February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a Disney or amusement park fan but that's cool if you get to celebrate your anniversary at the same place during the same time as your honeymoon. I gotta say, though, it's kind of funny that you love DisneyWorld but are a little bothered about Nora getting excited about the princesses. Disney is almost exclusively all about princesses when it comes to the little kids. If you love Disney, she's going to love that part of Disney that appeals to her. winky.gif

Is DisneyWorld the one in Florida? We went there with my mom when Ryan was 10. I liked the water park the best and I don't even like water. lol.gif Oh yeah. I just remember that was for our 1st anniversary. lol.gif

Annie ~ Kids certainly can be cruel. That is for sure. It's really sad that kids were mean to your brother.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Have you guys seen the news story about a Kennedy who's been charged with child endangerment for trying to take his newborn son for a walk outside? He supposedly assaulted a couple of nurses who tried to stop him. That's what the nurses say. He says he was defending himself and his son from nurses who were trying to take the baby from him or trying to stop him to take his own baby. There always a possibility there is more to the story but, if there isn't, those nurses didn't have any right to stop that father from taking his baby anywhere. If the parents want to leave the hospital with their healthy baby, they can whenever they want. Those nurses do not have more power or control or whatever you want to call it over that baby than his parents. It's outrageous!

Yeah, DH got yelled at when we were in the hospital because I was trying to sleep, so he took Tenley for a walk down the hall. They freaked out at him that he was -not- allowed to be carrying her in the hallways unless she was in a bassinet. Apparently he could drop her, or a doctor could come around the corner and knock into both of them. 

The ridiculousness of it was just... 

I mean really, you're going to send the child home with us, but you don't trust us to hold her upright in a hallway? It reminds me of the pamphlet I have from when my mother was born when they were still telling mothers they could only hold their babies if they were in bed with the rails up. 

Carrie-- That makes sense then, especially if there's a history. I like the idea of universal studios and that part of it too. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got the correct login info for the timeshares. We have lots of options. I think the rooms with 2 beds are actual queens rather than doubles, if I understand everything correctly.

There's a 4 bedroom deluxe presidential suite that has 3 bedrooms with a king each and 1 bedroom with 2 queens. I think that one would be perfect because we could all be in the same place except that there's only one kitchen.

Carrie, if you really want your own kitchen, I'll exclude that one. But, if it's not that important to you, I'll include it. It's totally up to you since we have lots of options and the other rooms may still be connected or at least next to each other.

There is also an option for a 4 bedroom lock off. I'm not sure if that's two 2 bedroom units, which means 2 full kitchens, or if it's a 3 bedroom and a 1 bedroom, which would be 1 full kitchen and 1 mini kitchen. Either way, I think we'd get 2-3 rooms with a king and 1-2 rooms with 2 queens each.

The other option that I think would work for us is a 1 bedroom suite with a connected 1 bedroom deluxe (each with a king bed and it's own kitchen) and a 2 bedroom deluxe that has a king and 2 queens. I think they all also have queen sleep sofas.

Right now, anything in September is open, even 4 nights over a weekend starting Friday. I only checked the 7th specifically so different combos of rooms might be available on different weekends. I'm glad it's 4 nights rather than 4 days. That will give us 3 full days to be there.

I'm probably overloading you all with too much info to keep track of. I just want to make sure I've got everyone covered before I commit. I could get this thing scheduled this week. My mom is coming to visit tomorrow so I can have her make the reservations while she's here.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Yeah, DH got yelled at when we were in the hospital because I was trying to sleep, so he took Tenley for a walk down the hall. They freaked out at him that he was -not- allowed to be carrying her in the hallways unless she was in a bassinet. Apparently he could drop her, or a doctor could come around the corner and knock into both of them. 

The ridiculousness of it was just... 

one of the comments on the blog post i read about it was from someone who said she was yelled at by the nurses for carrying her baby just around her room. same as you, she was told only in the bassinet. talk about being totally contrary to what baby needs. another reason why hospitals are not always the best places to have babies, if they are going to be more concerned with policies and lawsuits than what's best for the emotional bonding of baby and parents.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Yeah, it's so hard. I mean I get that they're worried about liability-- and they have to be. But it's sad that liability has to be first on their minds, and not trusting mamas and babies. 

