February 2012 Whatever Ladies and Babies - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aw, Kat!  That was my day the other day.  Nora and I had a huge fight, and everything all day made me cry and be upset.  The only thing that got me out of my funk was wine.  So...here.

 

champagne.gif

 

 

You mean like eating roadkill??  Oh no no no. 

I guess I don't see the need for me to eat any animal.  I can see the want (when it tastes good, or b/c it brings family together ala thanksgiving meals, etc) but I dont see those wants as being enough to make up a need.

I grew up eating meat so I'm not exactly a purist in this, I grew up on McDonalds and Burger King and fried chicken.  My dad is from the south!  BBQ was HUGE!!  But...I learned about how the animals in the industry were treated and really changed my mind.

 

I really don't know what humans are "meant" to eat.  The argument can be fought on both sides, convincingly.  I mean, obv our ancestors figured out eating animals packs a huge punch of energy w/o as much bulk, and used that to their advantage.  But in our society, we don't need that much energy.  We aren't traveling great distances on foot for example.  Our technology has made it so we can live and get plenty of energy from plant sources.

 

But on the other hand, I know that b/c we as humans began eating meat, our brains developed in a certain way and our bodies were able to do different things.  We didn't spend as much time eating, and were able to develop tools, written language, etc.  

 

So, yeah.  Idk.  I just know I personally feel wrong taking part in what has become of the factory farming of animals.

 

 

Editing to add this link: 

 

http://www.consumercide.com/js/index.php/food-supply/39-necessarily-vegetarian/379-how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-meat-eater

 

I was shocked at a bunch of those claims, especially the pesticides found in breastmilk.

 


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#182 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

O/T - what sippy cup do you guys recommend?  I know it's a personal choice using them or not, straw vs spout.  I'm thinking of getting Finn one of these and some Avent spouts and handles.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kanteen-Sippy-Adapter-Cap/dp/B0010XEMRI/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1329424673&sr=1-6

 

He's doing great-ish with the plastic cup but I think something like that would have better longevity.  Plus it's steel which I like better than plastic anyway.  And you can add the Avent handles.  And switch it to a sport cap when they get older.  Thoughts?


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#183 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The blog that JJ posted the other day has me thinking. I think I'm going to purchase the Medela SNS and try to get DD to feed at least some of her feeds that way. I bet that would increase my milk supply the best way, huh? Only problem I can think of is that she LOVES her bottle and recognizes it immediately. But maybe if I talk her through it? Offer when she isn't starving?

 

Oh and BTW, JJ, your DD is just gorgeous! I have always dreamed of a dark-haired baby girl w/blue eyes. Don't get me wrong, my entire being is in love with Ava but when I pictured having a baby, I always pictured a dark-haired little girl. DD's red hair really threw me through a loop!


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
#184 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kat ~ I hope you are feeling better tonight.

Annie ~ How late do you work? I saw the headline of an article about how babies can understand what we say at 6 months so talking to Ava about nursing might work. I hope it helps.

Carrie ~ I think that sippy cup looks cool. I use sippy cups because I don't like cleaning up messes. I thought that a cup with handles would be easier for a baby to use but I've found they do better just grasping the cup.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#185 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work Sun 1-9 PM, Mon 2-10:30 PM and Tues-Thurs 4-Midnight. I live 30 mins from my job so most nights I don't get in bed before 1 AM. The nights I don't work or I get home earlier, I still end up staying up until at least midnight because I do one last pumping session before bed around midnight.

 

DD does really well when I explain what's about to happen to her. That's one of the reasons why I kept kicking the nurses out of her room for meds, etc because they would just do something to her and not talk to her about it before they did it. She would freak out. But if I talk to her and explain what I'm doing, she doesn't get as upset as she would otherwise. I'm hopeful that if I explain to her that she is getting mama milk through this new way she will understand and be ok with it. She watches me while I pump and I talk to her about how I'm making milk for her. She laughs whenever I take out my boob to pump. Hahaha!


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
#186 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gabe likes any sippy cup with a silicone spout/straw. He just can't figure out the hard plastic kind.

He also can and does use an open cup really well.

Tonight is already better because he fell asleep in my lap, and it's not even 8:30!

I think we could argue round the veggie carnivore thing for ages. I struggle just to eat kind of healthy without throwing more stuff in the mix.

Think the SNS is a great idea!

Need to charge my phone greensad.gif

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
#187 of 407 Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

What do you want to use it for? Are you just talking about having something to spread on toast and would use other vegetable oils for cooking? If that's the case, use something like hummus or an organic nut butter. You'd even get a little additional protein that way. If you are wanting something to use for cooking, you can sub liquid veggie oils for butters. 

