February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We need to find a way to do a group vacation for all of us - definitely the beach because we all like that!

I was sick a couple months ago, but it was food poisoning. explosive out of both ends at the same time. I tell you that sucked. It was one of the few times I was happy to be in MIL's house, because she didn't mind cleaning up, bless her heart.  I hope to never have that again, but it was over in a matter of hours.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM

I'm not getting notifications for anything on MDC again and it's driving me nuts. 

Carrie-- you could do fall though! I'm trying to decide when we would try to go. A lot of it will depend on her development. I'd love for her to be walking first, so probably moreso it would be around this time or a little later, as opposed to before Christmas. My mom typically takes a vacation every year in December, but T would be just barely a year, so that's pushing it. 

If we decide that somewhere tropical is not happening, then we're going to try to go to Toronto this summer for some sightseeing while she's still very easily wearable and portable food-wise. It sucks though because we've got free round trip flights to TO, but it's still not much cheaper than doing a cheap all inclusive. 

The vacation also brings up the vax concerns again, and which ones we would want to make sure she had before going to say Cuba again. We did some more talking last night, and for now, we're holding off on the pertussis (so the five in one shot), and she will probably get Td in a few years. While I -am- worried about pertussis, I'm just not convinced enough that the vaccine options are the bext choice. I think we are going to go ahead and get the prevnar-- we just can't decide if we should give it now, at 2 months, or wait until at least her next visit at 4 months. It's one of those that the longer you wait, the more chance you're taking (because it primarily hits under age 2), but I also feel like she's still so little to be getting shots!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#63 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 PM

JJ: on shots; if you really like and trust your ped to be honest with you regarding risks/benefits of vaccines, I'd bring it up and see what he/she says and take that opinion into account.

We don't travel internationally (not that I wouldn't like to)  - but if we did, I would maybe feel a little differently about some of the vaxes. It's a struggle to just get Gabe's haircut or his nails clipped; shots would be a nightmare.

I didn't know today was the FB nurse in - glad MW posted about it so I had a reason to post one of my impromto BF'ing pics a photog friend got a few weeks ago. she is awesome.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#64 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Carrie - OMG that is sooooo funny you compared it to morning sickness because that is how it always starts out for me. I start freaking out because it feels like I am pregnant and then it just gets worse and worse and then I start puking.

But yeah, the one I had in May was H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E Sounds like Chris had it like that too. Except it was coming out both ends for me.

I literally considered (more like dreamed)  calling 911 in the throes of it. I could barely get to the bathroom and my vision was whiting out and I was almost fainting. I actually couldn't lift up my head while sitting on the toilet because I was so lightheaded. 

Ugh - I swear, one day I will die from that thing.

Now I really want to go on vacation! We are thinking about going to FL in Sep. My brother has a few places he bought out there that are right on the beach. Unfortunately we will have to drive.....yuck. 

Yep, today was FB nurse-in. I did know about it, but totally forgot. They actually had a physical nurse-in at some of the headquarters too.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#65 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM

I didn't know about it either until she posted. I had to search for a nursing photo- I don't really have any where it's obvious she's nursing and not just that I'm holding her. I suppose that's one point for discrete nursing and the fact that NIP doesn't have to be a mom letting her boob hang out everywhere... 

My dr is the type who if I go in and say I've done my research, and this is what we're comfortable with- then she will respect my choices. but if I don't already know what I want to do, I'm sure she would push heavily for me to get all of them. We talked to her a bit about it at her last appt, and she basically said the only one she saw a reason not to get was the flu and the chickenpox, but that she felt all the other ones were valuable. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#66 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I didn't know about it either until she posted. I had to search for a nursing photo- I don't really have any where it's obvious she's nursing and not just that I'm holding her. I suppose that's one point for discrete nursing and the fact that NIP doesn't have to be a mom letting her boob hang out everywhere... 

My dr is the type who if I go in and say I've done my research, and this is what we're comfortable with- then she will respect my choices. but if I don't already know what I want to do, I'm sure she would push heavily for me to get all of them. We talked to her a bit about it at her last appt, and she basically said the only one she saw a reason not to get was the flu and the chickenpox, but that she felt all the other ones were valuable. 

