If you love your stroller....tell me, does anything like this exist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was thinking that you ladies would be in the best position to give me an opinion on strollers, since if you use one, you've probably looked at what's available recently!  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Here's what I have: a Kolcraft Contours Options 4-wheeler and a Britax Blink.

I love the Britax, and don't want to get rid of it, BUT my full-size stroller was meeting two needs that the Britax doesn't: first, the Britax basket is too small for a day at the zoo with a little one still in diapers, for example.  Of course it also isn't reversible like the full size Kolcraft. 

The Kolcraft is great, but it's getting worn and with a new one on the way, I'm thinking about replacing it if I can find something slightly better.  Other than a car seat, this would be the only big item new baby will get.

So here's what I'm looking for in my fantasy stroller:

--Full-size so that its heavy enough to be stable, but hopefully under 35 lbs. or so

--Reversible!

--Accommodate small babe up to 40ish lbs. (DD is 28 lbs. at 3 years old)

--BIG heavy duty basket underneath for storing stuff for baby and 3 year old on trips to theme parks, the zoo, etc

--27'' wide or less

--hopefully under $200

--no need to hold a bucket seat, as we won't have one

--available in black, if possible

Any thoughts are welcome! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 PM

I do love my stroller (Baby Jogger City Mini), but it doesn't meet your reversible-with-lots-of-storage criteria...

Most "flipable" strollers are pricey.  The one I know of that isn't too expensive that is reversible, has a large basket, etc. is the Graco Flip-it.  The First Year's Indigo is also inexpensive and reversible, but I don't know about the basket.  The pictures make it look decent, at least.

Good luck!  Finding the perfect stroller is tough!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM

I'm looking for the same sort of things..I really want it to be reversible, decent sized basket, and with a mommy cup holder, and stable enough to walk the big dog and push...red if possible. My big thing is I'm not all that tall 5'7 and most handles are too darn short...how do you taller mamas manage?

#4 of 19 Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 PM

We have an Uppababy Vista and it meets all your requirements, except price (and maybe the 27 inch one).  I love this stroller.  And, you can buy an attachment to make it a double.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#5 of 19 Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM

My Peg Perego Uno fits almost all of your requirements except price and large storage basket. The basket isn't terrible but I wouldn't call it large. But I LOVE the reversible handle and the fact that the seat reclines completely flat. In those early days when DD would sleep anywhere, I called it her portable bed!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#6 of 19 Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

I do love my stroller (Baby Jogger City Mini), but it doesn't meet your reversible-with-lots-of-storage criteria...

Most "flipable" strollers are pricey.  The one I know of that isn't too expensive that is reversible, has a large basket, etc. is the Graco Flip-it.  The First Year's Indigo is also inexpensive and reversible, but I don't know about the basket.  The pictures make it look decent, at least.

Good luck!  Finding the perfect stroller is tough!

^^Everything she said. I own a City Elite, which is bigger and pricier, but I love the brand,. and had a hard time choosing between the mini or the Elite. If you're willing to compromise on the reversible I would definitely look at a Baby Jogger. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 19 Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM

I love our Teutonia. Granted, it's heavy, but we have horrible winds here. 

#8 of 19 Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 AM

We have the venezia by perego (which looks just like the uno, so i'm guessing it was renamed?)

I think it fits your requirements except price. I got mine for $200, but it was end of season last year's color.

Maybe look on craigslist for a used one?

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#9 of 19 Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 AM

I bought a used Peg Perego from Ebay about 11 years ago and I just passed it on to another mother.  It was great!  Compact yet roomy, had a basket, reversable handles, bunting, etc.

I don't even know if they make it anymore but I'd head in that direction.  You may want to look at amazon.com reviews to see what people are saying before they buy.  Sometimes you can find a super deal there but like I said, mine was from Ebay.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#10 of 19 Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 PM

i have the baby jogger city select and it does everything you need, but it cost more. i love mine to the end of the earth!

i can't see you getting that wish list for that price.  now that it has been out for almost 2 years, i bet a few are going to start turning up used.  as a bonus you could get the second seat for it and lose it with both kids when needed and then turn it back to a single when you dont. and they have a stand and ride board for it now too.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 19 Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 PM

We have a bugaboo frog that we're really happy with.  They're quite pricey, but we lucked out and found one secondhand on craigslist.  It meets a lot of your requirements, but the storage basket is not very large.  It works for a couple of bags of groceries, but it's not the most easily accessible.  I love that it's reversible, and that it works well for little ones or bigger toddlers.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#12 of 19 Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the ideas ladies!  I always forget about ebay for larger items.  Off to google now....

#13 of 19 Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

This is the one I have too and love it, although it sounds like it doesn't meet your criteria.  But for me being light was paramount, being able to fold the stroller and put it in the trunk with one hand while holding baby in the other = priceless. LOL

#14 of 19 Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Love my Kolcraft Contours three-wheeler... it fits all those points.

Edited for link: http://www.kolcraft.com/brands/contours/strollers/contours-options-3-wheeler-stroller.html

Moo.

#15 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM

I have the City Mini Gt by Baby Jogger! Just came out last month and my gawd I love it! You can get a bassinet that clips right in, so baby faces you until 25 lbs, but I'm considering not getting it because the back lies flat. It weighs only 20 lbs and folds with one hand. Has a 65 lb weight limit! The shocks are amazing! Adjustable handle bar if your partner is taller. I could go on but gotta go. smile.gif

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#16 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM

I have a Britax B-Ready and really like it.  I don't know that it's less than 27" and it's definitely not under $200 but I was able to find mine on sale and got the matching bucket for free.  I think it was $400 IIRC.  But, if you aren't going to be using a bucket, then I guess that's not much of an incentive for you.  The basket is bigger than most and I find it holds everything I need it to.  It is VERY easy to steer and navigate, that was definitely the selling point for me as well as being reversible.

#17 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoegirl007 View Post

We have an Uppababy Vista and it meets all your requirements, except price (and maybe the 27 inch one).  I love this stroller.  And, you can buy an attachment to make it a double.

I agree totally with Uppababy Vista.....we bought this when she was about 2 months and could not stand her infant carrier. It comes with a bassinet as well, which she loved, and both it and the stroller have sun shades that pull down in the front. It is pricey but we decided that the money saved from cloth diapering would more than cover it......it is well worth the investment.

It is also made in the USA if that matters to you at all.

#18 of 19 Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 PM

I agree with pp... we LOVE our city mini. It isn't reversible though. The new gt version is AMAZING!!!! This is by far the best stroller on the market right now. Nothing is comparable! The britax b-ready is a lose second, but just feels cheap compared to it. I'd try to find one in store to try out if I were you :)

#19 of 19 Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM

I did end up getting the compact pram for my city mini gt and its awesome! Clips right in to the stroller, has carrying handles, and is really well padded. Glides effortlessly over the sand, which important living in San Diego!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page