I slept through it, but apparently DH also got a 'talking to' about me cosleeping in bed with Tenley in the hospital, because the nurse came in to check on us, and I was laying on my back, with my legs spread apart, and I had T inbetween them, with basically like her head resting on my pelvis. It was probably the safest position she could have been in, seeing as I basically couldn't move my legs at that point from so much pain, and one of the only ways she wouldn't shriek. Rob apparently had to forbid the nurse to wake me up, because she wanted to, and he was like "NO! They both just finally fell asleep! No one is waking them up for anything." Tenley screamed almost our whole hospital stay, so the idea of ruining some peace and quiet was more than he could handle. 

Totally OT, and probably TMI, but has anyone here had problems with severe vaginal dryness postpartum? It's getting worse, and to the point where I'm actually in a decent amount of pain because everything is so dry down below, and I'm actually off and on getting little spots of blood when I wipe after going to the bathroom, where the skin is so dry is breaking. It's not even internal, it's external, and on visual check it is SO red and irritated. Forget dtd, I'd just like to walk around on a daily basis without being in pain. The research I've done basically says that the only thing they can do for it medically is estrogen cream-- which is known to mess with your supply, so... not an option. I've started hand expressing a bit of milk and trying to put that on it, but really I would think that's a short term solution. I've tried lubes and vitamin e and jojoba oil, avoiding soap, rinsing really well, upping my H20 intake... nothing seems to touch it. 

And drastic change of topic... lol. From what I understand-- a lock-off, basically means that you'll have one "apartment" which is full, and then one "add on" which has just bedroom(s) and usually a bathroom. Generally the main portion can be rented on it's own, and then you can add in the extra part if you'd like, but that part can't be rented on it's own because it's not a full unit. I think they do it to have the biggest range of options for renting, because otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't just put a kitchen in the other unit and be done with it. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The dryness could be caused by breastfeeding, too. Hormonal changes can cause it. I don't know that there's much you can do except dab instead of wipe to not irritate more. And wait...

All the units have kitchens. The units with just 1 king bedroom have a mini instead of full kitchen, which just means it doesn't have an oven. The picture showed a 4 burner stove, sink and fridge. What I'm not clear on is if it's two multibedroom units, each with a full kitchen, or one 1 king bed unit with a mini kitchen and 1 unit with multiple bedrooms and a full kitchen. So, a lock off and then another unit would work best for Carrie to have her own kiychen. The other option, if we just get two units and no lock off, is that s meat eaters could share the kitchen in one unit and Carrie could use the kitchen in the other unit. The only thing that might be a hassle with that is that one family would have to go the the unit they are not staying in to prepare and eat food. If the rooms are right next to each other and the other families don't mind being barged in on, it might not be that much of a hassle.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM

JJ - OMG -- that's what's going on with me down below, part of why I went to the gyno.  She prescribed a cream (NOT estrogen) to help keep it from overdrying and itching.  She said it's not yeast, it's not an allergy, but she couldn't tell me exactly what it was.  It itches like mad.  I don't have much vaginal dryness, but externally it's so DRY it's itchy, and I keep scratching.  Anyway I haven't picked up the cream yet (will this afternoon) and I'll let you know what it is.

The only OTC thing that helped me was Benadryl cream.  I tried Monistat and obv it didn't work.  I tried hydrocortisone, but eh...didn't help as much as the benadryl.

I can't believe someone else is going thru the same thing!!

She said it could be soap or product related, but I haven't changed anything (my stuff is natural-ish...) and never had issues before.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM

For us: the sooner we can get it scheduled, the better for me, because the sooner I can get it on the work PTO calendar the better.

I would love for all of us to share the space, but it would mean sharing a kitchen.

I haven't ever had any issues with dryness, not even breastfeeding; if anything I produce excess quantities down there. (so obv, I have no advice)

I co slept with Norah in the hospital; the nurses weren't thrilled with it. she slept in the crook of my arm, as she wanted to be on the boob the whole time. Crazy thing is, we had a nurse come in and be like, (I quote) "well, if you want to be a human pacifier . . ." and I said, well, she won't take artificial one, so this will do for now.