Obviously you all know how I feel about vaxing in general orngtongue.gif But I would personally wait until 6 months before giving a baby shots. 

MW just posted something on FB the other day about the spike in SIDS right around 2-3 months (right when people start giving vaccines) It seems like either those are the babies who are super super sensitive and/or that young it is just a really bad idea....

I have not given vaccines to any of my last two - and they are super healthy. I think a lot of it is fear mongering. 

Personally - I think the best thing to do for babies is to breastfeed them so they get the antibodies from their mom's if and when they are exposed to said things. Even if I got RSV and it just looked like a cold, my breastmilk would actually GIVE the baby my antibodies so the baby wouldn't get it as bad.

anyways - I'm rambling.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#67 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM

I've had an idea rattling around in my head for the past few days and I wanted to run it past you ladies. I don't think any of you will be offended ( I hope not!). All the talk about vaccines and illnesses the past couple of days has gotten me thinking. What part do you think genetics plays in to whether or not someone, even a child/baby, gets sick? I know that breastfeeding reduces the incidence of illness, that's been documented. I know that vaccines can weaken the immune system and make kids susceptible to illness. But why do some kids that are breastfed and unvaxed get sick? And other kids that are maybe breastfed but vaxed don't get sick? Why do some grownups get sick but others don't? That's where I'm thinking genetics comes in to play. I rarely get sick. When I was a nanny, that was one of the things that the mom always bragged on me about was that I never got sick, even when their whole family was sick. I got colds when I was pregnant and that was so strange to me! I got a cold while DD was in the hospital for this last surgery but it was because I had gone days without sleeping and I knew I would get sick. DD has never been sick. Even when DH and her big sibs have been sick and coughing and hacking all over her, she still hasn't gotten sick. Is it luck? Is it genetics? Is it from breastfeeding? If so, why are other breastfed babies getting sick?

Oh and Annie, I'm sure you were just using RSV as an example but the RSV shot isn't a vaccine. It's a medicinal injection that elicits an immune response so it is similar to a vaccine but not the same. Also it's not available to the general public due to the high cost of the medicine so a child has to have a significant medical reason to qualify to receive the medicine.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#68 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM

I think a lot is Genetic, some people are more prone than others to fall sick. DH and his family are those kind of people. But DH can lessen the severity of his illnesses with certain vitamins and supplements. Me and my family are rarely sick, and even more rarely are we very sick. So far, te kids seem less likely to get sick. Genetics, breast feeding, not vexing, or all combined?

Boy I am tired! My own fault for not sleeping when I get the chance.

#69 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I've had an idea rattling around in my head for the past few days and I wanted to run it past you ladies. I don't think any of you will be offended ( I hope not!). All the talk about vaccines and illnesses the past couple of days has gotten me thinking. What part do you think genetics plays in to whether or not someone, even a child/baby, gets sick? I know that breastfeeding reduces the incidence of illness, that's been documented. I know that vaccines can weaken the immune system and make kids susceptible to illness. But why do some kids that are breastfed and unvaxed get sick? And other kids that are maybe breastfed but vaxed don't get sick? Why do some grownups get sick but others don't? That's where I'm thinking genetics comes in to play. I rarely get sick. When I was a nanny, that was one of the things that the mom always bragged on me about was that I never got sick, even when their whole family was sick. I got colds when I was pregnant and that was so strange to me! I got a cold while DD was in the hospital for this last surgery but it was because I had gone days without sleeping and I knew I would get sick. DD has never been sick. Even when DH and her big sibs have been sick and coughing and hacking all over her, she still hasn't gotten sick. Is it luck? Is it genetics? Is it from breastfeeding? If so, why are other breastfed babies getting sick?

Oh and Annie, I'm sure you were just using RSV as an example but the RSV shot isn't a vaccine. It's a medicinal injection that elicits an immune response so it is similar to a vaccine but not the same. Also it's not available to the general public due to the high cost of the medicine so a child has to have a significant medical reason to qualify to receive the medicine.

