February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 407 Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only had to use 1 frozen container today! I was able to keep up w/DD's demand! Small victories! Now if I can get through a day w/out using any or at least replacing eveything that was used while I was at work with what I pumped!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#122 of 407 Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

That's wonderful, Annie!

We had a much better night last night. Dylan still squirmed a little but it wasn't too bad. There was only one point when he seemed to be having a really hard time settling back down but it only lasted maybe half the time that it did the night before. I feel so much better today. Maybe it was the colic tablets. I gave him 2 every time he started stirring to nurse, every 2-4 hours.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#123 of 407 Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

it would be a lot cheaper to buy a bed frame, $50 I think, and set that up like that crib. i could either put the bed all the way up to the wall or put the bedrail on the side. i'm not worried about the ends.
I agree that babies are supposed to wake more when we are close to them. That's why I was wondering why he slept fine while I was sitting in the bed. He didn't stir at all when I got up to go to the bathroom and climbed back into bed. It was only after I tried to lay down and go to sleep with him that he started having problems.
It's the not settling and going fully back to sleep. All the squirming and kicking and sort of fussing keeps me awake. He's not fully awake, though, because his eyes are usually closed. 
that thread was kind of inconclusive. some said non-seedy poo was fine. others brought up the stuff about fat. i don't eat a low fat diet on purpose but i doubt i get enough, especially since i cut out cheese and butter. i can't eat avocado, allergic. I use coconut oil as much as I can but I don't do a lot of baking and not many meals I make call for much oil that is actually consumed. Food might be cooked in the oil but then it's drained off. KWIM? Oh, I do eat at least 2 eggs at least 4 days a week. I know my diet is horrible right now. Half the time I don't eat at all or just munch on a handful of whatever I can grab. greensad.gif
BTW, I'm still not getting email notifications. irked.gif

I'm in agreement with Carrie-- if something isn't working -now-, I'm starting to learn that it's better to fix it however you can as soon as you can. Have you tried local used sites for a bedframe? That sort of thing there's usually tons for cheap or free, around here at least. Then you could get it set up and see if it makes a difference. It not, you just sell it again. 

Could it be that when you're sitting up, the scent of the milk is further away from him, and he 'forgets', but when you lie down he basically gets a whif of it?

Tenley fusses like that and I find usually if I just put a hand firmly on her tummy and hold it there for a few minutes, she'll settle, as long as her eyes don't open. 

I read through that thread and I don't know either! lol Tenley almost never has seedy poops anymore, though she did when she was younger. I'm not worried about it until she starts seeming off in some other way. But her poops are still consistently the same color, she doesn't seem to have any trouble with them, and the gas doesn't normally bother her, or if it does, we can give her a small dose of gravol and within a few minutes she's fine. Listen to his cues though-- if you feel like he's uncomfortable, then I'd be more worried with that. A while back, i think it was FB, someone gave instructions for baby yoga for gas- have you tried that?

Still not getting notifications either. I gave up and bookmarked the thread. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I only had to use 1 frozen container today! I was able to keep up w/DD's demand! Small victories! Now if I can get through a day w/out using any or at least replacing eveything that was used while I was at work with what I pumped!

YAY!!! See! You can do it!

AFU: She's been doing better, countering several very good hours, with very off hours. Sometimes it feels like we have the jeckyl and hyde baby! She's been going down to bed easier at night, which is soooo nice. No more 2-3 hour long fights with her finally crying herself to sleep. She's still not napping well during the day, but I've decided to institute a 1pm naptime. It won't be 1pm every day, and I'm not going to 'force' her to sleep, but around 1pm is when I'm going to try my darndest to pull off at least a one hour nap. She's just sooo much happier after she's had a good nap, but so seldom does. So the past few days around that time I've been taking her into our room and cuddling, and walking and then finally laying down in bed with her. Frequently she still does cry in my arms for half hour, but she so badly needs the nap that I've got to keep it up. If she doesn't have one good nap, she's dissolving into shriekfits by dinnertime. And if I just wait and hope she'll fall asleep by herself, she never sleeps longer than 25-30 minutes. 

Family birthday party today. I'm excited both for the opportunity for others to be able to cuddle and hold her for a bit, and for something that will tire her out again so she can have a good sleep. She had a really good day after we met up with my cousin and her two girls, so I'm crossing my fingers for the same!

