February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh I can see myself doing staying up late to knit.  There's just no time during the day unless Nora is at school and Finn is napping.  I always regret staying up late to watch TV.  I've been doing that.  Watching absolute JUNK on TV until 1030 or 11 when I should just go to bed.

Haha about the fruits and veggies!  You're right, and I know all that.  Last night tho we were having burgers and fries, and I looked all over the kitchen for ANYTHING to give him.  I was going to steam some broccoli, but then had 2nd thoughts b/c he's been gassy and not sleeping well, and then I just decided to forget about it.  He was so MAD.  He kept fussing and lunging for food.  DH almost gave him a fry.  I was like, no!  I promise tmw I'll pick up more stuff for him.  

I just need to keep more options on hand.

This morning I gave him a piece of toast.  OMG he was in HEAVEN.  Ate the whole damn thing minus a few crumbs.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#302 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to say that I don't unsnap my OS dipes, either. I was doing that at first but it got to be a pain and I worried about stressing the fabric, too. I think they still get clean because that part isn't thick.

I haven't given Dylan anything like broccoli or beans because of the gas. He has a hard enough time with it as it is. what about regular rice?

oh, i also forgot to ask, why couldn't chris take care of nora last night so you could sleep? sounds like she wasn't ready to go to bed so early. or, could you have laid down in the room with her and rested while she played quietly?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#303 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM

I'm not sure what's in the burgers, but in theory he should be able to have them, just cut/tear it into teeny tiny pieces. What about pasta? spaghetti noodles cut up could be fun for him, and would probably take him so long to get into his mouth that it would be more of a fun experiment than really him ingesting a lot of it. Or bits of shredded daiya cheese. I dunno, I'm blanking right now!

Annie-- that's great your supply came back up again!

Katrina-- Was it a one time thing? I'd try not to worry, maybe it's just a side effect of the kids being sick, maybe your body caught a bit of it now? 

Tenley had such a bad acid night last night :( From about 10pm onwards she kept trying to go to sleep, and would go deadweight only to wake up with a blood curdling shriek five minutes later. I hate the look she gets on her face when that happens, like 'momma why aren't you making it go away?' Finally just after midnight I nursed her again and she managed to fall asleep and have a good night. 

I've tried not unstuffing the pockets and it doesn't work, I think because there's a little fold-over part to keep the insert in, and the diaper looking neat. I'm going to try a couple with the fold-over folded back though, and see if that works. It would be nice not to have to unstuff them. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#304 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Oh yes, and we don't unsnap the OS either. I wasn't sure if we should, but one of the girls at AMP mentioned that you don't have to, so I never started. One less thing to worry about. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#305 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Some of my pockets have that flap and the insert still comes out in the wash. Maybe it's something particular about the way the AMPs are made. shrug.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#306 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

JJ - the burgers are soy, I just don't feel right yet giving him anything so processed.  Nora reacted to soy when she was an infant so I think we're waiting with it until he's much older.  Daiya isn't soy, but isn't cheese either, it's just kind of processed crap.  You know what I mean?  I feel weird about it.

I'd cut the burger in half and let him hold the entire chunk so he could manage it.  Tiny pieces is still a little ways off.  For that reason I haven't offered cheerio type cereal yet, either.

I might try pasta soon.  Not sure.  I kind of want his pincer grasp to be a little better...but do you all think that's a big deal?  I'd do penne before spaghetti.  I picture him swallowing half the noodle and having half still hanging out.  He might gag.

Ugh.  Did you make a follow up appt with the dr yet?  I'd be knocking at their door demanding some reflux medicine.  I'm serious.  Poor Ten!! greensad.gif

Annie - sending sleep vibes to you!!  OMG.

MW - re chris helping...idk.  He tries but Nora still doesn't like him to put her to bed.  Remember I was saying that?  He can do jammies and teeth and read books, but she will not comply with getting in bed and letting him do songs and hugs and kisses.  She only wants me.  And b/c it's usually easy enough, that's what we've been doing.  

I was about to lay down with her but Finn woke up.  Rather than let Finn freak out and wake up fully, I just had to let Chris read books with Nora while I got him back down.  If he'd been away, Nora would have come out and sat with me and watched something low key like blues clues while I nursed Finn down.

That said, she only threw a fit b/c she didn't want Chris to help with jammies.  She wanted "MOMMY TO DO IT!" complete with stomping her foot and screaming.

She's so moody.  I thought kids were generally happy but Nora is just always in a foul mood.  