We did get a sheet warning against swaddling at discharge. they said things like swaddleme were ok; but not swaddling with a blanket.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Sharing a kitchen is not a deal breaker!  We can share!  Don't let that be what makes booking things difficult!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

We had a nurse get upset when we were in the hospital with Ethan. She came in the room, saw me in the bed and Sean standing there and no baby. She said, "Where's the baby!" We pointed to Ryan lying on the father's couch thingies with him in the crook of his arm. Ryan was only 12. He was awake, I think. The nurse just said, "Oh!" with a surprised look like she wasn't quite sure what to say. We could tell she didn't approve.

Carrie ~ It's not difficult, I don't think, as long as I can keep the units straight. It's a bit confusing online but I'm sure my mom could call to make sure we get what we want, if needed. I think a 4 bedroom that we could all share would be fun but, so far, I haven't seen that one come up on my internet searches. I also wonder if there's a way to get a 3 bedroom with an adjoining 1 bedroom unit. That would be second best, maybe. I'll get more deets when my mom is here.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ryan was making me chuckle. He said he's very close to becoming head driver, which means he would have to assign closing jobs to his coworkers. He was complaining about what a terrible job of cleaning they do, especially on the nights he closes because he has go back and do their work all over again. Why isn't he that conscientious at home? lol.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM

MW: LOL - I don't know. I can tell you DH's desk was more organized when he worked corporately than at home. Mine is about the same. I know I probably am more clean-y at other people's houses than my own.Weird, huh?

Not really related: but how can anyone watch hoarders? It makes me want to take a shower right after.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM

I have a different opinion of hospital rules. They can be irritating but they are there for a reason, especially the ones about not taking a newborn off the postpartum unit before discharge. You never know what family dynamics are, if there are issues between mom and dad and baby might be caught in the middle. Or just some random weirdo wandering in and taking a baby. If the rule is in place that you don't walk in the halls w/baby in your arms, then the nurses don't have to stop every single person walking in the halls w/a baby in their arms and question whether or not the baby belongs to them. I, for one am always thankful for the "baby lo-jacks" as we call them when DD has to be in the hospital. If she gets too far away from her room, or it gets removed from her leg or she gets to close to the elevator, an alarm sounds and the elevators lock. During DD's first hospital stay, I woke up one night and DD wasn't in her crib. The door to our room was open. I FREAKED out and ran out to the nurse's station. One of the CNAs had taken DD out to the nurses station to hold her out there but she hadn't woken me up to tell me that. I was so pissed. But then I remembered her tag. She wouldn't have been able to take her far. I guess after all the time I've spent in hospitals the past 6 months, I don't get too bothered when a nurse tries to give me their opinion. DH used to get so upset because he was always breaking the NICU "rules" and the receptionist would get mad at him. I would just laugh if she wasn't happy about something that I wanted to do. No need to waste energy on that.

So excited about the vacation shaping up! I was going to say that I have no problem keeping the kitchen meat-free if needed but I do rely on cheese a lot...and coffee creamer! 

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

There is a difference between healthy babies in the maternity ward (or whatever it's called now) and babies in the NICU, though.

I do understand that nurses have to worry about baby stealers and such, but babies and parents are now given wrist bands so it's not too hard to check that before leaving. I don't think any reasonable parent would object to having their wrist band checked before heading out the door with baby. As little time that nurses actually spend with families of healthy babies, ime, they wouldn't learn much about family dynamics. Anyway, I wouldn't want a nurse getting in the middle of my family dynamics. But, those are more reasons why I didn't have my babies in hospitals anymore. winky.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 PM

MW, I had forgotten that you had that awful experience w/CPS and the doctor's office. That's so crazy. I've had the opposite experience w/CPS. My DH has called multiple times for things the kids have told  him that their mom has done to them but because there are custody issues, they will not investigate unless a 3rd party calls in. Extremely infuriating.

