Facial Hemangioma (Strawberry birthmark) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We took DS to the ped yesterday for a 2 week check up and she pointed out that the very small (what looks like a blood blister) red dot on the tip of his nose was a possible hemangioma, or strawberry birthmark. She said that they normally get between 5-7 cm and disappear before age ten. Considering that it is on the tip of his nose, it seems like that would cover his nose. I need to do more research about it, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has had a child with a facial hemangioma and if they had it treated or not. I know it seems like treatment is very controversial, but I fear that he would be made fun of. Maybe that isnt the worst thing in the world, but if it can be safely removed, Id rather him not lose self confidence because of it. It seems very likely that he would get made fun of with it being right on his nose. Maybe its just vain of me to want it to go away, but I do. I'm wondering if anyone else has a child with one or has any experiences?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM

My daughter has two but not on her face.  She has one on the top of her head so when her hair became thick enough it covered it up and then she also has one on her chest.  She is turning 3 and they are definitely disappearing.  Her one on the top of her head is almost gone and the one on her chest is considerably smaller.  They do get bigger and are pretty red and if it had been on her nose I would have been asking the same questions about if it could be removed.

#3 of 4 Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM

Check out www.birthmark.org.  There are a ton of helpful resources on there.  You should get your child to a pediatric derm who speacializes in hemangiomas.  The folks on birthmark.org can point you in the right direction.  also look into propranolol as a course of treatment.  Unfortunately, most pediatricians are woefully ignorant about hemangiomas and the advances that have been made in their treatment over the past few years.  Good luck.

#4 of 4 Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to both of you. The spot on DS's nose fell of a few days ago, so I guess it must have been a scab of some sort or maybe a blood blister. Im really happy to not have to deal with it right now, but I appreciate the links and advice for future reference.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page