ETA - I think I'm going to pick up a pack of these for the baby.  They do contain soy, but it's not a soy based burger:

http://www.drpraegers.com/California-Veggie-Burgers-P127C51.aspx 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#307 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

MW - re chris helping...idk.  He tries but Nora still doesn't like him to put her to bed.  Remember I was saying that?  He can do jammies and teeth and read books, but she will not comply with getting in bed and letting him do songs and hugs and kisses.  She only wants me.  And b/c it's usually easy enough, that's what we've been doing.  

I was about to lay down with her but Finn woke up.  Rather than let Finn freak out and wake up fully, I just had to let Chris read books with Nora while I got him back down.  If he'd been away, Nora would have come out and sat with me and watched something low key like blues clues while I nursed Finn down.

That said, she only threw a fit b/c she didn't want Chris to help with jammies.  She wanted "MOMMY TO DO IT!" complete with stomping her foot and screaming.

She's so moody.  I thought kids were generally happy but Nora is just always in a foul mood.

Yeah, I remember that but since she was giving you a hard time, too, and you were so exhausted, what would have been the big difference if Chris had taken over? Let her have a fit about it while he just sits with her. And, yeah, I get that the screaming might wake up Finn, but is that any worse than what you were doing? Could the jammies have waited or not been used at all that time? Could Chris have hung out with her somewhere rather than trying to get her ready for and/or into bed? IDK I'm just trying to come up with some alternatives so you don't have to struggle so much. It wasn't very late, around 8:30, right? Maybe Chris could even have taken Nora out somewhere for a little bit.

3 year olds can be more difficult than 2 year olds.

That link didn't work.

#308 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Yeah, I remember that but since she was giving you a hard time, too, and you were so exhausted, what would have been the big difference if Chris had taken over? Let her have a fit about it while he just sits with her. And, yeah, I get that the screaming might wake up Finn, but is that any worse than what you were doing? Could the jammies have waited or not been used at all that time? Could Chris have hung out with her somewhere rather than trying to get her ready for and/or into bed? IDK I'm just trying to come up with some alternatives so you don't have to struggle so much. It wasn't very late, around 8:30, right? Maybe Chris could even have taken Nora out somewhere for a little bit.
3 year olds can be more difficult than 2 year olds.
That link didn't work.

I guess those are options, you're right.  It helps to get an outsider opinion to make me think outside the box.  It was about 830.  Normally she's in bed by 830 and asleep by 9.  She's been getting up at 7 so it's hard to let her go much longer.  She just spirals downward and gets harder to deal with as she gets more and more tired, you know?

Chris was falling asleep too.  He had a trip and a hard day at work.

She wasn't so much fighting me when I layed with her, she just bonked me in the head by accident.  Being silly.

Let me try that link again:  http://www.drpraegers.com/Veggie-Burgers-and-Pockets-C51.aspx  

Otherwise, it's just for Dr Praegers California burgers.

#309 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Also...if she's throwing a fit about not letting him put her jammies on and I just cave and do it, or say fine, you don't have to wear them isn't that letting her know that a fit will get her what she wants?  Thoughts?

#310 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know what you mean about getting more out of hand the more tired they get. Kellen was so funny last night. He would not settle down and be quiet in my bedroom no matter how many times I asked him to. So, I finally told him he had to go into his room, which he did after a little bit of protest. When I went to check on him a few minutes later, he was sitting in there, quiet and still, watching a movie and said he wanted to stay in there for a while. Why is that he can be still and quiet by himself but when he's with the rest of us he's bouncing off the walls?

Was the point to get Nora into bed and asleep by her regular time? I was thinking you were just doing that then because Finn was asleep and you thought it would be nice to have both kids asleep early. I'm not sure what to do if the fuss was because she was protesting the change in routine. I'm not good with that sort of thing.

Chris could have fallen asleep with her in the room. Sean does that all the time. He's turning into an old man that falls asleep anywhere if he sits long enough. I've gone upstairs several times when he was supposed to be up there playing with the boys to find him asleep on the floor while they are playing around him. I've even found him using their building blocks as a pillow. lol.gif

#311 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also...if she's throwing a fit about not letting him put her jammies on and I just cave and do it, or say fine, you don't have to wear them isn't that letting her know that a fit will get her what she wants?  Thoughts?