Day 4 of dairy free. Ugh. There's sooo many things that I keep thinking "oh, that's a good idea, I'll grab some of that.." and then realizing that there -is- dairy in it. Dinners are fine, there's lot of dairy free meal options we can make. But it's harder for the snacks and quick lunches category. I'm filling up on fruits and veggies right now, but there's only so long so you can eat the same things every day. I'm also trying to do lots of eggs, but I'm so used to putting cheese on them, that now they taste so bland!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#124 of 407 Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM

So glad D had a better night MW! Ava has been having some major sleep issues the past week or so. She fights it SO much. Friday night, I was at work and she woke up at 11:30 PM. I'm not sure what happened but I think DH brought her out in to the living room where there were lights on. All I know is that when I got home at 12:30 AM, they were out in the living room and she was awake. She stayed awake until 2:40 AM!!!!!! caffix.gif Every time I would try to lay down with her, she would start screaming or whining. UGH. Drove me crazy! I did get the kitchen cleaned and some clothes washed though! She wasn't unhappy just WIDE awake.

So I thought a lot about what I want to do if I can't keep up with DD's demand. I'm really having a physical reaction to giving her formula. Like it makes me sick at my stomach to think about doing that. I don't begrudge other people giving it to their kids but when I think about giving it to DD...no, I just can't go there. So yesterday I tried a couple of different times to try solids with her. She's just not interested. At all. She wants to play in the food but actually eating it? Nope. So I'm just going to work really hard at keeping my supply up. I still haven't decided if I want to try donor milk if needed. I need to think about that some more.

JJ, I saw that sale on the Flips. I didn't do anything with it because I don't really need more covers, I just need more inserts! I'm stalking CL to see if anyone posts any Flips. I look on DS sometimes but it always seems like things are so overpriced on there. And on ebay too. I get a much better deal when I can catch someone selling dipes on CL.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#125 of 407 Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM

we found the same. I wanted to replace our microfibre inserts with hemp/bamboo, but they're too expensive. We ended up ordering fabric, and we're going to make our own bamboo inserts. As long as all goes well it should be about $3 each. 

And massive hugs about having to try to make that decision. Whatever you do, it will be the right one for your family. I do have faith in you though. Don't lose faith in your body, this could just be a rough patch. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#126 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 AM

Annie - I would have the same gut reaction. I really think you can do this! Ava loves her mama milk and she will help you out.

As we draw closer to the 6 month mark (it's only 2 months away!) I am just more reluctant to start solids. I am just not looking forward to it, I guess. (why I don't know). I told DH I think we may do less purees with her. With DS we did them mostly because he really liked that texture. IDK, we still have time - though my mom is chomping at the bit - she really wants to start - I think because she can be more involved then? IDK.

I have got DH sooo on the babywearing bandwagon!! LOL he did wear DS sometimes, but it's always been mainly me. I think he's even going to try to WRAP! OMG I am so excited. (this is just a really weird thing to be excited about, but I AM!)

JJ: that sounds good. not enough people CD here for me to find much on CL. DS is my go-to. (there is a cloth diaper swap on FB too-  you should search it and and see if there is anything you would want)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#127 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 AM

Annie - Awesome news!!  I bet you're able to keep up.  I just have a feeling.  And if not...cross that bridge if it comes.  I hear you on the strong reaction to formula.  Sometimes things just feel wrong no matter how right it is in our minds.  

MW - I didn't think that the thread had an answer either way, just an idea about fats and that maybe it could be an issue.  Who knows?  I'd never heard of that before.

I hope D gets some relief and lets you sleep better soon.

Oh, and I wanted to ask -- do you ever have issues with Kellen or Ethan waking thru the night,with  night terrors, bad dreams, or growing pains?  Anyone with older kids have issues with this?

DS is sleeping well but DD is waking a lot lately.  I just let her come in my bed but I'm just getting worn out from her.  As much as I hate to admit that.  greensad.gif I feel like she's a ball of tantrums all day, and then goes to bed and wakes a lot during the night.  Then, she gets up early.  Maybe something developmentally is going on with her right now.  Idk.  She wears me out emotionally.  She isn't so demanding physically but at times I just wonder how the heck I'm supposed to deal with all the drama. 

