Your baby is overweight - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took my DD to her 1 yr appointment today and the pediatrician was shocked because my DD weighs 29 pounds.  She was 7 lbs 5oz at birth but had a really hard time gaining weight. We found out when she was close to 5 months that she had a posterior tongue tie. After that was fixed, she started gaining.  She loves solids and eats pretty well. We just put things in front of her and let her choose how much to eat. She asks for food a lot during the day and nurses on demand. She eats super healthy stuff. We avoid processed foods and sugar. I don’t know what to think. The pediatrician was pretty adamant that my baby is overweight and needs to eat less. When I look at DD, I think she is just a healthy baby. What do you guys think? Do any of you were ever in this situation? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

My baby was 7lb 5oz too! At 6 months he is 19lb 14oz, EBF. I'm sorry but I think your pediatrician is full of it. It seems like your baby is being fed in such a way that her ability to sense when she is full would be well developed. Is she walking yet? When babies--->toddlers, they tend to slim down from the increase in activity.

I don't know about you, but in my situation, I was born at a little under 7lb and am kind of a small built person, and my dh was nearly a ten pounder who has remained solid! I think my kid was considerate enough to fit me when he was gestating, and then once he was out, caught up to his daddy. *shrug*

I know obesity is a big (haha) problem in our society, but I think the message is filtering down into baby care, and I don't like that. I never got it from a doctor, but some people are disapproving of a baby with nice rolls. Whatever!

At home amongst the redwoods 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11, and #2 due in October 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  Instant CNM, just add 
 !
#3 of 12 Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I also think the ped is full of it. I am petite and my husband is tall. We were both big babies, so I think it is normal for my DD to be chubby. I am just tired of hearing "Oh my Gosh, your baby is so skinny!" then a few months later "Oh my gosh, your baby is overweight!". I don't want to have to worry about her weight. Just seems like a silly thing. DD started walking when she turned 11 months and she is getting super active now. Maybe is just a matter of time until she evens out. 

#4 of 12 Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM

I have two boys who were both near 30 pounds at age 1.  My grandmother also "brags" that all her babies were 30 pounds by age 1.  They all turned out ok, no weight problems.  My first ds thinned out promptly after beginning to walk to the point where we worry he is too thin!  My second ds held onto his weight moreso than ds1.  He isn't obese, but he didn't shed the weight quickly as he is not as active as ds1.  He is now a 50 pound almost 5yo and is definitely heavy, but not overweight.  I would consider what you and your dh are like.  DS1 takes after his dad.... stringbean.  DS2 takes after me...a little meatier :)  

Follow your instincts, it sounds like you are doing a great job letting your baby figure out what and when to eat.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#5 of 12 Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Yeah, let it go.

I thought it was common for babies who start slow to really eat a lot for a while to kinda make up for it?  I've seen that in a few of my friends' kids.  One was almost fft at 7mo, and the doctor said just let her eat whatever she wants.  And she did, slurping the bbq sauce off of the pork rib bone and everything.  She LOVED food.  By 2.5 she was really, really chubby.  But, it all evened out, and she's a very healthy teenager now, and on the slim side.  I just think for a year or two she needed to "eat like a newborn".

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#6 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM

I think the only real concern is if he is in one percentile for height and a DRASTICALLY different one for weight. Or if he was Sudenly shooting out of his own curve for growth. Unless this is happening, I would chalk it up to docs worrying a lot about babies brig fed junk good and getting a lot if health issues early on. He should have phrased it better and ask more questions, but at least he is keeping an eye out for what could be a issue for some.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM

I also wouldn't worry yet. She is just now learning to walk, and you are feeding her healthy things, so I think you are doing fine. My ds is 9 months and 24 pounds, and, while he is definitely chunkier than other babies we know that are his age, his doctor has said there's no reason to worry about him being overweight, and it sounds like he eats and nurses about like your dd does. As long as you are not forcing her to eat more than she wants, she should really be fine. Does your doc really think you should feed her less? As in, even if she is hungry, don't feed her?! That seems wrong to me. 

#8 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM

I have a son who is about two and a half.  At 15 months, he weighed 31.5 lbs.  At 2 years, he STILL weighed 31.5 lbs.  During that time he gained lots in height, but no weight-- he recently had his first weight gain in almost a year and went up about a pound.  Some kids just grow faster earlier on, and I think that unless there is something that indicates a medical condition, the best thing to do is just wait and see if she evens out on her own over the next year or two!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#9 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

The ped said she was very worried (even referred to my baby as obese!) because she jumped percentile curves. She is 95 percentile for weight and 35 for height. It irritated me because she should had taken the whole case into consideration. The reason DD was very skinny in the first five months of her life was because she had a tongue tie. She started gaining weight and jumping percentiles since it got fixed. So why call my baby overweight now? She told me I shouldn't let DD watch tv (we don't have one) or feed her sugary foods (she only eats whole foods). I repeated multiple times what we feed DD and how (she decides how much to eat), but it was like the ped was on a fishing expedition and wasn't listening to what I was saying.  I was concerned when I just posted here, but I am not anymore. I took a good look at my child. She is happy and is developing great. She runs around all day playing. I will keep an eye on her and I may start looking for a new doctor who can see the larger picture. 

mamaofthree likes this.
#10 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

#11 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Definitely treat yourself to a new doctor whom you trust and who respects your parenting style and will look at the whole picture as you say.  Those percentiles are a guide and do not take the place of a real human looking at the child, checking out the situation and discussing the factors with the parents.  Otherwise, you could weigh and measure the child at home and just enter those numbers into the chart to find the percentiles and save the time and money of visiting with the doctor!  Percentiles give us some helpful information but not the end all be all indicating health.

#12 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 AM

yeahthat.gif

Your DD had a lot of catching up to do after the tongue tie. She's caught up, and that's awesome! Her weight might swing up and down a bit, but heck, she might be just about to go through a height growth spurt, and is just stocking up so she has the weight to do it. YOU know what she's eating, YOU know it's healthy, the doc seems to be looking for a problem that's not there. My 6 month old is 97th percentile for height (29 inches) and weight (23.2 lbs), but I can sure tell when his height is going to go up because he starts packing on the weight beforehand.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011
and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013

Owned by Friesians horses, dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens. Happily Homesteading in Saskatchewan!

Tags
Baby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page