Yeah, I was totally just using it as an example AND I think I was actually trying to use pertussis (whooping cough), as the example but I got them confused. lol.gif Gotta love trying to write while being interrupted annoyed to death by kiddo's. 

So basically RSV shouldn't be a problem to a kid who is *healthy*? That's good to know! LOL

IME - breastfed babies very rarely get sick (maybe babies in general, but I don't have any experience with a formula fed infant). My kids usually get their first cold/fever/cough/runny nose, etc.sometime after their first birthday (not sure, and I am sure it varies) EVEN if we as a family have been sick. For example, Jacinta was very very sick for almost the entire winter when she was 2. It was when Mikelina was a baby, and she never got sick. 

For adults, I think a lot of it has to do with genetics and personality. I know my brother gets stressed out a lot and he is always sick. And he always catches everything too. 

I am very rarely sick sick, like to the point where I can't get up and go to work and/or just do things in general. The only thing I am super prone to getting is the stomach bug (I just have an irritable bowel in general too) 

BUT and its a big but - I usually feel like crap. Like serious crap. All.The.Time. I know there is something wrong with me, I just don't know *what*. I have a really low basal body temp. (like sometimes 95.1 when I took in orally in the beginning before switching to vaginally) but I am not entirely sure I am hypothyroid. I also had the varying temps which would indicate adrenal fatigue. 
I also just realized I might be borderline hypoglycemic. I took my blood sugar this morning AFTER eating and it was only 68 (70 is low normal, so I don't think it is something that is to serious, but I would probably feel better if I followed the right diet) I guess if you have low blood sugar at any point and time your body is more succeptible (sp?) to colds at the time when it is low.

Anyways, I think my point is that something comes into play. Some babies/kids can get all the vaccines on schedule and not show any real adverse reactions whereas some die after their first 2 month vaccine visit KWIM? 

#70 of 407 Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I think a lot is Genetic, some people are more prone than others to fall sick. DH and his family are those kind of people. But DH can lessen the severity of his illnesses with certain vitamins and supplements. Me and my family are rarely sick, and even more rarely are we very sick. So far, te kids seem less likely to get sick. Genetics, breast feeding, not vexing, or all combined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

For adults, I think a lot of it has to do with genetics and personality. I know my brother gets stressed out a lot and he is always sick. And he always catches everything too. 

I think it's likely a combination of all those things-- and YES on the stress! Big factor. I also think a lot of how you're treated (as in medically treated, not emotionally) as children plays a part, because your immune system is able to properly develop, as opposed to depending on outside sources-- ie my mother didn't really 'treat' colds, and as a result, I believe my body is better able to fight them off now. So I think it turns into such a nature vs nurture. I don't think you can completely rule out any of those factors. 

#71 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 AM

JJ: I think you are on to something there. MIL is far more likely to want to run to the doctor (when DS had a cold somehere around age 1ish she kept pushing us to take him. We had to explain that there isn't anything a doctor can do for a cold anyway, so why bother? - also - when I had food poisoning she wanted me to go to the doctor. I said why? it'll be over in a matter of hours. I just need to stay hydrated)

My mom, OTOH, never took us to the doctor. I mean, we went for check ups and shots only when the school required it. when I was under 10, I think I only remember going for shots and when I'd get pink eye. (I have had that several times) I might have had an ear infection once too. My sister though, is kind of a hypochondriac. But there is enough real stuff wrong with her you have to take her seriously. When we were young, it was arthritis (they were never sure what sort), and she got tested repeatedly for asthma. Now she is having GI troubles and is undergoing tests for that, and she thinks she's lactose intolerant. My sister is also a worrier and I am not.

I wish I had studies or something to point to, but only have personal experience.

Didn't sleep well - DD was fussy around 3, and somehow her (disposable) diaper leaked and there was a puddle on the bed. so I had to change her diaper, clothes, and lay a towel on the bed so we could go back to sleep. Her diaper wasn't even extremely full. So I slept in a little this morning. :)

#72 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 AM

I definitely think genetics has something to do with it.  I was even reading things that type O blood type is more succeptible to illness than others.  

