February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MW, I'd rather have the last day be Sunday for travel back but I'm ok with Monday as well. For those of you driving from further away, it might be worth it to do 4 nights/3 days but I'm good with either. If it's just me and DD or even if DH comes as well, we probably won't do too much cooking and I do a lot of veggie meat anyways. I hate it when my house smells like fried meat!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

See, Carrie, I'm with you. I think there's a huge problem with pushing boys and girls to be boyish or girly but the flip side is just as bad, pushing boys and girls to be gender neutral. It sends a bad message, that there's something wrong with being one or the other. I think as long as we support our children's individual interests without pushing one or the other on them we don't need to worry about that. It's one thing to let your DD play dress up if she wants. It's something completely different to make her do those toddler beauty pageants.

I'm of the opinion that I don't really care what my children's preferences run towards (within reason, one of the things we talked about in the thread was bratz dolls and the like), as long as they are given full access and support to toys and play that are typically both genders. IE if Tenley -wants- to play dress up and princesses and ballerinas and hates getting muddy, that's fine, as long as she's given an environment that teaches her that she can play with mud and trucks and forts and not be less of a girl. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

They call the saturated fats in coconut milk healthy fats as compared to the saturated fats in animal products. Although, I'm not convinced that the saturated fats in animal products are really unhealthy. It's the way we've manipulated animal growth that has lead to the products containing more saturated fats than is normal and natural that's the problem, imo. My concern with subbing coconut (or any other milk) for mammalian milk is the protein content. There's virtually no protein in rice and coconut milks unless it's added. There's more in soy and almond milks because those contain higher concentrations of protein, anyway. But, I don't know that it compares to mammalian milk, especially the types of proteins. Without doing any research, my gut reaction is that almond milk would be better than soy.

Honestly, if you aren't going to do breastmilk, I'd probably cut out milk all together as a drink, maybe just use it for cereal. I wouldn't offer any of those other milks as drinks to replace mammalian milk. I'd probably offer coconut milk as a drink like any other if the kids like it. Does that make sense? But, then again, I don't really know much about how much milk toddlers need, especially if they are eating a lot of solid foods.

Here's an interesting article, although it doesn't provide any info for alternatives to milk and toddler formula. http://www.newbornbabyzone.com/toddler/toddler-formula-good-idea-or-clever-marketing/

Here's an article about the nutrition requirements of toddlers. http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/healthy_eating/toddler_food.html# It's very mainstream, though, so I'm not sure I agree with it. For example, it says that all kids should consume dairy products. I don't agree with that. I think it's just an easy way for people to get calcium and vitamin D and our society has been so ingrained that we need dairy products (great marketing on the part of dairy farmers and dairy food manufacturers) but there are certainly other ways.

Here's another one, but again, it doesn't really offer alternatives if you want to avoid formula and all milks. http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/weeklyquestion/a/020602_ask.htm I find it humurous that YooHoo is listed as a good choice. lol.gif

So annoying that there isn't info out there on how to feed your child without some sort of dairy.I guess the thing to do would if you really wanted to avoid all of that is to find legumes, vegies and fruits that are high in calcium and vitamin D. Legumes are a good source of calcium and iron (not sure about vitamin D), but you have to eat more of them to get the same amount. But since you all take a vitamin D supplement anyway, maybe that one is not as much of a concern. Leafy green and coniferous veggies are good sources of calcium.

For the vacation, I was thinking a Friday to a Monday because then those who work regular work weeks would only have to take off 1-2 days. If we did 4 nights and checked out on a Sunday, we'd be checking in on a Wednesday, which would mean having to take 2-3 days off. Not sure if that's a problem for anyone. The days and length don't matter to me but they might to Sean. I'm just going to plan it and hope he can get the time off.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I'm of the opinion that I don't really care what my children's preferences run towards (within reason, one of the things we talked about in the thread was bratz dolls and the like), as long as they are given full access and support to toys and play that are typically both genders. IE if Tenley -wants- to play dress up and princesses and ballerinas and hates getting muddy, that's fine, as long as she's given an environment that teaches her that she can play with mud and trucks and forts and not be less of a girl. 