It's mostly for in foods. We've got olive oil mayo to use for sandwiches, etc. But when I'm making things, or say... topping for popcorn, I need a substitute. Next shopping trip I'm going to pick up rice milk and coconut oil and start there. And also try to find my old margarine as well, which near as I can tell, is just solidified canola oil basically. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I'm not against homeschooling...but I'm not a teacher.  I have no idea how to teach children so they'll understand, and I get impatient and frustrated so easily.  

Me too. I support people who want to homeschool, but I don't think I could do it. I believe that learning should begin at home, but I don't think I have the right personality to be solely responsible for my children's education. I'm a keener, a perfectionist, and was also ahead of the curve in school, and I find I get aggrevated too easily when someone else isn't getting it. I grew up with a father who had that mentality when trying to help me with homework, and it always ended up in shrieking fits and tears. I don't want to do that to my children. 


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

D.Y.I.N.G. caffix.gif I don't know how I'm going to make it through work tonight. I got in to bed at 12:45 AM. DD woke at 2:20 and didn't go back to sleep until 5 AM. Then she was awake at 7 AM. And I already had two doctor appts scheduled for this morning so I couldn't nap when she napped. sleepytime.gif 

Ugh! That's worse than Ten has been lately! Hopefully it goes better tonight and you can catch up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

O/T - what sippy cup do you guys recommend?  I know it's a personal choice using them or not, straw vs spout.  I'm thinking of getting Finn one of these and some Avent spouts and handles.

I'm having to rethink all my preferences for sippys, because the ones I like (the basic playtex with the hard spout) have now been declared 'bad'. I'll have to figure out what we want to use in the next few months I suppose. I lean away from straws just because I always feel like they never get clean-- but they seem to be the best developmentally I've been reading. 


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

The blog that JJ posted the other day has me thinking. I think I'm going to purchase the Medela SNS and try to get DD to feed at least some of her feeds that way. I bet that would increase my milk supply the best way, huh? Only problem I can think of is that she LOVES her bottle and recognizes it immediately. But maybe if I talk her through it? Offer when she isn't starving?

 

Oh and BTW, JJ, your DD is just gorgeous! I have always dreamed of a dark-haired baby girl w/blue eyes. Don't get me wrong, my entire being is in love with Ava but when I pictured having a baby, I always pictured a dark-haired little girl. DD's red hair really threw me through a loop!

I would try offering when she's sleepy or cuddly, but not necessarily very hungry like you said. And yes yes yes on the talking. Babies are smarter than people give them credit for. 

 

Isn't she? *beams* It's funny, because talking about our future family, DH and I have always talked about having a dark haired blue eyed girl, and I see a lilght brown, brown eyed boy. It's what I've always hoped for- my eyes and DH's dark dark hair, and I always tried not to get my hopes up. But then they passed her to me in the hospital, and it was like "oh hi, you're back", like I wasn't surprised at all, she was just mine, and I recognized her exactly. Her hair is lightening, which makes me sad- I wanted it to stay nice and dark. But my gosh, when she smiles... yeah, my heart just melts. I know it's totally a mama thing, but I can't imagine a cuter baby! lol\

 

It's been a rough kind of week, last night was... bad. I won't even go there because I'm not ready to talk about it. But tomorrow we're going to a babywearing meeting, and then a playgroup, so hopefully it'll excite her enough that she'll crash when we get home. Fingers crossed!

 

I'm starving, btw. I can't seem to keep full, no matter how much I'm eating. 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
#188 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

JJ: I am the same way - always hungry! it's hard, because I am also not into what MIL keeps around for snacks (potato chips, popcorn) Really I am not a snacker. need to work on that though.

 

I was hoping DD's eyes would be green, but I think they will be the same blue as her brother's.

 

Do you ever get comments like, "she looks just like you!" and it not be true at all? DD is DH exactly, except she has my mom's nose and my dad's ears. DS is a more even mix of us, though the older he gets, the more he looks like me/my side of the family. I don't know how to respond, other than, "do you think so?" and "thanks"

 

I love babywearing meetings!

 

It has been a rough week. Praying the weekend is better.


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
#189 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JJ ~ That solidified oil for margarine is the hydrogenated trans-fats that are supposed to be very bad for you. Is Earth Balance or Smart Balance (the not organic product but still not hydrogenated) available to you? Didn't someone here say you can use applesauce in place of oil or butter for baking, too? Someone told me that.