JJ - I hope you figure out some things to eat.  Honestly, I don't miss dairy a bit.  I really don't think it's that hard -- there is so much ELSE to eat!  Let me know if you need more ideas.  Also let us know if you think it's helping!  It'll take 2-4 weeks for dairy to be out of your system so give it enough time before giving up.

Heading up to Whole Foods today to get all the stuff I need to make a vegan cheesecake for valentines day.  We don't have anything planned -- we might go out to dinner locally this weekend, but idk where.  Tomorrow is just going to be a normal day but maybe I'll make something special for dinner.  Nora requested the cheesecake!  LOL!

ETA - Kat, I was/am so reluctant to offer solids.  DS had his first tastes of banana and while I'm excited for him, I feel bad about it.  I can't put my finger on why...

I'm not going crazy with offering.  Only if we are eating and he isn't appeased with toys while we do so.  LOL.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#128 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

People love to feed babies. I'm sure you've all heard the argument against exclusive breastfeeding because it keeps dad from bonding with baby. I just realized why that argument makes me so angry. It makes it seem as if those of use who EBF are selfish and trying to put a wedge between our babies and their dads, which is the dumbest thing ever. Anyway, that's why Grandma wants to start the solids. Feeding someone is an almost surefire way of having a very strong connection with that person.

Annie ~ I sure hope you can keep up your supply and maybe supplement with solids enough that you won't need formula. How much does Ava have at one feeding and total for the day? I'm just curious.

It's getting to be time for me to start throwing out the little bit of breastmilk I have frozen. We're coming up on, if not already passed, the 6 month mark of the oldest I have. greensad.gif

Carrie ~ The only sleep troubles I've had with an older child is that Ryan wet the bed until he was 9 years old. (Don't tell him I told you that.) By the time he was that old, it was rare and only in conjunction with something that got him really upset, usually his dad saying he was going to call or come to see him and then not doing either. When we were putting the boys to bed in their room summer before last, so Ethan was 6.5 and Kellen was 3, Ethan would wake up in the middle of the night and climb into our bed. He did wake overly upset or scared or in pain, though. He'd be a little scared to realize we weren't with him but then he'd just come to our room and be fine. Kellen only woke a few times and cried for me but, again, settled back down once he was with me.

Someone else mentioned growing pains, Kat, I think. Ryan used to complain about growing pains but that wasn't until he was 10 or 13, I think. Oh, I remember when he was 8 I took him to doctors because he was having a lot of pain in his hips. The docs thought he might have had a bone disorder. He had a MRI done. It was pretty strange because I had never heard of the bone disorder and had just started dating Sean and he had had it as a kid. Anyway, turned out Ryan didn't have it. It was just growing pains in his hips. So, I would say that growing pains are real, but I don't know how you'd know that a younger, nonverbal child is having them and needs pain relief.

So, we ended up having a really good sleep night last night (after my nose stopped bleeding lol.gif Man, that was crazy!) We went to bed around 11. Kellen bothered us all a little but eventually crashed. Dylan was awake and squirmy but not fussy so we just laid there together for a while. I nursed him off and on to see if he was ready to fall asleep, which he did eventually after not too long. Then it was only dream feeds (I finally figured out what you all mean by that. That's when they stir only to nurse, staying pretty asleep the whole time and then are still and fast asleep once they've finished eating, right?) every 2-4 hours. I was up before everyone else this morning and feeling pretty good! So, either it was the cold bothering him and he's feeling a lot better now, although he still sounds congested and has a runny nose, or else it was gas or some other stomach problem and he really needed the Hyland's colic tablets.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#129 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Baby_Cakes, I've been meaning to ask you for a while. How do you guys do eating out and stay vegan? Like last week you said you guys ordered pizza. Did you get it w/out cheese or does the pizza places around you do vegan cheese? I watched Forks Over Knives last week on Netflix and definitely see the value in going off animal products but then how do you reconcile doing lots of processed substitutes? I was vegetarian for most of my life and ate tons of the fake meat stuff, like Morningstar and Boca, and that just doesn't seem much healthier to me. Not judgingyour choices, just trying to understand and come to a decision myself.

