11pm once he was finally tired again and ready to nurse to sleep. He also started refusing to nurse to sleep at times which was very hard on all of us. Now he will at least nurse to sleep but has kept on with the "fake bedtime" as we have started calling it. I don't really sweat it as I'm a night owl, and he sleeps in later in the morning (til after 9) to compensate. I do have to make sure to pay very close attention to his tired signs during the day and make sure he gets really good naps, which does take some effort with two other children. When you see what huge changes they are experiencing in terms of growth and development, it makes sense that their sleep would be affected too.

#3 of 4 Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM

Welcome to the infamous 4-month sleep regression.

My little one (4-mo-old in 2 days) went from sleeping through the night, 8-9 hours straight for 3 weeks, to waking every 1-2 hours. It's real fun. REAL. FUN.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go set my head on fire.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#4 of 4 Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link..... at least we're not alone!!

Mama to M. born 09/2011

familybed1.gif bfinfant.gif

Keep calm & carry on treehugger.gif

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page