Kat ~ I get that a lot with Dylan and I don't see it. It's mainly from people who don't know Sean, though. Anyone who knows Sean can easily see that he looks more like him. I guess Kellen looks more like me because he doesn't look as much like Sean, Ethan or Dylan, but I don't see that, either.

My day is a little messed up. I was planning to do a big grocery shopping trip this afternoon after Dylan's first nap but I don't think that is going to happen now. I thought last night was going to be horrible. Dylan fell asleep at 10:30! and slept pretty well. He was a little fussy and squirmy at times but didn't keep it for hours like before. I could not sleep, though. I laid awake in bed until at least 2 am. Ugh! But, we slept until almost 10 am so I did get enough sleep. Problem now is that Dylan won't take his first nap until probably 1 or so, which means he won't get up until after 3. I don't know if I want to go to the commissary at that time because we'd be leaving when everyone is getting off work and get stuck in the traffic.

Annie ~ I know what you mean about focusing so much on a kid being smart that they become afraid to try something because they may not do it "right" and then look stupid. I feel that way, myself, a lot. I was told I was smart all the time. I come from a smart family. I'm afraid to try things that might make me look stupid.

I try not to use labels with my kids. Instead, I try to focus on what they do. Like when Ethan figures out a puzzle, I don't say, "You are so smart!" I say, "Hey, wow! You figured that out all your own." I don't know if any of that makes any difference, though. Ethan still asks me if he's smart and Kellen asks me a lot if whatever he did was nice.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#190 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our night was much better - Gabe did wake up at 5, but he took an early nap from 7 to 9.  Since he fell asleep by 8:30 last night, I guess an early morning is a no-brainer.

 

I try! but so many "labels" are just adjectives and how can you never use those with them?I do try to say "good job" vs "good boy!" but since not everyone he's around does the same, it's hard to maintain that consistency.

 

I am still tired. ugh. but maybe I just need to up my caffeine intake?


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
#191 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kat ~ The idea behind not using labels is that they aren't just adjectives. They are judgements. So, when you say, "Good job," the implication is he could have done a bad job. Then he might decide that he should only do things that he can do well enough for someone else rather than understanding that doing his best is enough. It also teaches children to look for and do things for praise or acceptance or payment rather than because they want to or it's the right thing to do. You can stop using labels or judgements by simply acknowledging what the child did. When Kellen uses the toilet, rather than saying, "Good job," I say something like, "You did it all by yourself." When he asks if it was nice for me that he used the toilet, I tell him that I appreciate that he did that so I didn't have to clean up his poopy pants. Alfie Kohn's book, Punished by Rewards (I think) , is a good one to learn about that sort of thing.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#192 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM
 
akind1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You make good points - however - unless you are the only one to talk to your kids  - that labeling is kind of unavoidable. as parents we can lessen it, but not eliminate it.  I am not arguing that we *should* use labels, only that sometimes it seems to be inevitable. I know the book Carrie recommend me has a part in it that talks about behaviour as "red light"  "yellow light" and "green light" behaviour. I like that it doesn't necesarrily call it "bad"  or "good" but does categorize it.


Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

akind1 is offline  
#193 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah - usually with the potty I thank her!  I'm usually like thank you SO much for using the potty, or something like that.

MW - what are your thoughts on Big Girl or Big Boy?  As in, "Wow, you did it all by yourself, such a big girl!"  We have a lot of that going on now b/c she compares herself to the baby, in a positive way.

I just hate when she flips it around and "acts like a baby" on purpose.  But that's just b/c it annoys me and makes my job harder, lol!  I don't know if it puts good or bad connotations on either.

 

Finn threw a huge hissy fit today b/c I was eating an apple in front of him.  I put the apple down and tried playing with him and distracting him with toys, but he wanted nothing of it.  Finally I just handed it to him and he smiled and worked on it for awhile!!!  I cut a piece off and peeled it and sat him in his chair and he kept going.  This boy!!! I cannot get over how INTO solid food he is.

 

The roasted carrots he had the other night didn't agree with him.  Such bad gas and smelly farts -- and he hasn't had a good poop diaper since he had them.  Just bits of carrot here and there.  That's why I'm glad I wait between foods, so I know which one is a problem.  I wanted to wait until he had a good poop before giving him anything else, and we made it until the apple incident this afternoon.  I think he mostly just got juice.  I don't see any bites taken out.


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#194 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I know the kids are going to here those judgement statements from others but it's less important than coming from parents. I don't have to worry about it from school but the boys hear it in their sports. Sean even does it. I've been working with it on him and he's coming around but it's 2nd nature to him. I don't think he even realizes when he says it.