We cross-posted. ITA

But, unfortunately, it's a bit different for boys. It's perfectly ok in our society, for the most part, to let girls take part in what has typically been boy stuff. However, it is not as ok to let boys take part if things that are considered girly. It's still very wide spread that boys shouldn't play with dolls, or if they do, they should be boy dolls rather than baby dolls, or do ballet or wear pink or flowers. I got a lot of flack from the guys for letting Ethan choose and wear pink pants when he was 5. He liked the color. He didn't know they were "girl" pants. Why would I care? It didn't turn him into a girl or make him gay, which is the only things I can think of that scare people about stuff like that. eyesroll.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM

My concern would be making sure the toddler gets enough fat. Their brains are still rapidly developing and need lots of fat. If you could get plenty of fats in their diet other ways, then there shouldn't be a need for any milk or milk substitute.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

More vacation info and questions. In doing more searching for rooms, I've found that they have something called a 4 bedroom lock off. It's two 2 bedroom deluxes with a connecting door into the living rooms. Each room has 1 bedroom with a king and 1 bedroom with 2 queens, a full kitchen, living room, balcony and jacuzzi tubs in the king bedrooms. If we got that, whoever shares with Carrie could just use the kitchen in the other unit. So, I guess the only problem with that might be if we have 3 of us wanting to make 3 different meals at the same time. I think it would be fun if we were all staying together as much as possible.

The other best option, I think, is a 2 bedroom deluxe and a 2 bedroom lockoff. That would come with 2 full kitchens and 1 mini kitchen. The only problem with that is that there's no guarantee the units would be next to each other or even in the same building.

So, which one would you all prefer, 4 bedroom lock off so we are all together but only 2 kitchens or the 2 separate 2 bedroom units but 3 kitchens?

Oh, and I looked into scheduling for a Sunday check out. That would mean checking in on a Wednenday. Since that's in the middle of all the weeks, there's more chance that we'd have to move to a different unit halfway through out stay. And, I kept getting mixed up about the 4 nights with check-in on Friday. That would mean check-out Tuesday morning.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:

More vacation info and questions. In doing more searching for rooms, I've found that they have something called a 4 bedroom lock off. It's two 2 bedroom deluxes with a connecting door into the living rooms. Each room has 1 bedroom with a king and 1 bedroom with 2 queens, a full kitchen, living room, balcony and jacuzzi tubs in the king bedrooms. If we got that, whoever shares with Carrie could just use the kitchen in the other unit. So, I guess the only problem with that might be if we have 3 of us wanting to make 3 different meals at the same time. I think it would be fun if we were all staying together as much as possible.
The other best option, I think, is a 2 bedroom deluxe and a 2 bedroom lockoff. That would come with 2 full kitchens and 1 mini kitchen. The only problem with that is that there's no guarantee the units would be next to each other or even in the same building.
So, which one would you all prefer, 4 bedroom lock off so we are all together but only 2 kitchens or the 2 separate 2 bedroom units but 3 kitchens?
Oh, and I looked into scheduling for a Sunday check out. That would mean checking in on a Wednenday. Since that's in the middle of all the weeks, there's more chance that we'd have to move to a different unit halfway through out stay. And, I kept getting mixed up about the 4 nights with check-in on Friday. That would mean check-out Tuesday morning.

I think the 4 bedroom lock-off would be the most fun. I can share a kitchen w/Carrie and just keep my cheese in the other fridge. I cook mostly veggie anyways. I'd rather not have to move once we settle in so whatever start-stop on the days accommodates that. Oh do the units have washer/dryers? With all our cloth, we're going to need it!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Oh and to add to that, even if my DH were there, he eats veggie meat too so wouldn't have a problem if I cooked him a dinner that was veggie meat or tofu.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that works out, Annie. I didn't realize you guys were mainly vegetarian. I don't mind going vegan for the trip but I know Sean wouldn't be happy about that.

Yes, there are washer/dryers in all the units. I thought of mentioning that. I plan to bring our CDs. I always have before.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I booked it! joy.gif I got a 4 bedroom lock off. Check in is 9/14 and it's for 4 nights, so check out will be that following Tuesday.

Here's a link to the place. https://www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com/ffr/resort/details.do

If that doesn't take you right to it, it's called Governor's Green at Williamsburg, VA. The 4 bedroom lock off consists of two 2 bedroom deluxe units.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Ok, I booked it! :joy I got a 4 bedroom lock off. Check in is 9/14 and it's for 4 nights, so check out will be that following Tuesday.
Here's a link to the place. https://www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com/ffr/resort/details.do
If that doesn't take you right to it, it's called Governor's Green at Williamsburg, VA. The 4 bedroom lock off consists of two 2 bedroom deluxe units.

energy.gifSo excited!!!!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Oh and if we want to go to Busch Gardens, my company usually has discount tickets for sale so I can buy us tickets when it gets closer to the date so we don't have to pay the full price. Yay! Oh my goodness! I'm so excited and the resort looks awesome!