#130 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM

You guys, I've been in total freakout mode the past couple of days. So you know I've been stressing about my milk supply. And the other night, I remembered that my supply gets worse when I get AF. So I went on to FF to see what CD I was on and when I should expect AF. My cycles have been 24-25 days since I got AF back except for one cycle. When I looked the other night, I was on CD 25 and I wasn't spotting or anything. So then I'm stressing that I'm pg. DD would be 15 months old. Oh god, the thought made me sick. But I finally started spotting this morning. Woohoo!

#131 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 AM

Mw, her intake varies but it's generally about 3 oz every couple of hours. For instance today, she's had 1 oz at 2 am, 2 oz at 4 am, 4 oz from 7:30-8:30 am. Last night she drank 5 oz in about 20 mins. That's when I have to pull stuff out of the freezer when I'm with her because I usually only get 2-3 oz every 2 hrs. I thought BM could stay in the freezer for up to a year for healthy infants.

#132 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM

I agree with your point, MW, but for us, my MIL was always too afraid to feed DD solids, lol.  When we first started solids with her, she wanted nothing to do with it (and don't forget she watched her 3 days a week from 9-5).  Slowly she came around, and would give her what I brought.  But she was very afraid of Nora choking.  I do think it's different than spoon feeding though, so I can't say for sure how my own MIL would be if we did spoon feeding.

Annie - OMG close one!!  I'm glad AF started and you aren't pg right now!  

We don't eat a whole lot of fake stuff, I don't think.  It's easy to, of course, b/c there are so many analogues, but like you said, all that heavily processed stuff really isn't all that good for you.  We eat tofu probably 2-3 times a week, lentils or beans once or twice, lunches are usually hummus wraps with veggies.  We eat Boca burgers more in the summer when we grill.  But we also make potatoes and corn on the cob, etc, so I think it gets balanced out. I sometimes buy Smart Deli vegetarian slices for sandwiches, too.

Breakfast is oatmeal, dry cereal, toast, or something like that.  On weekends I sometimes make pancakes.

Tacos we make with lentils, no need for fake soy anything.

I make my own seitan from time to time.

We do sometimes have fake stuff, just not a whole lot.  DH goes to a place in chinatown in new york that makes these AMAZING soy based nuggets.  We eat them with hot sauce!  They taste like buffalo wings, lol!

As for eating out - we choose our places and honestly we do not eat out often.  Thai food and indian food we have local, which is so delicious and they always have vegetarian options.  Pizza I order with lots of veggies and no cheese.  Subs we just get veggie subs.  If we do go to like, Ruby Tuesday with the family, we get the salad bar or the veggie burger.  Something like that.

When we want to celebrate, we go to a vegan place.  Manhattan is a short train ride away and there are some amazing vegan places in NYC.  Amazing.  NJ unfortunately doesn't have a lot of vegan places, so we gladly for those!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#133 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ Haha! Freak out! TG AF showed !

I don't think it's that hard to go vegan or at least vegetarian and not eat a lot of processed stuff if yo can commit to cooking a lot (that's my problem). I have something like 22 weeks of vegetarian recipes and and the only ones that used anything processed are the ones that use tofu (if you consider tofu processed. shrug.gif), and there are only a few of those. Most of them do use cheese and/or milk and/or butter. I'm planning to sub the Daiya cheese, which is a processed food, I guess, but doesn't have a lot of nasty additives, coconut milk and oil or Earth Balance soy-free spread. you don't need to eat beans every tine for protein, either. i've got a recipe for spaghetti squash lasagne that has something likt 19 grams of protein and no beans or soy. it does have cheese so subbing the daiya will reduce that some. if you can get raw, organic cheese, though, that would be good. there's a farm near you that sells raw milk.

my problem now with these veggie meals is that the boys won't eat them. Ethan ate them when he was 3 but now he won't. And, since Ethan won't eat them, Kellen won't eat them. They end up having cereal for dinner. I made some really yummy slip pea soup last night that neither one of them liked. greensad.gif I need to find some kid-friendly vegan/vegetarian meals.

carrie ~ i'd bet with your MIL it was the solids rather than purees if she was afraid of choking. when and what did she feed her own kids? most people are so ingrained that babies can only eat pureed baby food that it freaks them out to think of feeding a baby anything else.

#134 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Annie - OMG - hope AF comes in full force soon!

No AF for me yet - it had returned by this point with DS, but he got more pumped milk than DD does, and she is fed more frequently too I think. so I don't know when she will make a comeback. I am in no rush either.