I don't really say big boy, either. The term is so subjective. And, of course, the flip side is acting like a baby, which becomes a negative thing. If you read the Alfie Kohn books, he explains why those add ons are not necessary and can be damaging instead.

dylan always has stinky farts. lol.gif i got a pack of sposies today jic we get really sick and i can't do laundry. i'm still having stomach cramps and no appetite. It's been about a week now. but nothing worse. ryan said a lot of people at his work have had it bad. i hope he doesn't get it too bad. he's been having stomach cramps, too.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#195 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

JJ: I am the same way - always hungry! it's hard, because I am also not into what MIL keeps around for snacks (potato chips, popcorn) Really I am not a snacker. need to work on that though.

 

I was hoping DD's eyes would be green, but I think they will be the same blue as her brother's.

 

Do you ever get comments like, "she looks just like you!" and it not be true at all? DD is DH exactly, except she has my mom's nose and my dad's ears. DS is a more even mix of us, though the older he gets, the more he looks like me/my side of the family. I don't know how to respond, other than, "do you think so?" and "thanks"

 

I love babywearing meetings!

I know! I've been trying so hard not to let this slip me into unhealthy eating... even so, I grabbed a bag of chips last night, and then halfway through my binge I jokingly said "I bet these have dairy in them too!" and checked the label. Oh yup, lactose in the ingredient list. -sigh-. And I normally do air popped popcorn, but right now I don't have any margarine to put on it, and I can't eat dry popcorn. 

 

It's funny, I was so happy she had blue eyes (so far) and my SIL made a big deal out of it being such a disappointment, because she was really hoping at least one of the grandkids would have her father's eyes (dark brown). 

 

We've had some funny comparisons. I think she looks so much like Rob as a baby, and even now, she's got a lot of his features... and I've had people tell me no, they don't see any of him in her. I'm like what? Have you seen either of them? I don't see myself in her now, but my baby pictures do show a resemblance to her. 

 

The meeting and playgroup were so much fun! She had a ton of fun watching everyone, and I'm hoping now she'll sleep almost until we have to go get DH (which gives me 2.5 hours). In theory, she should be worn out enough. She woke up at 930 and we left the house immediately afterwards, and it's 430 now (she just fell asleep) and other than 10 minutes ni the car x 3, she hasn't slept all day. We also borrowed a mei tai, and I am so sold. I just need to pick a print now! But it's so much easier, because I only have to put her down for a second while I tie the bottom and then I can pick her up again,m so she doesn't get worked up before I can get her in it, like with the wrap. I haven't tried a back carry yet, but I will once DH gets home. 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

JJ ~ That solidified oil for margarine is the hydrogenated trans-fats that are supposed to be very bad for you. Is Earth Balance or Smart Balance (the not organic product but still not hydrogenated) available to you? Didn't someone here say you can use applesauce in place of oil or butter for baking, too? Someone told me that.

The stuff we usually buy, specifically says it's 100% non-hydrogenated oil on it. They just haven't had it the last two times we've been out of margarine. :(  And yes I've heard that for applesauce. I'll have to try it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Yeah - usually with the potty I thank her!  I'm usually like thank you SO much for using the potty, or something like that.

I use thank you a lot-- Thank you for being so calm for mommy, you're such a big help. Thank you for being so patient! etc etc 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
#196 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, that's good, JJ. I was going to say that a lot of labels in the US get away with saying that there are 0 trans fats in them because there is less than the FDA required reporting amount, but if you read the ingredients, hydrogenated oils are clearly listed. If it says no hydrogenated oils, though, that's different.

I thought all caucasian babies were born with blue eyes. All of mine were. Ryan's changed to hazel like mine. Ethan's are still very bright blue like his dad's. Kellen's were blue but more grayish at birth. Now they look more greenish to me but still kind of blue. Dylan's are still bright blue so we shall see. Everyone else on both sides of my family except one aunt and one uncle have brown eyes and the same in Sean's family. I read that it can take up to 3 years for a child's eyes to completely change color, if they are going to.

I think Sean has used applesauce for baking before. I can't remember what it was but I don't think it was bad. I'd probably remember if it was really bad. lol.gif

Dylan is finally asleep again. He only slept for about an hour earlier today (but did fall asleep at 1 just like I predicted winky.gif). We ran to the post office and the grocery store after he woke up. This is the perfect time for his 2nd daily nap, as long as it lasts a couple of hours. He'll be up around 7-7:30 and then be ready to go back to sleep by 10:30, I bet.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#197 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay for good naps! 

 

Tenley slept off and on for the last 2.5 hours, probably closer to an hour 45 minutes total. Now I have to wake her up in a few minutes so I can go pick up Rob :( I'm hoping she'll fall asleep in the car again. 