Or will it teach her that her thoughts and feelings will be respected? You can always stop and rethink any decision you've made. That doesn't mean you are caving in. I don't know that I would have done it myself at that point if I were that exhausted but I do think Chris could have foregone the jammies (they're overrated, anyway. we don't wear jammies to sleep in here.) and figured out some gentle way to work things out. i do think it's important to let them work through things on their own (as long as chris doesn't react in a way that makes the situation worse)

I had a similar situation with Ethan yesterday. I had told him I would take him to GameStop to buy a new video game. He had enough money saved up to buy one. As we were leaving for the park I asked him if he had his wallet. He said he couldn't find it. My first response was to tell him that he couldn't get the game if he didn't have his money. He needs to be responsible and keep track of his things. I'm not going to front him the money and then wait for him to pay me back. I said all of this to him. (I was already aggravated because we couldn't find Kellen's shoes, a daily occurrence.) Ethan got very sad and angry and wouldn't talk to me. As I thought about it more in the car, i realized i reacted that way because i was aggravated and angry about kellen losing his shoes again and i wasn't sure ethan had as much money as he thought. i wasn't being helpful to him at all. i was just being mean. so, i told him that, if he was sure he had the money, i would take him to get the game, but i expected him to do a better job of keeping track of his wallet in the future. by the time we got to the store he had decided he would always keep his wallet in the table by the door so he could grab it easily on the way out.

Ideally, it would be better to not force something to the point that the child is so upset in the first place. Usually, by the time a child is so upset that she is screaming and crying and stomping feet, it's because she is completely frustrated and feels like no one is listening or cares what she wants or thinks or feels. so, try to head it off before it goes there. give her as many choices as possible from the start. let her pick what she will sleep in, even if it's something you think is totally ridiculous, like a tutu and winter coat.

#312 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

JJ - the burgers are soy, I just don't feel right yet giving him anything so processed.  Nora reacted to soy when she was an infant so I think we're waiting with it until he's much older.  Daiya isn't soy, but isn't cheese either, it's just kind of processed crap.  You know what I mean?  I feel weird about it.

I'd cut the burger in half and let him hold the entire chunk so he could manage it.  Tiny pieces is still a little ways off.  For that reason I haven't offered cheerio type cereal yet, either.

I might try pasta soon.  Not sure.  I kind of want his pincer grasp to be a little better...but do you all think that's a big deal?  I'd do penne before spaghetti.  I picture him swallowing half the noodle and having half still hanging out.  He might gag.

Ugh.  Did you make a follow up appt with the dr yet?  I'd be knocking at their door demanding some reflux medicine.  I'm serious.  Poor Ten!! greensad.gif

nak

makes sense if theres a lot of 'extras' in the burgers (and the daiya) to hold off. 

pasta i had in mind more like 1cm long pieces, but you're right, maybe if his pincer grasp isnt quite there, then wait until hes a little more solid with it. 

omg, i was going to ask about eggs. dur. brain lapse. for the record though, is it yolks or whites they say to hold off on? i can never remember. 

---

Her appt is next thurs... counting down. it seemed like she was getting a bit better, but the last three days its like we're back at square one and shes spewing so so much. *sigh*. she didi have her necklace off for 2 days so thats back on now.

Quote:

theyve talked a lot in my attachment group lately about natural consequences, and while some of it just sounds too lax, I think this might be one of those good cases, where if she said no, I don't want to put them on, then just say ok, and let her go without- natural consequences that she'll probably be cold, and maybe a bit uncomfortable. BUT-- I'm of the opinion that if you've said no, you have to wear them, and then she throws a massive fit, then yes, backing down at that point will teach her that she needs to throw a fit again to get what she wants. it's basic behavior modification, because then she's had positive reinforcement to throw a fit again. But I know that's not a popular sentient amoung most attachment families, and some would say i'm just entering into a battle of wills and not allowing my child to express herself, and being pig headed, etc etc. *shrugs* It's all about what works for you, you know? 

had semi-success with the convertible carseat yesterday! Did I write about our trip dilemna? I can't remember. 

#313 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Carrie: this is a curry recipe I like http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-with-banana-curry-sauce but i cook it in a sauce pan to keep it saucy. Also I sometime will use coconut milk instead of water. I like the extra flavor.

You could make the sauce and toss the chicken nuggets in. I bet it would also be good with tofu, if you are tofu eating person. (I am not! LOL)

Jammies: sometimes it's a fight with Gabe. It helps a lot if there is something fun on the jammies, like monkeys, etc. "do you want to put on monkeys???"

Also try offering a choice of two pajamas, that way she still has a measure of control, but she is wearing them. Gabe sleeps in his clothes often, because sometimes he just crashes in them, and I am not waking him up to change clothes.

MW: glad Kellen enjoyed some quiet alone time.