I love Disney World. The princess stuff doesn't bother me at all. I think it's a magical place for little ones and seeing their eyes light up when they meet one of their favorite characters has to be amazing.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:

There is a difference between healthy babies in the maternity ward (or whatever it's called now) and babies in the NICU, though.
I do understand that nurses have to worry about baby stealers and such, but babies and parents are now given wrist bands so it's not too hard to check that before leaving. I don't think any reasonable parent would object to having their wrist band checked before heading out the door with baby. As little time that nurses actually spend with families of healthy babies, ime, they wouldn't learn much about family dynamics. Anyway, I wouldn't want a nurse getting in the middle of my family dynamics. But, those are more reasons why I didn't have my babies in hospitals anymore. :wink

Oh the baby lo-jacks are for babies out on the regular floor, not in the NICU/PICU. Those units are locked down. You can't get in to them without someone checking that you belong there first. My point is that I would rather nurses be off doing their nursing jobs than stopping every single person walking the halls w/a baby to check their arm bands. They have other things to be taking care of than being hall monitors. If they just make the rule that you need to have the baby in a bassinet, it at least makes the person stick out that is walking around with a baby in their arm.That's my point. Also, some hospitals deal with a WIDE variance of patients. Some people may not make good choices carrying a baby around. Better to have the rules in place. Whenever we are at the hospital for DD, they are required to ask if we have running water, if we have a way to get home when we get discharged, if we have electricity at our house. Doesn't bother me that they ask those questions.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM

I suppose the princess stuff doesn't bug me that much.  It bugs other crunchy mamas, and I feel like if I say she likes princesses, I'll be judged.  Stupid reasoning, I know.  She likes what she likes.  She also loves Bob the Builder, lol.

All this hospital stuff is fascinating to me.

I don't know what I agree with/disagree with...I think I would have to experience it.  I can see the reasoning for a lot of it, but I can also see how it can interfere with how you want to take care of your child.  Idk.  I don't know if I would mind the 3rd degree type questions and playing by their rules, b/c they do have so much to be responsible for.  Food for thought for sure.

Annie - OMG I need my creamer as well!  Meat free would be amazing but I wouldn't hold you guys to it, especially since husbands are probably coming.  winky.gif  I don't expect anyone to bend over backwards.  We're around meat eaters all the time so it's really no big deal and doesn't cause any issues. 

Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that whole CPS thing has made me very jaded about HCPs. The CPS agent was actually very nice and reasonable. i'm sure most are. There's that handful that are overzealous or have a personal agenda with too much power who are the problem, same with doctors. It would have been so easy for someone to call the pediatrician in my OB file to learn that Kellen did exist and was healthy, as was my other young child who was always with me at Kellen's appointments. The bottom line, though, is that I am not required by law to get medical care for myself while pregnant or for my children unless they are sick or injured so there was no legal basis for reporting me to CPS. As far as I can tell, it was malicious and based on the fact that I would not come in for a PP check at the OB's office at 3+ months PP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Oh the baby lo-jacks are for babies out on the regular floor, not in the NICU/PICU. Those units are locked down. You can't get in to them without someone checking that you belong there first. My point is that I would rather nurses be off doing their nursing jobs than stopping every single person walking the halls w/a baby to check their arm bands. They have other things to be taking care of than being hall monitors.

But if the baby lo-jack is meant to keep them from leaving the ward or floor and an alarm sounds if anyone tries to do that, then what's wrong with them walking the halls? The baby or maternity wards are locked down, too. You can't get in or out of them without being checked. You can't get in or out of the L&D ward without being checked. When I did the early check-in for the hospital when having Ethan, I distinctly remember being asked if I wanted people to know I was there, like if someone called the hospital and asked for me or my room number, did I give the staff permission to give out that info. I chose to keep that confidential. No one could even call and ask about me unless they were on my list much less come to my room.

If they are worried about staff running into people, then it would make more sense to tell the staff to be more careful and accommodating. They can do it on the L&D wards where women are permitted to walk the halls during labor. I doubt there are very many who would actually try to leave the building before being discharged. I doubt it would take that much time to check the handful of parents each month or whatever who want to take their babies outside or home early.

The only question, other than did my husband abuse me, that I remember being asked was if we had a carseat.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ Just tell me which you would rather, all of us sharing the same unit and same kitchen or your own kitchen. it's no biggie either wat. just helps me know what i should look for. That won't guarantee one or the other but it will help me to narrow down what we are looking for.

nothing wrong with girls liking princesses. who wouldn't want to be a princess? i know i would. a big reason why i fell in love with sean. he made me feel like a princess. as long as they don't forgo learning how to take care of themselves in case that prince doesn't come along.