I know it's a bonding thing, but there is lots to do for bonding other than food.

Carrie, I would miss dairy. and I am not super fond of soy substitutes. Now, I do think I could go meat free. Maybe not fish-free (I love fish/seafood!)

But DH is definitely a carnivore.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#135 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM

I won't be out of total freakout mode until AF is here in full force. I know I would survive if I was pg but OMG...the thought gives me chills!

I guess I've watched too many food documentaries! For instance I look at real butter vs. Earth Balance. For avoiding animal products, Earth Balance is best. But for eating real, unprocessed food, real butter is the best. How do you decide if you don't have other reason for avoiding animal products? I need to read the Omnivore's Dilemma. I've seen interviews with Michael Pollen and he doesn't advocate a total vegan diet. But he does say that if you are going to eat meat/animal products, you should be an informed consumer. If you know how meat is processed and you are still o.k. eating it, then fine. He does advocate doing mostly meat-free meals.

DD and I are staying at my mom's until Sunday because DH had to go out of town for training. Packing up a baby is crappy! orngtongue.gif

#136 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Kat ~ I agree there are so many other ways to bond. But for some reason, people really latch onto feeding. shrug.gif

Annie ~ I forgot to answer you about how long to keep frozen milk. I am a bit confused by it. I think I read that if it's in a deep freezer that isn't opened often, you can keep it for up to a year. In a regular freezer that gets daily use, only 6 months. Another shrug.gif

With things like butter vs. margarine (which is what Earth Balance is), I would normally go with regular butter. I'm not really OK with how animal food products are produced but I also don't think it's healthy to never consume animal products, especially if they are replaced with processed foods. So, I try to find the best options but do have to make compromises because of availability and price. I try to buy organic animal products as mush as possible. I eat more chicken and fish than red meat and pork. For chicken, I buy the chicken that does not have added ingredients. I learn about what type of fish is better, farm-raised or fresh caught. It depends sometimes on the species. I'm more concerned with what's in and on the food I eat than how it's raised, though.

I probably wouldn't be trying to replace butter if I weren't trying to figure out Dylan's fussiness issues because I don't think margarine is healthy. That's why I'm trying to use coconut oil as much as possible in place of butter rather than any kind of margarine. You can use other vegetable oils, too. You just have to learn how much to sub. But then with vegetable oils, you have to be careful about GMO. For example, I've read many times that canola oil is the most healthy oil (besides olive) but then I read to stay away from it because it is a GMO.

Do you know anyone who hunts for food? Maybe you could get some meat and whatnot from them. Or, you could learn to hunt yourself. winky.gif I used to be very against guns and hunting but I am now wishing I had learned so I could get my own food.

Then Sean is on the whole Paleo kick, which makes me question whether we should be consuming grains and legumes. I do think Sean eats way too much meat. I should really read up on the Paleo thing and find out for myself how much meat it really says you should consume. I mean, Sean eats a ridiculous amount. I think it's more likely that cavemen ate a lot of fruits and vegetables and occasionally gorged themselves on meat when they killed something.

#137 of 407 Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM

I've had to throw away a couple of bottles because when I unfroze them, they smelled funny. But other than that, most of the milk from right after DD was born has been stored in a deep freezer that isn't opened often at her godmother's house. I just got the last bag from her last week. Most of what I have frozen at this point is from the last 4 weeks.

I forgot to respond about you moving to NoVA soon. That will be so awesome! I'm assuming you will be up near the base right? We get up there fairly often to either go to IKEA or my kids LOVE the USMC museum. We'll have to plan a get-together once you guys are settled in!

#138 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 AM

MW: I think a lot of men (my DH included) just love meat - DH gorged on it when he was doing Atkins. He probably would love Paleo. The women I know who do Paleo don't eat tons of meat. (well, one does eat probably more than average, but her nursling seems to be really intolerant of a lot of foods, so her options are even more limited)

With meat: I would love if we hunted, or raised our own (or bought from those that did) but fact is, we don't, and doing so is a little cost prohibitive. We do the best we can though.

I freeze the same day I pump; this tends to make the milk seem a lot fresher when thawed.

I do believe in using whole foods. We don't do low-fat anything. If we have to replace sugar, we'd rather use Stevia. MW: for baking you could also use applesause to replace oil. We avoid Canola oil, use olive, sunflower, regular vegetableoil or peanut, depending on what we are doing.