Anecdotally, DH rarely gets sick.  When he does, it lasts so much shorter than anyone else who has it.  Usually it skips him completely.

As for BF babies rarely getting sick, DS is like the exception to the rule.  He's already had a cold, an ear infection, and a stomach bug -- at not even 6 months old.  Completely EBF.  None happened around any getting any vaccines so I can't even blame lowered immunity response.  All were from exposure.  DD on the other hand didn't get any colds til after she was 1, and no ear infections til after 2 when she weaned.  So go figure!  Wish there was a way to know who was more susceptible to illness.  Would make motherhood much less stressful.

Immune health in an adult has to have something to do with it as well.  I think healthy diet, exercise, low stress level, happiness all lead to having a stronger immune system.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#73 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 AM

namaste.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#74 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM

oooh I got my new wrap in! it's all lovely and girly too! pic below because I just can't help myself:

44b9a9be.jpg

#75 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM

That is a gorgeous wrap and a great picture !!! You two look great!! I love your hair, too. Looks so easy and is a cute style for you.

dd must have posted that icon in my name before. Sigh.,I didn't even realize she did that.

We got outside today, hooray. Went to the park. I'm glad so far Finn does well in the stroller and doesn't put up much of a fuss. I weighed him today at home and got 21.6 lbs. Geez.

Feeling human again finally and able to eat a little more. Still can't think about food for too long. Ugh.

Sent from my SGH-T959

#76 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM

LOL: I had no idea; kids and computers, huh?

Thanks! the wrap was sort of an impulse purchase. but it was on layaway, so it tempered the impulse a little bit. I wanted something that would be good for summertime (breathable!) but also pretty and girly.  DH doesn't mind since 1) I used $$ from selling cloth and 2) I do USE my wraps alot so it's not like I'm wasting $$ on something I don't use. I told him I was thinking about selling the boba since I don't use it much. He said NO - he wants to use it! since he is wrap-phobic. oh well . . .

and yes, I :love: my hair! I almost wish the bangs were a little shorter. but hey, otherwise super happy!

too much work today, so I didn't get any outside time :(

#77 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 02:30 PM

I think I want to cut my hair short, it's all falling out anyway and all I do is put it in a knot on top of my head every day.  I even sleep with it up.  Trying to convince DH though is another story.  I just want something that looks a little more put together, and not as messy, with minimal effort.  I think now I'm finally getting why moms cut their hair.

Something like this:

4192927_2.jpg

I've never had hair that short though and my hair has curl to it so idk if it would even work or if it would just look silly.

#78 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM

you might have to use a flat iron. but that is super cute; I used to have my hair like that - but it's still longer than I want now - LOL!

DH thankfully doesn't much care how I cut my hair. I say do it; you just never know!

#79 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Cute cut Baby_Cakes! Since your hair has curl, you would probably need to use a flat iron to get it to look like that. Just guessing though...I'm not very good with hair!

akind1, love the wrap but love the baby inside it more! She looks like she has the best time riding around on your back!

Annie, saw the pic you posted of A on FB. How is that child so big?!? She looks like she is so stable on her feet!

AFM, the last of DD's steristrips fell off today! Her incision looks great. We have her first post-op cardiology appt tomorrow. Should be pretty uneventful. She must be going through a growth spurt because she's up every 2 hours at night to eat. sleepytime.gif Trying to pump every two hours to increase my supply so I pump every time she wakes up and every two hours when I'm at work. I think I'm going to start taking alfalfa too. Has anyone taken that to increase milk?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#80 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Oh yes, I'd definitely need to iron it! idk if I'm ready to make that leap but I'm sure tired of what I have going on.

I've never taken alfalfa but I've heard good things. I've used more milk plus tincture with good results in pumping output. Glad she's healing well!! She looks adorable in all the pics you post!!

Making salad and chili for dinner tonight. So happy to have my appetite back!!