Girls are girls and boys are boys and some are not. I spent so much time and energy trying to thwart Ryan's natural boyish traits, all to no avail. He still loved wrestling and guns and farts and other boy stuff. It finally dawned on me that that's just how he is and I was doing him harm by implying that all of those things that he liked were wrong. People are going to like what they like no matter what the rest of us do.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Awwwwww - I wish I could go meet everyone! I am going to be so super jealous orngtongue.gif Annnnnnnd it is gonna be super quiet around here, ha ha ha.

JJ - seriously just grouphug.gif I have never heard of a newborn crying in the hospital. I mean, even J was "good", as in quiet, for the first couple weeks and THEN the crazy *thing we do not talk about or remember* happened. Seriously - I hope she starts outgrowing it more and more.

So - WWYD in this situation. Instead of mourning the nursing relationship I should have had for another 1+ with A I am just going to be grateful she only had to be on formula for a couple months. Would you give almond milk or coconut milk or what? I am thinking of starting to mix some of her bottles with half formula and half either almond or coconut milk. 

I don't really want to give her cow's milk - even organic. BUUUUUT if there is some reason that a younger child needs actual *milk* for some reason I would give her organic cow's milk (I don't have access to raw) 

Just wondering if anyone had any reference points for this - obviously I know we are all nursers. Little PITA arianna irked.gif making life difficult. 

Carrie - that stroller is awesome!

AFM - I don't mind if my girls are girlie. And they all are. I wasn't so much, I was kind of a tomboy. I didn't like princesses and/or pink on a matter of principle and it kind of bugged me that K was completely hooked on the stuff before I was even in the picture. But, I got over it LOL. I don't really get the crunchy momma stance that is *anti-disney* on principle. I'm sure they have some reason for it, but I don't know what! 

I'm sure I am missing a bunch of stuff

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Yeah, She was so loud I was embarassed, thinking the nurses were going to come in and think we were horrific parents because we couldn't even keep our newborn quiet. lol. She was born at 3:22pm, was quiet for... I think about 2 hours while she nursed and kind of woke up, and then was fussy from that point on, and between then and the next evening, I only got about 3 hours sleep. She would -not- be put down, right from the start, and also did not want to be unlatched at all. I felt like such a failure. Now I know it's just -her-, but I was so bewildered that first little bit, and couldn't understand it. 

To my knowledge there is no real need for them to be on cows milk. I don't remember how old she is, just coming up on a year right? I would probably keep on full formula until a year, and then yeah, start weaning down to another milk. I liked rice milk! lol Only because to me it had the least aftertaste. Never tasted coconut milk though. To me, almond milk tasted like almond flavored soy. 

I'm jealous about the gathering too! You and I can keep the group alive that weekend. lol. 

I don't care if my children like Disney, as long as it's not "Disney or nothing". My nieces are like that. Stuff can't be just generic princess stuff-- it HAS to be a disney princess or it's not good enough. I want my children to have the imagination to play dressup with found stuff and make up stories, etc, you know? That's my only beef with it. I love Disney, the movies, the songs, etc... I hate the market that says disney or bust. It's funny because we just had a huge discussion about this in my attachment group (which includes several lesbians and a gay transgender man), and some of the discussion was quite heated! lol

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

I don't really get the crunchy momma stance that is *anti-disney* on principle. I'm sure they have some reason for it, but I don't know what!

I think it's more of a feminist mama thing than a crunchy mama thing, although maybe crunchy mamas tend to be more feminist. Fairy tales tend to depict females as weak and needing to be save and then taken care of by males, first Daddy then brother then husband/prince charming. Many women today don't want their girls growing up with that idea of themselves. They want their girls to be strong and independent and self-sufficient, not always waiting for prince charming to come and save them. Plus, princesses tend to be valued for their physical beauty (which, as portrayed, is completely unobtainable) and niceness rather than their intelligence and ability. If I had girls, I wouldn't want them growing thinking that their only value came from their beauty and ability to please a man. I don't want my boys to grow up thinking that's the purpose of females, either. That's why I'm not a fan of Disney.

But, on the flip side, it's completely natural, and maybe biologically advantageous, for females to be princesses and males to be princes.