I can't remember if it's egg whites or yolks. . . .I think Gabe was a year before we offered them. Granted he had baked goods with eggs in them before that.

Both kids are feeling better, though cough occasionally.

RE: possibly AF: I am feel a bit crampy here and there, but sometimes it is really hard to tell apart AF cramps and GI sort of cramps. Other than that, not really. I've stepped up my fluid intake and that seems to help. I do need to pump to build the freezer stash back up. It's scares me when it's as low as it is (I have enough for one work day plus one spare 4 oz bag).  I am so tired. but oh well.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#314 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

It's egg whites that you are supposed to wait until after a year to give to baby. Hard-cooked egg yolks are fine. I have given Dylan some egg yolk a few times. He didn't like that, either.

Here's what I got from my mom so far about Williamsburg. There are several options for units, 3 bedroom units with 1 king, 1 queen and one room with 2 double beds, 2 bedroom units with 1 king and either 1 queen or 2 double beds, and 1 bedroom unit with a king that has an adjoining door to a 2 bedroom unit. I'm not sure if the king with adjoining unit one has separate kitchens. I'm thinking that, unless Annie brings all the kids, we'd only need 4 bedrooms total.

My mom asked if you all would be willing to pay $50 per night, per family for weekdays and $100 per night, per family for weekends. There is a minimum 3 day stay. Weekly stays usually go Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. Shorter stays can go over any group of days as long as they are available. So, we could save money by doing something like 4 or 5 days Monday-Friday.

I would prefer early fall so it won't be too hot. But, I haven't checked the schedules for any of the amusement parks so I don't know if they'd still be open then, in case that's really important to anyone. I've talked to Sean and he said he would like to go. So, I'm wondering how everyone feels about husbands coming. Would anyone's husband definitely not come and would that be awkward for anyone?

I don't think there is an admission fee to walk around Williamsburg and go in the shops but I do think that some of the activities have fees. Obviously, the amusement parks have admission fees. Not sure about Jamestown.

#315 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Unsnapping OS dipes...I guess my thinking there was that staying snapped and getting washed would stress the creases. I guess I don't need to worry about it if you guys don't ever unsnap them and it's not ruining your dipes. 

I never got a nap today! AGHHHH! DD would not sleep in the bedroom where we are staying this weekend, she would only sleep in her carseat while I was driving around. So I'm pretty beat! I'm hopeful that she will be merciful on me tonight but she's eating a lot right now, must be going through a growth spurt. 

So I know you guys saw on FB but I let her taste my rice and beans from WF. Man, that's what she's been wanting! She let me put a little bit in her mouth and she went "mmmmmmmm" and grabbed the spoon and shoved the rest in her mouth. Hahahaha! Then when I put more on the spoon, she tried to put it in her mouth and grab some in her fist at the same time. She was such a mess! I need to get a bib for her. She definitely let me know when she was done though. She started pushing the spoon away when I would offer. But now that she's getting better about tasting stuff, she expects me to share my food every time I'm eating something in front of her. And not all of my food is baby-friendly! I think I'm going to have to start only eating when I have something to share with her. 

Baby_Cakes, I know a lot of families that have given their kids the Dr. Praeger's stuff. They have a bunch of different things in the freezer section at WF. 

MW, I would totally be ok paying whatever needed to be paid to stay there. If that timeshare is like the ones that I have stayed in before that my MIL had, then the one that has a king bedroom attachment, it has a little kitchenette thing, like if you were in a regular hotel room w/a tiny stove, fridge and microwave. If we do early fall, definitely don't plan on my older guys being there. They are only home on the weekends during the school year. My DH would probably come for part of the time but he probably wouldn't stay the whole time. i don't care if other DHs are there. Doesn't bother me a bit. 

I am so glad that my milk production has picked back up. I totally attribute it to the alfalfa and pumping every 1-2 hours while at work. I'm still not getting as much as I did when she was tiny, I would get 7-9 oz per session, but I'm getting about 3 oz every two hours and that's enough to stay in front of what she drinks. 

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#316 of 407 Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

MW, I would totally be ok paying whatever needed to be paid to stay there. If that timeshare is like the ones that I have stayed in before that my MIL had, then the one that has a king bedroom attachment, it has a little kitchenette thing, like if you were in a regular hotel room w/a tiny stove, fridge and microwave. If we do early fall, definitely don't plan on my older guys being there. They are only home on the weekends during the school year. My DH would probably come for part of the time but he probably wouldn't stay the whole time. i don't care if other DHs are there. Doesn't bother me a bit.

we can try to make it during the summer break if you want to bring the other kids. summer would probably be better for us because we also want to go to the NC mountains in the fall. the only issue with that would be availability. i think i forgot to mention that my mom said they fill up fast during school breaks but are pretty much open when school is in. If we want something during the summer, we'll have to decide on dates pretty quickly. I was also going to suggest that not everyone has to come the whole time. Coming for the weekend(s) works for people (husbands) that maybe can't get off work. Or coming for a few days in the week for anyone who may not want to pay for the whole week would probably work, too.