 

Yeah, I just specifically remember the label for the margarine because a few times ago I had to sheepishly ask DH "that's a good thing, right?" because it's a super cheap maragarine, and I was surprised that it would be healthy. Come to think of it, I don't think it's even labelled margarine at all. It's probably moreso the non-animal product equivelent of lard, as in there's really not any flavoring or extras in it that I notice. 

 

I think something like 80% of babies are born with blue, but there are some that are born with brown. They say usually by 6 months they're 'set', although obviously that's not always the case. We thought hers were going to turn for sure, but so far they're still pretty blue, so we'll see. 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
#198 of 407 Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dylan is still asleep. I wonder if I should wake him. But, I'm enjoying the knitting time.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#199 of 407 Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been waiting all morning for Dylan to take his nap so I come here and post. We had the strangest night last night. He was fidgety and squirmy but never fussy. Every couple of hours I would try to get him to nurse but he wouldn't. I'm not sure that he actually nursed at all last night. He'd just latch on for a couple of seconds and then pop off and roll over. He'd settle and fall asleep for a few minutes (maybe it was 2 hours but it felt like only a few moments) and then start squirming again. At least I was able to sleep, too. If I think about it, it seems I shouldn't have gotten any sleep but I feel pretty good this morning, not overly tired. It was just so strange that he never really ate. shrug.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#200 of 407 Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's a cool unschooling blog. http://learninghappens.wordpress.com/

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#201 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 AM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think all caucasian babies are born with blue eyes.

Nora's were bright blue but now they are green.

Finnley's were dark blue, and they are like a dark grayish brown now at 6 mo.  

 

No real sleep issues to complain about for the past few nights.  Feels good to say that!!

 

I do have some nagging feelings about DH sleeping in another room, but I know if our sex life were ok I wouldn't have those feelings.  

 

I think I have thrush.  I've been battling a YI for weeks now.  I used an OTC 3 day treatment and it didn't help.  And now my nips are feeling like they're affected.  No pain or cracking, but it's so uncomfortable to nurse.  It's slightly burning.  I have finally admitted defeat that I need some help and I'm going to go to the OB that was my MWs backup.  I know I need a round of diflucan.  I also want to talk about these prolapse issues, b/c despite kegels and mayan massage, I'm still kind of uncomfortable.

I also want to discuss birth control.

I really, really don't want to go on the pill, but I don't see any other option.  I don't have to start it now, obv, b/c I'm not having a cycle.  I might just get a script and when things kick back in, fill it.

Sigh.

 

I'm sure you saw the few pics I posted, Finn tried oatmeal last night.  We sat down with tacos and he threw a fit.  He watched me take a bite and even mimicked chewing, and then wailed.  He lunged for my plate.  I was tempted to just give him lentils...but I know he's not ready for those yet.  Still too much of a choking hazard.  So quickly I mixed up some oatmeal and then mixed in some breastmilk.  He was so happy!!!  He polished off quite a bit.  Maybe a TB or so.  Made SUCH a mess!!  It was awesome.

 

Chris and I have a date planned tonight!  Grandma and Uncle Ryan are going to come over and watch the kids while we go out for dinner at around 4, 430.  We should be gone about an hour.  I'm excited!!  I pumped yesterday and today so I have about 10 oz of milk for Finn, which I'm sure he won't even want or need.  I'm so excited!  Yay, a date for the first time in 6 months!!

 

 


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#202 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A date sounds nice.

One thing that's good about Sean being deployed when I have a baby is that I don't have to worry about his feelings amidst taking care of everyone and everything else. He sent me an email yesterday just to say that he loved me and added that he must be excited about coming home soon. The implication was that that was why he sent an email for no reason. It was nice and I get the gesture but it kind of made me mad. He couldn't be bothered to even answer emails I sent him about important things I needed answers to but now that he wants something (to be home) he can send me an email for no reason?! irked.gif I tried not to say anything to him but I couldn't help it. I finally sent him an email pointing out what I just wrote. He has a habit of doing that, not thinking of me (us) when he's working.

Dylan still isn't really eating anything. I keep giving him banana slices but he just tries to pick them up and drops them all over his wool pants. eyesroll.gif I gave him a taste of the spaghetti squash I made last night and he didn't just gag, he literally threw it up! He never throws up so he must have not liked it. lol.gif

Why would the lentils be a choking hazard if they are cooked? Aren't they really small and very soft? Seems to me they'd be about the same as oatmeal. I'd be afraid to give Dylan lentils because of his gas problems.