But that's just us :)

#139 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ Sean is hoping to go to Quantico. It won't be for at least another year, though, I think. That's about 2 hours from you so we can definitely get together.

Kat ~ Isn't funny how men seem to love meat so much more than women? Must have something to do with how we evolved with the men being hunters who needed more strength, muscles.

There's at least one place here where I could get a whole lamb but I just can't bring myself to eat that. I wouldn't even know what to do with the whole thing.

I don't use the vegetable or canola oil, really. I get it mostly for Ryan to do his deep frying. I saute in olive oil and have switched to using coconut oil for baking. I don't mind the mild coconut flavor.

Dylan has an awful cough. Every time he coughs he sounds like he's choking. Lots of mucous. I hope it's not something really bad.

#140 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM

poor baby! hope he feels better soon!

#141 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got an email notification! joy.gif Maybe because I sent a complaint using the support form. I hope it's fixed for good.

#142 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Maybe so! hooray!

oh, and obviously, it's on facebook - but DD is rolling - both ways! she rolled back to front, hung out on her tummy for a few minutes and rolled right back onto her back! and she did it again this morning, so it's not a fluke!

DS has been a wild child this morning. He finally crashed, now maybe I can get some work done! (if DD lets me!)

#143 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm getting notifications now too again. Finally!

I wanted to share this blog with you guys. It's still in it's beginning stages, but it's a very wonderful man from my local attachment minded families group. He is transgendered, in a gay relationship, and gave birth to a son last year, and is seeking to exclusively provide breastmilk for him through his own production and donations. It's an amazing story of dedication and love, and the struggles that he's facing being a breastfeeding man. It's been really eye opening for me, and helps you remember to be thankful for everything you have and every opportunity you are given. 

http://www.milkjunkies.net/

#144 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Wow, JJ, that's a great blog. Thanks for sharing! What amazing dedication to providing a baby w/mama milk!

Happy Valentine's Day lovely ladies! I hope you all have a fantastic day. I spent the day with my sweet little valentine and now I'm at work. Boo. Oh well. I'm looking forward to this weekend because my sister and her family will be visiting and we'll all be staying at my mom's house so that will be fun. Crazy and loud and disorganized but fun!

My mom is taking care of DD this week while DH is out of town for training and she is getting so flustered by the cloth diapers. I don't know why they are stressing her out so much. She's not had a problem with them before when she's watched DD for a couple of hours. Maybe it's the 9+ hours at a time being in charge of her that's stressing her out. She went out today and bought a pack of 7th gen dipes to use. eyesroll.gif She asked if it was o.k. and I said I didn't care but I'm not buying disposable dipes!

I went and bought alfalfa today. So I'm taking 12 pills/day of fenugreek and 12 pills/day of alfalfa. I've only done one dose like that but I think I got more milk out! I know my letdown seemed more forceful! If this doesn't work, then I will do the Mother's Milk tincture. It was pretty pricey at Whole Foods so trying to hold out on that.

#145 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Annie - hope it works! I know you can keep up with the demand!

you know, I thought we would have Gabe in sposies when we brought Norah home, but we never did take a break, I just taught MIL how to do cloth laundry. (well, I wrote out instructions). No one has ever been flustered by our cloth (we use pockets and AIO), except FIL sometimes puts them on backwards, but that happens in sposies too! LOL

I am addicted to selling things . . . and buying them! I have a SSC for DH on the  way (a nana's jetpack) and also a geckos wrap that is for when I want to wear DS, or when DH wants to wear Norah. He's considering learning to wrap!  I am so excited! silly me, I know.

Need more sleep! Dentist tomorrow - yay -

#146 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

That's an interesting blog, JJ. I only read a couple of posts. I can't believe someone would accost him on the airplane like that. I'm curious, though. If he can make milk, why does he need to supplement? Just the normal whatever happens sometimes so that one can't make enough milk or something more? I know you probably can't answer that.