Since you can't make it on this trip, maybe next time we can plan something west that you can attend.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think that children (humans) ever need cow's milk. However, I do think it's important for children to have milk for several years. What to do if your baby/child won't nurse that long? I really don't know. A mammalian milk mimics human milk closer than a grain milk. I think I'd probably go with organic cow's milk over soy or rice or almond milk. Those aren't natural. Grains and nuts don't make milk. Coconut milk might be an option because it's natural except that it doesn't contain the same nutrients as mammalian milk.

Ryan weaned at 13 months and I gave him cow's milk. Of course, I didn't know then what I know now and maybe cow's milk wasn't the same 19-20 years ago as it is now, either.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I don't think that children (humans) ever need cow's milk. However, I do think it's important for children to have milk for several years. What to do if your baby/child won't nurse that long? I really don't know. A mammalian milk mimics human milk closer than a grain milk. I think I'd probably go with organic cow's milk over soy or rice or almond milk. Those aren't natural. Grains and nuts don't make milk. Coconut milk might be an option because it's natural except that it doesn't contain the same nutrients as mammalian milk.
Ryan weaned at 13 months and I gave him cow's milk. Of course, I didn't know then what I know now and maybe cow's milk wasn't the same 19-20 years ago as it is now, either.

yeahthat.gif There's a chart on kellymom about the carb/fat content of various milks. I think if you aren't going to do the toddler formula, I would do organic whole cow's milk.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Here's the link to the chart I was talking about. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories.html

Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Girls are girls and boys are boys and some are not. I spent so much time and energy trying to thwart Ryan's natural boyish traits, all to no avail. He still loved wrestling and guns and farts and other boy stuff. It finally dawned on me that that's just how he is and I was doing him harm by implying that all of those things that he liked were wrong. People are going to like what they like no matter what the rest of us do.

Seriously!!

I so agree.  This past christmas, one of my really crunchy mama friends posted she was in a quandary b/c her 3 year old girl wanted play make up, and what should she do??  She didn't want to "do" the whole gender specific stuff.  I was really put off by it, b/c so many of her/our friends were like, oh no, don't get it for her.  Why not?  Girls like to dress up and play like that.  I do agree that forcing the girl stuff out is the same as saying it's bad.  Forcing boys to act demure, or forcing girls to act not, is setting everyone up for disappointment.

I have a confession.  When I think of Nora getting married and dancing with Chris with the father/daughter dance, I get so teary but it's happy tears.  I want her to find happiness, and get married and become a mom.  (if she so chooses, of course).  But when I think about Finn -- I immediately shut down and think no woman is good enough for my boy.  I know where it comes from and I know it's silly.  But I still feel this tug towards holding on to him!

Ooh so much to catch up on.  I left this window open last night and now this morning theres so many more posts!!

JJ - I'm with you.  DD loves dress up, period.  She has a ballerina tutu, regular princess dresses, and the disney themed ones.  She's got high heels!  She loves those darn plastic high heels.  lol.gif

I read this awesome blog post, wish I could remember where, about how the cartoon animated princesses/characters don't cause the same sort of self doubt and comparisons, and low self esteem that comparing oneself to live actresses do.  Even as children we can tell fantasy from reality.  That the real "problems" with comparing our bodies and shape, and hair and skin come from models and actresses, and not an animated character like Cinderella.  

Plus, even from the questions Nora asks, she knows the story in those movies is dramtically oversimplified.

annie - re:milk.  It's completely up to you.  As vegans, we don't use any animal milk.  Granted my first did nurse past a year, but when I worked, once I stopped pumping, we did soymilk in a cuppy (at around 14-15 months).  Slowly she went to drinking soy milk during the day, and nursing only for nap and bed.  It was an incredibly slow process.  So for that reason, if I was in the same boat you are, I would personally choose to continue formula and step down gradually until A is taking in enough solid food to be satisfied, and you feel comfortable replacing that formula with an alternative milk.  There's nothing magic about cows milk vs soy vs almond vs coconut.  The fat content and protein content are what you want to look for.