He did surprise me last night with his sleeping, too. He only nursed once from about midnight to 7:30. I was so excited about that until I realized that was only 7 hours, with a break in between, which means he probably slept for only 3.5-4 hours straight. Don't get me wrong. That's great, much better than waking me every 1-2 hours, but it's not as long as I thought at first.

I'm afraid he has another ear infection from this latest cold. When he nurses, he prefers my right side now (the opposite of what he used to prefer) and does not want to lay on his right side. I've made some olive oil and garlic ear drops but now I'm kind of nervous about using them. How do I make sure it's safe? What kind of container do I keep it in? Do I need to refrigerate it?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#203 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carrie ~ If you don't mind my asking, how much do you spend on disposable diapers for a week? How many do you use a day?

The reason I ask is because I've been feeling guilty about having to buy more cloth diapers to replace the ones I bought just a few months ago that disintegrated. One of the reasons for me using CDs is to save money compared to sposies. I paid $10 for that pack of sposies I bought the other day for in case we all got sick and I couldn't deal with the cloth. It has 26 diapers in it, which would last about 3-4 days if I used them all the time, right? 6-8 diapers a day. That would add up to at least $900 a year, based on my calculations. So, even if I spend another $500 on CDs now, I will have saved us about $1300 (I think).

Does that sound about right, Carrie? Do you use that many diapers?

I'm trying to justify and feel better about buying more cloth diapers. redface.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#204 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm. Size 4 diapers, you get 200 in a box, and with a coupon its $34. I use prob 6 a day. The box will prob last a, month or so, considering I use cds a well.

Without the coupon, its cheaper to buy them on Amazon.

The lentils were a bit toothsome and were taco seasoned. I just didn't think it was a good idea. If they were more soft I might not have thought twice, but cooked up in taco shells they aren't as soft as you would find in say, lentil soup.

I'm sorry nobody in your house likes your spaghetti squash!! Lol!!



Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#205 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, that's way less than what I paid but I just got the smallest bag I could find since I don't plan on using them. And, I bought the organic ones, which cost more than regular Huggies. They are size 3 but I think they adjust the amount or the price depending on the size so it all comes out to be about the same price overall. Still, if I spent $400 a year on sposies for 2 years, I'd still save money spending $500 on cloth. Dylan is in medium size cloth now or I get OS dipes and both of those should last the rest of his diapering time. I never had to use large with Ethan or Kellen. Plus, I don't think I'll need to buy that much. I need maybe a half dozen more. Even at $25 a diaper, which they don't cost, I'd only spend about $150.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#206 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 AM
 
onetwoten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did that the other day with new nursing bras I bought. I'm a total cheapo, and usually find nice bras on sale, but at that point I only owned two sleep bras that I use for nursing (but won't wear out of the house) and one cheap nursing bra. We were going out for the day, and T exorcist vomited all over my 'nice bra'. There was no saving it for me to wear out, so I decided enough was enough and needed to buy more nice, comfortable bras that make me feel good. I managed to find  a good molded cup bra that they didn't use to sell, but I had to -force- myself to buy it- they're are $45 each, and I bought two (buy one get one 50%), since I figure I'll be nursing for at least another year... have three 'out' bras doesn't seem excessive. But I was still feeling guilty about the cost, and when I got to my cousin's house right fter, the first thing I said when we walked in the door was "remind me how much you spend on formula in a week!" I needed to feel more justified in my purchase. 

 

Rice milk FTW!! I can have cereal again. Thanks guys! I'm still navigating the world of snacks that aren't complete crap for me, but at least I've got my cereal back. And I went and picked up non-diary margarine. I think they discontinued the stuff I was buying becuase I notice now they have one that says 60% non-hydrogenated, etc etc, but haven't had the other one in several weeks. 

 

I just need to find chocolate now. I"m dying without my chocolate. 

 

Tenley had such an amazing day on Friday with the meeting and playdate and everything, and then even went to bed and had a really good night.... and yesterday was complete opposite. She had such a needy day (and shrieked when I put her in the carrier), that I didn't even manage to get a load of diapers stuffed, and that was the only thing I was trying to do all day. *sigh* She slept well this morning though, and woke up happy so here's hoping. It's niceish out too, and we're going for dinner at my dads so I think we're going to try to walk. 


Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

onetwoten is offline  
#207 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm like that with nursing bras because I know I won't be using them forever. I never thought of the cost in comparison to paying for formula. What a great idea! Now I can totally justify buying more if needed. Right now, I have 2 regular nursing bras that I really like and wear out. I have 2 nursing sleep bras that are very comfortable and I will wear out sometimes, like if I already have it on and need to run out. I have a couple of other regular nursing bras that I don't like so much so only use as backup. That seems to be enough for me for now. Oh, I also have a bunch of older ones from when I was nursing Ethan and Kellen. They are pretty worn but I can't bring myself to throw them out.