My mom has a hard time with my cloth diapers, too. It really makes me laugh since she used cloth herself and encouraged me to do the same with Ryan. I think for her the problem might be that my cloth diapers are more like sposies, which she never used. She used prefolds so doesn't know how to put on a fitted diaper with snaps. lol.gif

Basketball is over! joy.gif I'm glad Ethan got to play and I think he enjoyed it some but I'm so glad it's over. No more running out 3 nights a week when Dylan is napping and/or we should be eating dinner. By the time the boys start something else, Sean should be home so I might not have to do anymore running around at night. Maybe I'll be able to stay home with Dylan and relax a little while he takes Ethand and Kellen around town.

Dylan took a late nap this afternoon and then tried to sleep in the car but it was never long enough. So, now he's been asleep since about 8:30. I am hoping he'll just keep sleeping but I doubt it based on his track record. I sent the boys upstairs for the rest of the night. I'm so burned out today. I just can't take their noise and everything anymore. I must have asked Kellen a gazillion times today if he had to poo and told him that I did not want to have to clean up before right before rushing out the door to basketball. So, what happened? I smelled poo as we were getting in the car! I had to leave him like that. I didn't have time to clean him up. He didn't even care. He has been doing so well, too. We've just been having a crazy, bad day.

#147 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 PM

DD is giving my mom a run for her money. My mom texted me earlier tonight that I needed to call because DD had thrown up twice. Oh my. She does that sometimes. Doesn't mean she's sick, she just vomits like a sorority chick...hahaha! But my mom is convinced she's having reflux issues. Ummm, no. She's been off  the zantac for almost a month. She's fine. My mom is just not used to dealing with a high needs baby for so many hours at a time. I texted DH and said that the next work trip, DD and I are going with him. lol.gif

MW, totally know how you feel about activities. It's always great to give the kids the opportunity but man is it a pain in the butt to get out to them all the time!

akind1, I get like that when I start selling a lot of stuff on ebay. I want to sell more!

#148 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Just a thought because nearly all of us are on FB anyway, but my DDC created a FB group. Would that be a good idea for us? Not that I want to abandon MDC, but it kind of consolidates things. Again, just a thought.

Man I am tired. DS has been non stop all day and DD only wants to sleep ON ME. No one else. Oi. And she fights sleep too. I hope this isn't that 4 month sleep regression stuff.

#149 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Just a thought because nearly all of us are on FB anyway, but my DDC created a FB group. Would that be a good idea for us? Not that I want to abandon MDC, but it kind of consolidates things. Again, just a thought.

I'd like to stay with MDC. I find it hard to follow posts on FB groups. I get notices of new posts on them but there's no way to go to just those new posts, unless I'm missing something. Plus, it's not conducive to writing longer posts. It's more for short things.

Kat ~ I hope this sleep regression or whatever it is short lived.

And, yes, I'm still up at almost 1 am. Dylan is finally asleep.

We watched the new American Supernanny tonight for the first time. Now Ethan has a business plan for helping other families with out of control children. He says he has lots of experience because of Kellen. lol.gif

Back to the butter vs. margarine question. I looked over the Earth Balance ingredients and I'm not sure it's equal to margarine. The way I understand it, the problem with margarine is hydrogenated oils that produce trans-fats. No hydrogenated oils means no (unnatural) trans-fats. Earth Balance label says no trans-fats. I know that labels can claim that even if they do contain trans-fats as long as it's below the FDA's percentage or level of them. But the Earth Balance list of ingredients does not contain hydrogenated oils. It's a blend of oils. Maybe the blend produces a solid product without hydrogenation.

Sean says when he gets home he can take Dylan in the night if he won't settle. I appreciate his offer but I don't think it's a good idea. I don't want him to get up with Dylan and have Dylan think it's time to get up. KWIM? Sean said that he would then just switch places with me, laying next to Dylan away from me. I can try that but I really don't see it working because Dylan wants to nurse during that time. I'm all for Dad comforting the baby as much as possible but not keeping baby from mom when he needs milk. Another KWIM?

#150 of 407 Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM

Yeah, you had me wondering about the margarine/ earth balance thing. I swear the margarine we usually buy, which is a very basic no name type, says right on it 100% non-hydrogenated canola oil. But of course, the last two shopping trips we've gone on, they haven't had it, so we've been buying parkay-- which obviously does have 'extras' in it. I prefer to use butter usually, we just have such a hard time with it, because it needs to sit on the counter so it's spreadable, but we don't go through it fast enough for it to stay 'safe' on the counter. The smart thing would be to take a pound and cut it into four or something so that we could take out pieces at a time, but we never think of that. All a moot point right now though, since I'm on margarine for the time being. 