I was thinking of the 1 kind bedroom with adjoining 2 bedroom unit in case Carrie didn't want to share a kitchen with meat eaters. winky.gif I know, Carrie, you've said that eating meat grosses you out and I want everyone to be comfortable. The other option is that the meat eaters can share one of the kitchens in one unit and Carrie and her family can use the kitchen in the other. If it's not an issue for anyone, than it doesn't matter. smile.gif

Oh, also they all come with sleep sofas, as far as I know. So, we'd have the option of taking the mattress off of that and putting it in a room (maybe if there's room) or whatever if there's not room for everyone to share the beds.

That's great about the milk production but bummer about no nap. I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

I forgot to say how funny my dh is. I asked him about scheduling this trip. He has some ridiculous 120 days of leave accrued but I wasn't sure if he could get time off. He said since he'll be the officer in charge he can probably give himself time off whenever he wants. He needs to use his leave, anyway, because he lose more than half of it next year if he doesn't and he's still accruing leave as he's using it.

#317 of 407 Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM

How thoughtful about the kitchen!

I think Dh and I would both appreciate the option of cooking in a meat free kitchen.  Thank you! 

Oh, Chris said he wants to come.  Should be fun!!

Williamsburg in summer heat is kind of a bummer.  Plus Finn's bday is in August and I'm not sure what we're doing for his bday yet, so Sept would be awesome for us.  We'll pay whatever, either weekday or weekend is fine price wise.

Last night sucked.  I thought we were going to do better but I was wrong.  He's up HOURLY to nurse.  It's insane!  Then this morning, I nursed him for his nap and when I popped him off he started screaming crying!  That's never happened!!  He skipped his nap.  Completely. I'm going to try again at 1 but I'm not very hopeful!  Idk what this is but I don't like it one bit!!

Oh - and I'm sure you all saw on FB.  Chris ordered my stroller!  It's $370 on amazon, and he cashed in work rewards for amazon giftcards, so we actually didn't pay for any of it!!  It'll be here wednesday!!  I'm SO EXCITED!  Hopefully I have some energy to use it soon!  

#318 of 407 Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

wow! what a great deal on the stroller!

i hope you got a nap today.

i think the 1 king with adjoining 2 bdrm unit has one of those mini kitchens. maybe no oven? my mom gave me her info so i can check all the resorts and rooms myself but the login info didn't work. so, i'm waiting for her to resend it.

#319 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 AM

No oven or no range?

Thinking about past vacations, as long as there is a microwave and a fridge, it's perfectly fine.  As long as I can make coffee and warm up oatmeal, and heat up leftovers or take out we'll be set.

This is really exciting.  I want to meet you guys and I really hope this all works out!

I didn't get a nap yesterday but we didn't do much, it was a low key day.  We had such a fun night, too.  We watched Jurassic Park (which some scenes were a bit too scary for Nora, but we just told her it was pretend) and then started The Lost World.  Chris and I had some whiskey in our drinks and the kids were in good moods.  We had dinner, played, laughed.  It was a good family night.  Those are happening so much more often, it's wonderful!

I watched a video on my little BILs facebook of Nora when she was a baby.  I had forgotten her voice and her little baby words.  Makes me glad I take so many pictures and videos of Finn.  I don't want to forget his noises (and I know I will, so at least I have them recorded)!

We slept well last night!  Finn only woke 3 times to nurse!  At 1130, 230, and 430.  The next wake up was around 6, and then we got up for the day a little after 7. Ahhh, I can live with that!  So much better than hourly fussing, and only sleeping with boob in his mouth!  I was able to pop him off and he would go to sleep last night, no tears.

I have to keep in mind, I took off his hazelwood and put on his amber this week.  Maybe things are just sorting themselves out.  It was the 4th night with the amber on.  

You guys leave your kids amber on for sleep right?  Everything says to remove it, but why would I do that?  That's a long stretch for him not to be wearing it.  It won't hurt him, he doesn't even know it's there.