Re: williamsburg - my first choice would be our own kitchen.  If it comes down to sharing I'm fine with it, but yeah, lets try to do separate.  How much cooking would you guys actually be doing?  I'm thinking at the parks we'll grab food out, right?  I'm thinking we'll really only need to cook breakfasts and some sort of easy dinner, if we don't get take out or go out to eat, right?4 days over a weekend would be awesome.  I say lets shoot for that!  Right now all weekends are open and good for us, so if they're all available, we can narrow it down based off those who work and need time off.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

See, Carrie, I'm with you. I think there's a huge problem with pushing boys and girls to be boyish or girly but the flip side is just as bad, pushing boys and girls to be gender neutral. It sends a bad message, that there's something wrong with being one or the other. I think as long as we support our children's individual interests without pushing one or the other on them we don't need to worry about that. It's one thing to let your DD play dress up if she wants. It's something completely different to make her do those toddler beauty pageants.

Did any of those moms who said not to get the girl make up wear make up themselves? If so, pretty hypocritical. Maybe the girl just wanted to be like her mom. I don't really want my boys thinking war is glamorous but their daddy is a Marine who has been to war more than once since they've been born. He is their hero and they do glamorize what he does. I'm not going to squash that in them. They have plenty of time to find out what war is really like. In the meantime, I seriously doubt they will become rampaging Rambos terrorizing the neighborhood.

I must have missed the part about toddler formula vs. milk in annie's question. I don't know anything about those formulas but I don't trust the manufacturers to keep the ingredients healthy. From what I've read, the only regs for infant (and so probably toddler) formula is the protein/fat/carb content or ratio. There are no other regs on required or excluded ingredients. So, basically, as long as the manufacturer meats those regs they can put in or take out anything else they like. Who knows what they put in there? I've been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and it's really freaking me out. I think I'd try making my own formula if I thought cow's milk wasn't enough. The Weston A. Price website might have some recipes.

my mom is coming today so i have a ton of cleaning to do. i doubt i'll get it done. i have to clean the bathroom for her. it's the one ryan uses and it's filthy. i've been reminding ryan to clean it for 3 days but he hasn't done it even though he said he would. eyesroll.gif then if i can get the kitchen and floors cleans, i'll be happy.

i'll try to get our reservations set while she is here. a minimum of 4 bedrooms, 2 kings, 1 queen and 2 doubles, with 2 or 3 kitchens depending on how many units we get. I'm so excited!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

i forgot to say that i have the same issue with my boys, carrie. it was either my dad or ryan who pointed out to me that i have always liked almost all of ryan's friends, including the bad ones, but have never liked any of his girlfriends even if i liked them before as friends. once they break up and are just friends (again) i like them. it's not anything that i do consciously. i didn't even realize i was doing that. lol.gif

I've got another question about the vacation. The shortest we can get is 3 nights. With check-n on Friday afternoon and check-out Monday morning, we'd have two full days, Saturday and Sunday, plus however much time we want to have on Friday and Monday depending if we want to get there before we can check in and hang out and/or hang out for a while after we check out doing something.

So, just to be clear, do you all want 3 nights, which be 2 full days, or 4 nights, which would be 3 full days?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM

MW - it's funny you say that because my mom has never liked any of our significant others. Now that we are married she puts up with them for the most part - but I have a feeling she would have been happier if we decided to just be perpetually single......she does like the grandbabies though lol.gif

I do *not* want to continue formula for any longer than I have too. And I do *not* want to do toddler formula for the same reason. I don't trust what they put in them. I see more and more things about the sugar content of formula, and them using the wrong kind of sugar. Also the DHA and ARA additives being really bad. (even my organic formula has these additives, although as far as I can tell it didn't use the horrendous kind of sugar that most some organics were using.)

I think I remember reading something about coconut milk having the best fat content? I'm pretty sure that is what the milk is mostly responsible for - getting the good fat. 

Between giving them milk and the really good vitamin and mineral supplement I have started to give her a little bit of, I am pretty confident she can fill in those gaps.

Formula is giving me the heebie jeebies. Oh, plus she is really into food. She has been a Finn. I mean, just Nom Nom Nom anything I ever give her. 

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Oh, I guess I kind of forgot to add that I really don't want to do cow's milk, even organic cows milk. We are already an almond milk drinking family. 

On top of not wanting to worry about hormones and what not - my kids have a tendency to get SUPER constipated on cow's milk. I mean, like crying on the couch for an hour, barfing, and then pooping. As soon as I stopped giving them cow's milk and switched to juice (this was before I knew about almond milk) it went away.

Tags
Baby
User Tag List