JJ ~ Not protein but I like to snack on garlic stuff olives. Can you get those? They're not organic so they do have preservative but they are a good source of healthy fat, which I need since I don't eat nuts.

I've been thinking more about the homeschooling and want to say a little more on it. It seems to me (and, of course, I could be wrong) that you guys are thinking that homeschool is school-at-home, basically doing the same thing at home that would be done at school. However, the beauty of homeschool is that it doesn't have to be that way at all. I homeschool because I want my kids to have a completely different experience and education than what they would get at school.

I had to let go of the idea that everyone needs to learn the same things in the same way, i.e. taught or schooled. Who decided that all kids need to have a "well-rounded" education and then what that would be? Why must they be taught those particular subjects in that manner and on that timeline? I've actually heard and read parents say that they don't teach their kids history even when the kids are interested because they aren't learning it in school yet. How strange is that? Why wouldn't you talk to your kids about whatever they are interested in whenever they are interested in it whether they are being taught it at school yet or not? The idea that all kids should learn certain subjects and certain ages is silly.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized it didn't make sense to me, especially since most kids don't really get all of it at school. For example, my mom asks me about science (very important to her since she has a master's in chemistry). She says we can't possibly provide the same opportunities for scientific learning as a school lab. But, most of the people I knew in high school took one science class, usually Earth Science because it was considered easiest, and then were done with it. I can certainly provide that at home and more. Another argument like that is what about Algebra? Well, first, I studied math through Calculus in college and my dad has a PhD in mathematics and has taught college math forever (he taught me algebra when I was in the 2nd grade by playing a game of it during long car rides), so I think I'm pretty well-qualified to help my kids learn Algebra and beyond, if they want. However, I don't think they necessarily have to learn algebra the way it's taught in schools, if at all.

The fact is that learning happens all around us all the time. It doesn't follow any specific timeline and doesn't require special instruction. My kids learn math because it is part of their lives. There's a snack bar at basketball where you can buy a bag of popcorn for $1. Kellen and I bought one once. The next time we went, Kellen wanted to buy two bags to make sure Ethan would get some. Totally out of the blue he said, "We're getting 2 bags so we need $2." He didn't even have to think about it. He just knew because it's a natural part of his life. I was very surprised. They learn about science in the same way, every time we cook or they throw a ball or dig in the dirt or jump off a banister. lol.gif They learn to read because there are written words around them all the time that they want to understand. Ethan has learned to read and write and spell from playing computer and video games. He now reads books without much trouble.

I think I've said a lot more than I intended. lol.gif I meant to just simply say that homeschool doesn't have to be school-at-home and almost anyone can do it if one can let go of that notion. smile.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
#208 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 AM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad you guys are getting some sleep because it's pretty much non-existent at my house these days! Although I think it's more a factor of external issues rather than inherent sleep issues that DD may have. This past week, we stayed at my mom's because DH was out of town. When we first went to her house, DD was a little snuffly and I expected she was probably getting a cold because my DSC were home last weekend and they were ALL sick and coughing and sneezing in DD's face. eyesroll.gif But as the week progressed, DD's congestion got worse and she would start sneezing when we went on the main level at my mom's house. Now my mom has a bunny at her house. DH is HIGHLY allergic to the bunny. I didn't think it would be possible for babies to have allergies. I called the nurse on Thursday and she said it was unlikely that DD was allergic to the bunny. But by Friday morning, the congestion was getting bad and it sounded like it was moving in to her lungs. So I took her to the pedi. Once we got there, she sounded fine. Lungs were clear and ears were clear. So since we were closer to my house than my mom's at that point, I went home so DD could take a nap. She was hardly congested the whole time we were there. Went back to my mom's Friday night and she slept SO HORRIBLE! She was so congested and could hardly breathe! I felt so bad for her! I had to teach a class Saturday morning but once I was done with that, I packed us up and went back home. We were supposed to stay until today. I just couldn't do it any more. Poor DD couldn't breathe. She was much better last night, still some congestion but nothing like at my mom's. So now my mom is so upset that DD is allergic to her house. I'm just like get rid of the stupid bunny! We've been asking her to get rid of the bunny for a while because of DH's allergies and also DSS 17's asthma gets going when he's out there too from the bunny.

 

I think sleeping in a different place and different bed has also contributed to her having bad nights this past week. And the next two weekends, we are going to be staying at other houses while I nanny/housesit. Hopefully she will sleep better at the other two houses because we'll be in a king bed instead of a full bed and also NO BUNNY!