#320 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

My mom said she thinks it's like what Annie described, a 2 burner stove, microwave and maybe a dishwasher (can't remember about that), so just no convection oven. There's always a coffee pot. winky.gif You won't necessarily be in that room, either. We'll have to figure out the best sleeping arrangements for everyone once we have the rooms locked in.

So, how about if everyone gives me their preferred bed arrangement, 1 king, 1 queen or 2 double beds? There is usually 1 sleep sofa in each unit (not sure about the single king) so the mattresses on those can be used in a bedroom for an older child who doesn't still sleep with mom and dad in bed.

The easiest way to get a reservation is for us to pick a month and the number of days and let my mom reserve whatever she can get. will that work for those who work? can you go to work and say yo need this specific week off?

if that's ok with everyone, also tell me how many days, 3-7. the sooner i get dates and days to my mom the better our chances of getting the reservation we want.

glad you had a good day and better night. here, not so much. dylan is back to squirming all night long and keeping me up. he's also really fussy during the day. i used to at least be able to count on an hour or two in the morning when he'd be happy to play but not recently. he's not happy no matter what. he's not sick anymore so i don't know what it is, maybe gas or reflux or teething. i was worried about another ear infection from this last cold but i don't think he has one. no fever and he's not pulling at his ears.

i woke up this morning reminded of what an easy baby kellen was. once i had a stomach virus when he was about the same age as dylan is now, 7-8 months. i know because it was winter and he was crawling but not walking. all i could do was lay on the floor with a bucket next to my head. i think ethan ate saltines for half of the day because i couldn't get up to get him anything. he was only 3. kellen didn't really fuss or anything that day. he'd just crawl over to me laying on the floor when he wanted to nurse, latch on and eat and then wander off or go to sleep when he was done. in comparison, dylan seems to fuss all the time no matter what i'm doing. he fusses when i set him on the floor, he fusses when i hold him, he doesn't want to nurse, he fusses when i put him in his high chair. i don't know what to do with him and it's making me angry.

amber, i leave it on all the time. you are supposed to take it off for baths. i think i read it's not good for it to get wet. i don't even do that, though. maybe that's why mine doesn't seem to work all that well. i was very impressed with the hazelwood but not so much with the amber. but, then, i also keep both necklaces on him all the time. maybe the hazelwood somehow interferes with the amber. i'm afraid to take the hazelwood off, though, because that seems to have really helped him.

#321 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:

The easiest way to get a reservation is for us to pick a month and the number of days and let my mom reserve whatever she can get. will that work for those who work? can you go to work and say yo need this specific week off?
if that's ok with everyone, also tell me how many days, 3-7. the sooner i get dates and days to my mom the better our chances of getting the reservation we want.

I pick September and 4 days.  Weekday or weekend doesn't matter to us!  Chris can figure out work around what you get, and it's far enough away it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and we'd like 2 double beds as first choice, but 1 king would probably work just as well.  

Did I mention DH is going away the last 2 weeks of March?  I forget where, I think Raleigh.  But he'll be gone for my bday!  For the first time in 13 years he won't be around on my birthday.  

#322 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Carrie. Noted.

We'll probably need a king. I doubt Ethan will agree to sleep anywhere other than our bed unless there are other big kids to share a room with. Sean would probably agree to sleeping on the floor.

Since Annie will have 3, I'm going to assume a queen would work best. Since Kat will have 4, a king or 2 doubles would probably work best. Unless, of course, people bring co-sleepers or cribs or a cot, in which case things might be better switched.

Based on all of that, right now I'm thinking 1 single king with adjoining 2 doubles and one either 2 or 3 bedroom unit depending on whether or not Annie's older kids can come. We don't need to set all of that stuff in stone ahead of time. I just want to make sure I get the best arrangement of units/beds.

Bummer about your birthday. You'll have to celebrate before he leaves. We do that a lot here, celebrate special days early or late because Sean is gone so much. He has missed most of Ethan's birthdays, which really stinks. He actually will be home for my birthday this year, which is rare, and maybe even for our anniversary. That would be a miracle.

I think I've figured out what's going on with Dylan now. I think he's getting both top 2nd teeth. Both sides are bulging and I can see white just under the gum. I can't feel any sharp edges yet. I took off the hazelwood necklace but left the amber on to see if that makes a difference.

I keep meaning to say, going back to the question about whether I pick Dylan up at night, I do if he's really squirmy because that's usually a sign that he has a lot of gas. I will pick him up and put him on my shoulder to burp. He usually lets out a series of little burps and then goes to sleep. He doesn't always stay asleep, though. When he's having gas problems, I have to do that several times a night.