MW-- I get what you mean. I have that problem with DH, where I want him to take her so i can have time to myself, a breather, or to get stuff done, but at the same time, if I hand her to him and ask him to put her to sleep, she usually comes back to me 20 minutes later, and she's even more hyped up than before. And even though I've tried to talk him through what she needs me to do to go to sleep, he still does his own thing. It's nice for the DH's to try to help out, but not if it's on their terms and not the baby's. 

Kat-- I'm with you. I think I'm going to go crazy. DD has ALWAYS had horrible 'naps', but since about 3 weeks or so (or maybe I'm kidding myself, but it's been awhile) she has typically had really good nights. She goes down around midnight, and sleeps 3-4 hour stretches until 10am. The last little bit, we've noticed that she'll do one good long stretch until about 4am, and then she's up again at about 530 or 6... and then she's up every hour. And then this past week, she got even worse, and not only is she wanting to be up and feeding every hour (even though her tummy is full and she promptly pukes it back up), but we're having a heck of a time getting her down for good out of our arms. She's falling asleep fast (for awhile we were having hours long shriekfests until she exhausted herself), but no matter how long I wait, or how headweight she appears to be, when I try to put her down into her bassinet or into our bed even, she's awake and screaming within 5 minutes. It would be one thing if we could put her in bed beside us, but that's not good enough, she wants to be ON me, while she's sleeping again. She hasn't done this since the early days. *sobs* I'm so tired! I don't sleep properly when she's on me because I never really fall into a good deep sleep, and I'm uncomfortable, so I wake up sore in the morning. Add that to her waking up every 90 minutes, and I wake up feeling like a truck hit me. 

She had SUCH an amazing day today, and then fell apart at like 9pm, and it's been trying since then. She was tired, hadn't really napped since early afternoon, so I started trying to put her down at that point- 9pm. Well it's now just after 1am, and she hasn't sleep more than 15 minutes at a time, and twice has woken up shrieking when I tried to put her down into her bassinet so I could go pee and wash my wash before bed. 

So... now I'm back on the couch with her on my lap sleeping, and I guess I'm catching up on the internet! lol. I know it's very likely just a phase, as she's been eating non stop lately too, but my gosh I'm ready for it to be over with! My saving grace this whole time with her high needs has been that at least she sleeps well at night, so I can recharge in between. And now I'm not getting that either :( Grrrr. 

Re: Diapers- the only person that's had to deal with them was my mom, and she didn't blink an eye, which was so great. We have pockets, and prestuff them, so they're very easy to use, granted, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that she even did them up on the right snaps! lol Honestly, I think she was probably nervous and didn't want to get it wrong, so she counted which ones they were snapped to on the old diaper.  I did get a laugh at the doctors though, she unsnapped the dipe, did her checks, and then resnapped it... but like, fall off loose. The diaper has four settings for snaps, and fits 6-18lbs. We're on the tightest setting still, and DD is 11lbs. The doctor put it on the second from loosest setting. I was trying to figure out a polite way to fix it, without seeming rude, thankfully she left the room soon after. 

I've been very lucky, because not only has Rob stepped up and does half the diaper laundry, never complaining (he actually did all of it for almost the whole first month), but he actually requested for me to leave the stuffing to him, because he says he enjoys it. And every so often, I'll find him on his computer looking up new colors or prints that he's interested in. It's very cute. 

Oh, and about the dad-- my understanding is that he does produce some, but not enough for all their son's needs, so he uses an SNS as well. I don't know if it's related to the hormones, or the breast surgery, or a combination of things or what. 

So I'm doing "ok" with the no dairy thing, except I miss my cereal (I tried it with soy milk this morning, but I just can't do it, it made me gag), and I am SOOOOOO craving chocolate. If I end up having to stick with this, then we're going to have to go get some of the high quality chocolate that has no dairy in it or I'm going to go crazy.   I also need to try some other milks. I was hoping that I'd be more accepting of the soy in things (I've only tried to drink it straight before), but it's not working. I can't get over the taste. And I don't drink milk, but I wanted it for cereal, and ocassionally for like scrambled eggs and stuff like that. 

Alright, my head is starting to dip, so off for another try to get into bed. Wish me luck... 

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page