 

I'd love to have a date night but since I'm only with DD two nights a week, I don't want to lose one of those nights to go on a date w/DH. Maybe next year or something.

 

I'm excited to try the SNS. I can't order it until after I get paid next weekend but I think once DD gets the hang of nursing, she will be fine with it. She still roots when she feels my bare skin and she's sleepy so I know the instinct is still there. She is just not interested in solids. I wish she was like your DS Baby_Cakes! I got her some of the baby Mum-Mums and she likes those o.k. They are like a giant flat rice krispie.

 

You guys only use 6 diapers a day? DD goes through at least 8 and sometimes 10 a day. I did get her to use the potty the other morning...she pooped and peed! Yay! My mom tried to use the 7th Gen dipes and after the second one, her bottom started getting red. So she stopped. I  need to buy another pack of the Flips but I've been putting it off. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take advantage of the buy two get one free BG 4.0s when they still had snaps available.


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
#209 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 AM
 
AnnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MW, I know that there are different types of homeschooling and I'm generally ok with unstructured learning for younger kids but I think that for my kids, I'd like them to learn certain math and writing skills to help them in college. My mom homeschooled me for 6th grade and since she was so busy working, I pretty much didn't do 6th grade. I was mostly fine going on to 7th grade but I never got a good grasp of fractions. To this day, I'm not good with fractions and percentages. I was at a HUGE disadvantage in college for chemistry trying to balance equations. I think it's almost impossible to survive in today's world w/out a college degree (neither DH or I have a college degree and it is VERY challenging and limits our career possibilities greatly) and I don't want our kids having to struggle like we do.


Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

AnnieA is offline  
#210 of 407 Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
 
MarineWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: on the edge
Posts: 11,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Annie ~ Lots of people are allergic to rabbits. I'm really surprised the nurse told you that probably wasn't it since your DH is allergic. Aren't those types of allergies genetic?

I use more than 6 cloth diapers a day. I think the average for sposies is 6-8 a day, though. Isn't that what they say when counting the # of wet diapers? As long as baby has 6 wet diapers a day, he is ok? That's for sposies, not cloth. If I change Dylan at least every 2 hours during the day and then use 1 diaper at night, that's at least 9 a day. It's probably a little more than that, though. I'd guess 10-12 depending on how many times he poops.

With unschooling, as kids get older they sometimes take on more formal learning. There are many ways to learn what is needed for college. Mainly, homeschoolers and unschoolers take community college classes while still in their teens. The community college here admits kids as young as 15 for certain classes. If you read some of the unschooling blogs of families with older kids and adults, you'd see there are many paths to follow to success.

You can't really compare what you did for one year of homeschooling with someone who has been unschooled all her life or even for several years. It's a completely different circumstance. Kids who have been in school (and parents even if their kids haven't been in school) need at least 1 month of deschooling for every year they were in school. That's just a general guideline based on what others have experienced, of course. There's no written script. So, you spending 9 months homeschooling for the 6th grade wasn't really enough time for you to deschool and get your own personal learning groove going after 5+ years of school, especially if the plan was for you to go back to school the next year. You didn't have the freedom to follow your own passions. From your own words that you didn't really do 6th grade while home, you were still in the school mindset.

And, who's to say you wouldn't have had trouble with fractions even if you were taught them in 6th grade? Some people never really get that sort of thing. It depends a lot on how your brain works and how you were taught or learned. Ryan learned fractions in school but said he never really got the hang of them until he had to start using them in real life situations. I did really well in school math but had a very hard time applying it to real life. It took me many years to get percents as applied to my every day life, like when something is on sale 15% off, but I tutored organic chemistry college. Go figure. shrug.gif

college degrees can provide more opportunity but maybe not. look at all the people now with college degrees who can't get jobs. Almost everyone is struggling in one way or another these days. Things are changing. Employers want people who are creative, who can think and learn and do, not just those who learned a very specific subject in college. I think college was more important for our generation but maybe not so much with this one or the next.

And, anyone can choose to go to college at anytime. Maybe because I did things a bit untraditionally, that path doesn't frighten me so much. I sort of graduated from high school. I do have a high school diploma but I did poorly my junior year because I was so depressed and got into a lot of bad things. I went to an adult ed night school my senior year when I found out I only needed one class to graduate. I dabbled with community college off and on for a few years before finally getting serious about it after I had Ryan. I didn't get my B.S. until I was 28, but once I got serious it only took me 2 years to graduate.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

MarineWife is offline  
Reply

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off