#323 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Here's how my mom described the rooms:
Quote:
The 3 BR condos have 1 king, 1 queen and 1 room with 2 doubles. If you want 2 kings there are unis with a connecting door between a 1 BR (king) and a 2 BR( 1 king and prob. 2 doubles in one room). there's also a 4 BR "presidential suite" available I've forgotten what the beds are

I was confused about the units with connecting doors. With that, we'd get 2 kings and either 1 queen or 2 dbls. I really wish I could get on the site myself and look at all of this stuff. She still hasn't sent me corrected login info. She doesn't check her email regularly and she goes away on the weekends a lot (timeshares smile.gif).

#324 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Here's how my mom described the rooms:
Quote:
The 3 BR condos have 1 king, 1 queen and 1 room with 2 doubles. If you want 2 kings there are unis with a connecting door between a 1 BR (king) and a 2 BR( 1 king and prob. 2 doubles in one room). there's also a 4 BR "presidential suite" available I've forgotten what the beds are
I was confused about the units with connecting doors. With that, we'd get 2 kings and either 1 queen or 2 dbls. I really wish I could get on the site myself and look at all of this stuff. She still hasn't sent me corrected login info. She doesn't check her email regularly and she goes away on the weekends a lot (timeshares :)).

You could get a king, Kat could get a king, and then maybe Annie and I could take the 2 doubles?  I'm fine with 2 doubles like I said.  Not sure who'd come with annie. 

Keep us posted after you get to look at the site for yourself!!

I just posted in my ddc, what do gums that are about to erupt with teeth look like?  Finns upper gums are now kind of...white.  You can see the individual teeth under the gum.  Nothing red and angry looking.  But he is soooo fussy lately.  

#325 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Dylan's gums never looked red or angry. They just looked swollen but I think that was from the bulging teeth, not from the gums swelling from being aggravated. Does that make sense?

If we do 4 days over a weekend, then maybe Annie's older kids can come for at least part of the time. Of course, like I said before, some of use could get a week and not everyone has to come for the while time. Sean and I might go for a week regardless of what the rest of you want to do.

And, of course, I've only named Carrie, Annie and Kat because they responded. Others are welcome. Just let me know.

#326 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:

i used to at least be able to count on an hour or two in the morning when he'd be happy to play but not recently. he's not happy no matter what. he's not sick anymore so i don't know what it is, maybe gas or reflux or teething. 
dylan seems to fuss all the time no matter what i'm doing. he fusses when i set him on the floor, he fusses when i hold him, he doesn't want to nurse, he fusses when i put him in his high chair. i don't know what to do with him and it's making me angry.

It makes it hard to keep up with all the lovely AP things when you're like "but he/she just screams anyways!"  DH keeps telling me he doesn't see the point of us holding her so she can claw at us and shriek in our ears, when she could do the same thing in her bed. I keep saying that at least she's not alone, but you seriously start wondering if she even notices that there's a person holding her. 

Stay strong mama, It's got to pass eventually... right? lol

#327 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Quote:

It makes it hard to keep up with all the lovely AP things when you're like "but he/she just screams anyways!"  DH keeps telling me he doesn't see the point of us holding her so she can claw at us and shriek in our ears, when she could do the same thing in her bed. I keep saying that at least she's not alone, but you seriously start wondering if she even notices that there's a person holding her. 

Stay strong mama, It's got to pass eventually... right? lol

I definitely don't think it's a good idea to just leave baby alone. Obviously, he's distressed over something and I think it would be horrible to abandon him then. I'm sure it would be very helpful if Sean were here to take him off my hands sometimes, especially when he's just fussy and doesn't want to nurse. Sean could take him for a walk or just carry him around the way my dad did. I don't know how my dad had the patience for that. I cannot walk around my house in circles, which of course is the only time that Dylan doesn't fuss, when I stand or walk with him.

#328 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Sept or Oct would be fine for me. I wouldn't be able to stay for 7 days but 4 days would be great, especially if it included the weekend because then I wouldn't have to take as many days off from work. If it worked out that my older kids were home that weekend, I would probably just have DH drive them down for the day. We've done Williamsburg as a day trip before so that's no problem. So a room w/a queen or two doubles would be fine for me.