Yeah, it's funny, we do mostly veggie meat at my house. In fact the kids get upset if I buy regular breakfast sausage instead of veggie sausage. They want veggie hotdogs and veggie chicken patties and veggie burger crumble in spaghetti instead of hamburger meat. shrug.gif It's what I grew up eating so it's not out of the ordinary for me. And when I get thai food or chinese food, I always get tofu instead of meat.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 AM

I am super excited about our trip!!!

Gabe is very into boy things; and I love that he is. Being the first and a boy, obv there just isn't girl stuff around for him to play with. he doesn't seem interested in dolls. He likes to help cook. He likes curling irons and blow dryers. He could care less if his fuzzy blanket were pink or blue.

With Norah, I am absolutely anti-Barbie. she's unrealistic, and a poorly made toy at that. I'd far rather buy into American Girl type dolls. Well made, realistic, come with books . . . clothes and accesories are well made. I am also anti-Princess. not disney princesses, but like calling her princess. some do this to their daughters all the time and it bugs me. I would really rather she not get super into disney princess stuff, but I know kids love playing pretend, and it is fun to pretend to be a princess. kid make up . . . .I would rather buy adult make up and let her play with it once in a while. The kid stuff is ugly and usually gross. I don't wear make up often, when I do, its usually just eye make up.  Plus I am pretty sure what's in kid make up is just not good. I don't think mom let us have sets until we were like 5 or more. I really wouldn't give a set to my toddler to play with. Now if she got into mine . . .that maybe cute and funny. IDK

Gabe loves playing with girls. his favorite place in church nursery is the toy kitchen. (where he plays with one of his best girl friends, Emma)

food - I really just don't like tofu. but hey, I eat liver and octopus and squid, and I know lots of people who don't like to eat those either :)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

I checked out prices of the various attractions yesterday. I think we'll do Jamestown/Yorktown and Williamsburg for at least one day. Jamestown/Yorktown is relatively cheap. Williamsburg was only $24-$30 a day per adult and about half that for kids over 6. Kellen and Dylan would be free. I think I worked it out that it would cost around $107 for all 5 of us to do all 3 of those. we might even get a 3-day pass for williamsburg because that was only a few dollars more.

busch gardens is expensive, $67 per adult! i don't remember how much for kids. plus, parking. i doubt we'll do that even with a discount, unless it's a big discount. it's really hard for me to think about spending that much for an amusement park. but, who knows? if everyone else really wants to go and we've got money to burn i might be persuaded.

I didn't even know there was pretend make up for girls. I'm so ignorant to that sort of thing. I let my kids play with my make up. Kellen asked me to give him a make over the other night.

Ryan asked for a Barbie when he was around 5 or 6. I got one for him for either his birthday or Christmas. As soon as he opened the box, he stripped her naked, turned her upside and spread her legs. lol.gif Poor guy was so confused when he realized she wasn't anatomically correct. Those American Girl dolls are scary. A girl brought one with her to Ethan's choral recital. It was sitting the in the chair in front of me. It took a while for me to realize it was a doll. After that I kept getting creeped out by it. Too realistic, I guess. lol.gif

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

I started a new thread for March. I can't believe it's March already.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1346684/march-2012-rockstar-mamas-and-their-babies#post_16896642

Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 AM

Hooray for our trip! Thanks, MW!!!  joy.gif  I'm so excited!  Both for the trip and to finally meet all of you!!!  

Annie - I want to go to Busch!  We'll talk tickets, ok?  Do you know who will come with you?  Any roller coaster riders?  I would LOVE to go on the big coasters with someone.  With the babies, if Chris and I went alone, we'd only get to do kid stuff.  I love that we'll have a group to watch kids if anyone wants to ride.

Kat - I was the same and still feel the same about Barbie and all that, but my MIL bought Nora her first and it kind of got out of hand.  I would say she spends less than 5% of her time playing with them, but my MIL still has this pull to buy them for her.  And the clothes.  Which makes no sense b/c all Nora does with the dolls is take their clothes off and leave them nekkid.

Ooh ditto on calling her princess, etc.  I don't do it.  Can't stop other ppl from doing it, though.

OMG.  Last night Chris and I were in the living room and Nora comes strolling in butt nekkid, and announces, "Mommy I DO have a penis!  See!?  In here, it's really small!" and pulls her labia apart.  Chris and I tried not to DIE holding in laughter.  It was CLASSIC.  I've told her 100 times what it's called for real and she's seen it 100 times, but still.  It's so cute to see how they view their bodies.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

kellen tells me i have a penis. i think he just can't quite grasp the concept that everyone isn't just like him. and, i guess technically, they are right since that's the part that would have become a penis if we had been boys.

Tags
Baby
User Tag List