Sent from my SGH-T959

#81 of 407 Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Baby_Cakes - that is hilarious that your DD did that icon, because you were talking about how important it is to be stress free and she picks that one!! biglaugh.gifMy sister has a somewhat similar haircut to the one you put up and she wears it both ways. If she has time she will iron it to look like that or she will utilize her natural waviness if she is in a hurry and they both look good. 

akind1 - that wrap is so pretty! What a cute pic of your baby girl too, kids grow up so fast..........

AnnieA - I know! She is so big! Except she really isn't *big* because she is only a little over sixteen pounds - LOL Gotta love the little Italian genes from my DH's side. Her and M are so short that they actually still LOOK chubby though so it's all good. Super skinny babies freak me out orngtongue.gif

That is awesome about Ava's strips falling off!! Yay!!! I don't know how you pump every two hours around the clock, that is craziness. Hope you get some sleep soon caffix.gif

I really need to start working out - I did a 20 min workout on Zumba for the xbox 360 and I was sweating. AND I wasn't even doing a great job! I was pleasantly surprised to see that I am 124 pounds (without eating yet) when I was at my brothers. I don't own a scale. It is the lowest I have been in a looooooong time. At least 3ish years. Of course I only fluctuate like 10 pounds so REALLY I am just the most out of shape skinny person you will ever meet!!

I think it would give me more energy if I work out too.

#82 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 05:07 AM

I ran it by DH and he all but talked me out of the hair cut, lol.  Idk what I'll do.  Maybe I'll go blond again or something, I just need a boost or a change or SOMETHING.  I'm feeling sort of blah.

annie - you just need to work on your endurance!  can you do a c25k?  I found that working on my cardiovascular health/cardio wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be and bounced back to being able to run distances w/o getting as winded quicker than I thought.  Since weight loss isnt necessarily your goal, you can just focus on the endurance aspect.  wish I had that problem, lol!!  Though with this stomach virus I lost about 5 lbs in one weekend.  Ugh.  Not how I was planning to get into the 130s!  

I think Finn's weight is finally slowing down.  I was looking back at his weights and he was putting on 1 lb a week for a long time, sometimes 1.5.  He only gained 1 lb or so this past 3-4 weeks.  So whew.  I was trying to figure out what size he'll be wearing for next year, thinking he would just keep growing like this, but I bet he'll stay in his current 12 mo size for awhile.  He still has room to grow tall in it, just not much room to grow chubbier, so that's in my favor.  

DH is in NYC all day today so me and the kiddos are on our own.  I think Nora is ok to go to school.  She was sick on Friday, and then Chris and I on Sat, and Finn on Sunday (but just barely).  So, 3 days should be enough right?  For her it's 5 days since she was sick.  I hate to potentially spread germs but I also hate for her to keep missing class and her friends when she feels otherwise fine.  She's just regressed a bit with the potty, so I hope there's no issues at school (not like they aren't used to it, but still).  I'd pick her up early, too, at 5:15 or so instead of having her stay til they close at 630.  

I'm planning on running to Target while she's there for some essentials.  We are going to get some better storage furniture for our living room, but until then I need a better bin for Finn's toys.  

#83 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 AM

She's probably fine to go to school. The rule here is that a child has to be symptom-free for 24 hrs. So if the last vomit session was 7 PM Monday night, they can go back Wednesday morning.

#84 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM

Carrie - I think she'll be fine. Enjoy your Target run!

I downloaded the C25K app, but unless I can leave the kids with DH I need a jogging stroller. I wonder if anyone would just let me borrow one? I don't think it's something I will use long term, as I am not a runner. Or maybe I just need to stick with long walks.

Last night was horrible. DS took over an hour to get to sleep, and DD was even worse. Then DS woke around 2 and it took nearly 2 hours for DH to get him back to sleep. He was just really, really, upset. DD wanted to sleep on me, which is fine, sort of. (just not comfy for me), but she actually didn't nurse between 11:30 and 6. I offered, but she didn't want; she wanted to just suck on the paci and be *near* the boob. ugh. so lots of coffee today.