Water Country USA isn't open after Labor Day but Busch Gardens is open on the weekends in September and October. If the resort has a pool, it's usually warm enough in September and October for swimming still. Prices for Jamestown are $15.50/adult, $7.25/kids 6-12 and kids under 6 are free. Colonial Williamsburg is expensive in my opinion. $40/adult, $21/kids 6-12, kids under 6 are free. You can walk around Colonial Williamsburg for free but for most of the exhibits and buildings, you have to have that ticket. There's a ferry you can drive a car on and ride across the James River to Surry, which is where Pocohontas lived. I used to live in Surry when I was a child. The ferry is fun if the weather is nice and the kids can feed the seagulls.

Also, Richmond is about an hour away by car and if you guys have a membership to a children's museum that participates in the reciprical program, then the Children's Museum of Richmond is a lot of fun as well as the Science Museum of Virginia. They are right next door to each other so it's great for all ages.

Ooooh this is going to be so much fun!

Fussy babies...yep I have one of those right now. Especially when she hasn't slept. She would only nap in the car this weekend and not in the house where I was staying so I had a super tired baby on my hands last night when I was waiting for the parents to get back. She wouldn't tolerate me sitting or standing still so for the last 1 1/2 hours, I had to walk around the house with her. Boy was I sore and tired when it was time to leave! She slept pretty well though so hopefully we'll have a good week but we are going to be away from our house again this upcoming weekend so I need to prepare for not good sleep again!

DD is really getting the hang of the eating thing. I gave her some shredded chicken breast last night and she really liked it. She did the "mmmmmm" sound again. Roasted apple puree this AM? Ummmm, not so much. She tasted it but wasn't a fan. I don't think she likes sweet stuff. She has been very enthusiastic about savory stuff though. She's not eating enough though to make a meal but I'm glad she gets to taste different stuff. For those of you that do solids instead of purees, do you notice that the food comes out the other end in pretty much the same shape as it went in? DD tasted broccoli on Friday and yesterday, I found pieces of broccoli in her diaper. shy.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#329 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
 For those of you that do solids instead of purees, do you notice that the food comes out the other end in pretty much the same shape as it went in? DD tasted broccoli on Friday and yesterday, I found pieces of broccoli in her diaper. shy.gif

Yup - totally.

That's great that she's digging savory stuff!  And that she's eating it!  Hooray!

I think I see some teeth just barely under the surface in Finn's mouth.  I hope it's teeth.  Otherwise, I just don't know what I'm going to do with this baby!  He's so crabby, won't sleep.

Ok - day 5 on amber instead of hazelwood.  His mood is much better, he's happy and playing.  BUT he is PUKING and his puke smells so acidic.  I commented to DH about it and he was like, wow.  Maybe switch back.  But I'm like, his mood though!?  Do I want a fussy baby or a pukey one?  He had 3 massive pukes today.  That's more than usual.  And the smell is awful!!

It was chilly out but I took the kids for a stroller walk today.  We had a nice walk.  DD pushed her baby stroller too, and we got a few nice comments from neighbors.  It truly felt like old times.  I hope we have more of these good times rather than power struggles as we navigate her late toddlerhood/early childhood.

#330 of 407 Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, totally normal to see food come out the other end whole, especially vegetables that are harder to digest.

Now that you mention it, Annie, I remember going to the ticket office at Williamsburg with my mom. I didn't pay much attention to what the tickets were for or how much they cost because I'm not really into going to the presentations. I wonder if you have to have tickets to attend the outdoor speeches. I can't remember. I know we can get discounts at the timeshare place and I can get discounted tickets from the military base. I can look into that closer to when we go to see if one way is cheaper than the other. The only thing I really want to do is go to Jamestown. I always mean to go when we are there but I don't think we ever got around to it. Not everyone has to go, though. We can do separate things sometimes if we want.

Dylan has had a better day after his first nap. Maybe he just needed more sleep this morning. I caught a poop in the sink today. I wasn't planning to. I haven't been doing anything with EC in a long time. But I had just changed a poopy diaper and put on a thicker one in anticipation of a nap when he started making noises like he was pooping again. So, I rushed him into the bathroom and stripped off his clothes. He looked at me like, "What in the world are you doing?" lol.gif His poo was very mucousy.

Carrie ~ I think the hazelwood is supposed to help some with teething, too. That's why I got a hazelwood necklace with amber beads and had been keeping both that and the all amber necklace on Dylan. I guess deciding which necklace to use depends on which issue is more of a health problem. I'd probably be more worried about the physical damage that GERD could do than the fussiness but I know how hard it is to deal with the fussiness. That's a hard one.

Annie ~ Was there anything on the chicken you gave Ava? I have thought about giving Dylan some meat since he doesn't seem to like the bananas or squash but I almost always season meat or cook it in a sauce.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page