Babies and sleep...is all night safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've read on several AP blogs that a baby sleeping through the night at three months isn't safe, increasing the risk of SIDS.  I haven't found any primary sources verifying this.  DD has slept through the night (about 8 hours, sometimes more) since about six weeks.  She went from being up about twice a night to sleeping straight.  I tried waking her up to feed at night, but unless she wakes up on her own, she refuses and goes right back to sleep.  About one night a week, she'll wake up hungry and I'll nurse.  It is great having a regular sleeper, but I do worry.  Does anyone have any information one way or the other about the danger/safety of young babies sleeping through the night?

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#2 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Bumping this for you because I'm also curious. My 9 week old has slept through the night since 6 weeks (8-10 hours). God help me if I wake her - she is NOT happy.

#3 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM

Ha! This is totally normal. Babies go through what is sometimes known as 'the honeymoon' stage from about 6weeks-3 or 4 months where they are amazing sleepers! my son was also sleeping through the night at that age. And then around 3-4 months they start to wake up more and more. You are ladies are fine. Enjoy it while you can. 

#4 of 10 Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Hi ladies!

Mine has also slept 6+ hours at a time at night since day 3;  she'll only sleep this well if she's nestled up against me, so we didn't sleep at all in the hospital, and when I got home I tried the co-sleeper for about 10 minutes before I decided "Screw it, I'm sleeping so I guess she's coming in bed with me!" and behold! a long nap and a realization occurred. 

I have also read that frequent wakings during the night help prevent SIDS, so I was also concerned, but she's a restless sleeper...  unless she's nestled up against me.  So I wondered if maybe the restlessness is insurance for when she's sleeping alone, her body protecting her when I've not yet brought her to bed with me.  I read through the paper published by Dr. McKenna out of Notre Dame, and have also read the condensed versions, and I am putting my eggs in the "Baby is meant to be physically near you for some time after birth, and this natural state will help decrease baby's risk of SIDS" basket. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#5 of 10 Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#6 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 AM

These babies exist?  Wow!  Enjoy your sleep, mamas!!

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 AM

Anything after the first few weeks would be awesome! 

May it last!!!!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#8 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM

I wouldn't worry about it.  All babies have periodic arousals from deep sleep to light sleep as they move through the sleep cycle and those are protective against SIDS...they don't have to become fully awake and cry and need to be fed etc etc.  If you wake her up to try to feed her or because you are worried, you have more chance of turning your great sleeper into a poor sleeper.

You are a lucky mama...just roll with it.

My little guy started sleeping through the night from 10 weeks (he's now 5 mo)...from 6pm to 7 am.  He eats a lot during the day and is growing just fine.

#9 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM

My little guy slept 6+ hours a night since Day 1 and he's six months now. If anything he sleeps more now...

Moo.

#10 of 10 Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 PM

I have had the same thoughts. My LO started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks and now at 6 months is sleeping 11-12 hours straight.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page