I forgot - did I tell you about MIL and kool-aid? - Tuesday night DH and I ran to the store for more lemonade and other stuff. we got home and MIL was so Proud? excited? whatever - she's like  - I made Gabe Hawaiian punch kool-aid with Stevia and he liked it!!! I was like, duh, he liked it and I told her that I don't mind (sort of ) if he gets it as a treat, but I really don't want him having it as a regular beverage. If you don't want to give him water, then I would rather he have tea than kool aid. It's not juice, there isn't anything REAL in it; it's just junk.  I did say all that and she just looked so heartbroken, I almost felt bad. But I'm serious. She's worried about the acid in the juice/lemonade being bad for his teeth. Now this is real lemonade - not minutemaid powder crap (which she has suggested we switch to because it's cheaper) - by Simply Lemonade, actually he normally drinks the raspberry lemonade cut 1/2 with water.

DH thinks the artificial coloring in the koolaid (which he was given more of last night!! ugh) contributed to Gabe's being so upset and difficult, etc. Not saying he's wrong - he is probably very right.

I just had to vent. and also, would any of you be concerned about the acid in lemonade/orange juice and teeth? It never occured to me, so I thought I'd ask.

#85 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Baby_Cakes - yes, I definitely need to get up my endurance. I think that is why I am going to start out with the Zumba and THEN do the C25K app. I have more fun dancing than being on my elliptical miserable and the seconds are baaaaaareeeeelllllyyyyy passing.

Personally - I would not do C25K unless it was on an elliptical. Running is one of the *worst* things you can do to your joints even as a professional athlete. Peeps like me who just decide to start running one day. Ugh. I can just see the damage in my brain lol.gif Of course I have a bad back and have arthritis in my family so I tend to be more cautious than others.

I also agree that Nora is fine to go to school. She is technically still contagious for 2 weeks, but who the heck keeps their kids home for 2 weeks??? That is why that horrendous thing is so hard to contain once it gets started. It takes no prisoners :P

A was HORRIBLE last night as well. I really need to get some hylands teething tabs. So bad. I am so exhausted. I can't even drink coffee - it hurts my stomach in the morning. I do drink a healthy energy drink though, it tastes like orange so my stomach can tolerate it. 

#86 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I was trying to figure out what size he'll be wearing for next year, thinking he would just keep growing like this, but I bet he'll stay in his current 12 mo size for awhile.  He still has room to grow tall in it, just not much room to grow chubbier, so that's in my favor.  

We're having the opposite. She's outgrowing the length long before the width. I put a carters sleeper on her a few days ago that was listed a 6m. She was 10 weeks yesterday. Her 3-6m onesies too, she's -fully- fitting into. They probably will only fit for another few weeks. Yikes! She's got plenty of onesies up to about the 12m mark, but we'll probably have to buy more sleepers by spring. Crazy stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Last night was horrible. DS took over an hour to get to sleep, and DD was even worse. Then DS woke around 2 and it took nearly 2 hours for DH to get him back to sleep. He was just really, really, upset. DD wanted to sleep on me, which is fine, sort of. (just not comfy for me), but she actually didn't nurse between 11:30 and 6. I offered, but she didn't want; she wanted to just suck on the paci and be *near* the boob. ugh. so lots of coffee today.

I forgot - did I tell you about MIL and kool-aid? 

DH thinks the artificial coloring in the koolaid (which he was given more of last night!! ugh) contributed to Gabe's being so upset and difficult, etc. Not saying he's wrong - he is probably very right.

I just had to vent. and also, would any of you be concerned about the acid in lemonade/orange juice and teeth? It never occured to me, so I thought I'd ask.

Ugh. Sounds like such a frustrating night. We had a good one last night, but horrible the night before- I didn't get to sleep until 230am. Last night we got into bed at about 1015 and nursed, and she kept waking up everytime I tried to put her down or even just lie back myself. Finally at midnight she let me put her down, but then she had a good rest of the night. 

Kool aid!! And she's worried about the acid? I think you need to be conscious of the acid in the juice, but if you're cutting it with water, and not giving it right before bed, I wouldn't be too worried about it. But yes, I have heard that about the dye in colored foods, and it seems to be a common reaction for a lot of children. 

My mom is coming over today to give me some time to catch up and regain sanity. We had a super rough day yesterday, and I need to recenter myself. 

#87 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM

yay for help! sometimes it's so needed.

DH and I are in total agreement: no more kool aid. The thing that's funny is, when MIL said she had made some, I had an initial gut reaction of NO- that is BAD stuff - but just couldn't articulate why it was BAD - or at least not GOOD for Gabe. just goes to show you, go with your gut!

Norah I think needs to have a poop; I think that's what is wrong with her (fussy wise). She last pooped Sunday, so she's due for one. I'll massage her belly some when I get home from work, and also give a warm bath. sometimes that helps.

Hope tonight goes better for everyone!

#88 of 407 Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Well I got an answer today for why DD is waking up every 1.5-2.5 hrs throughout the night. Seems that when babies come in for surgery, they regress about two months from where they were developmentally before the surgery. So we're back to the four month sleep regression. eyesroll.gif Hopefully it passes soon!

akind1, Kool-Aid? Really? I guess she was excited that it was "healthy" because she used stevia? Good grief!

#89 of 407 Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 AM

Annie - hope the regression is better soon!

Last night was much better! DS actually laid down for me to change his diaper and let me strip him and brought me his pajamas! this is new territory and welcome! Lately we have been struggling with all of those things.

It's bittersweet when I put things on Norah that used to be Gabe's . . . especially since she is younger than he was when he fit in them! further reminder that my baby boy isn't a baby anymore.

I am looking forward to tomorrow and the weekend!

#90 of 407 Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

irked.gif I haven't gotten email notifications for like 5 days! I was 3 pages behind. I'd been wondering why everyone was so quiet but assumed we were keeping up on FB. I should have learned by now to check after a day of no emails from here. I think there are at least 2 other threads that I started that might have responses that I don't know about. Why does this happen so often on here?

Vacations: I think it would be fun if we could all get together. annie is out west and JJ is in Canada, so maybe somewhere a little northwest? Kat is the furthest south, right? And, I'm the furthest east for now, I think, but we'll be moving in about a year (very close to AnnieA, I think, by the way winky.gif).

Sean and I did an all-inclusive for our honeymoon, although it wasn't all at one place. We got a package that included dinners and activities already paid for at places all across the island, St. Croix. I did not like it. We never had a chance to just hang out, relaxed and chill. We felt like we had to run off and do something every day since we had already paid for it.

Grains: I'm considering holding off on grains because I'm seriously considering trying to get us all off grains, for the most part. I'm going to try very hard to stick with fruits and veggies for carbs for Dylan, in addition to the breastmilk, of course. I read some really freaky stuff about wheat a while ago and why it's so bad for us now, although it may have been ok when humans first started eating it.

Vaccines: If you're going to do them, I agree with annie. Based on the Mothering article I read using data from VAERS, I'd wait until at least 6 months before starting. Although, I read something else that compared infant mortality in the US with another country, Japan maybe, that doesn't start vaccines until 6 months. It showed the same spike in deaths for that country at 6 months that we have in this country at 3 months. So, I don't think it's so much the age as when and which vaccines are given.

Nora back to school: Personally, I'd wait until 4 days after the last of you to get is fully recovered. But, then, I'm a big proponent for quarantine when sick. When we're sick, I don't take anyone out anywhere unless absolutely necessary. For one, I think it's important to stay home and rest. Even if you are feeling better, you may not be 100% recovered and doing too much, too soon can cause you to get sick again or stay sick longer. Also, I don't want to spread the germs. It probably doesn't make a difference in the big scheme of things if we don't spread our germs but I try to do my part. winky.gif

And, I again agree with annie. Now that Nora is in school, you will be getting a lot more sicknesses every year, all the time. We started getting lots more colds and stomach bugs once Ethan's neighborhood friends started going to school. They bring it home and he plays with them and he gets it and spreads it to us.

I still have clothes from when Ryan was a baby that I put on Dylan. Every time I do, I say, "Ryan, look! You used to wear this," all choke up. Ryan rolls his eyes and says I've told him that a gazillion times already. lol.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page