20 week old still feeding twice in night - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone, just after some advice. Is it normal for 20 week old baby still feeding twice in night?
My son is 20 weeks old and most nights he wakes twice to feed, he's formula fed. Every now and again he'll only wake once but most of the time it's twice, it doesn't bother me as I got to bed when he does, at about 8-8.30. What I want to know is it out of hunger or because he's used to it? I feed him every 3hrs in the day, he takes 6oz per feed, he's not on any solids yet. TIA, Terri x

#2 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 AM

Well, I have no experience with bottles or formula, but I can tell you that my youngest who is 27 MONTHS is still nursing a couple of times a night. I think that 'normal' is just too hard to define; every baby has his very own normal.

I don't know how you'd tell if he 'needs' the meal physically or if he just wants the comfort of sucking and cuddling...either way I think it's best to meet those very real baby needs!

Sounds normal to me anyway. Enjoy that nighttime snuggling, mama!

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#3 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 AM

I think that is very normal.  My daughter went from two night time feeds to one later than that.  She's now 11 months and still gets one bottle during the night except for the rare night here and there when she doesn't.  I think he will let you know when he's ready to eat less.  At her age though I usually try to cuddle and soothe her back to sleep first rather than giving her a bottle automatically, but your guy is very little still.

And keep in mind that all babies are different.  I don't buy the advice out there that says if your baby is X weeks/months old they can't need food at night anymore, that's BS.

#4 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 AM

I too breastfed but I think it is very normal- and good for you for meeting your babies needs!  This is just part of early motherhood and you sound like you are doing a great job!

Do you have a partner you could switch feedings off for?  I would be happy it was only two feedings or night wakings :)

Enjoy your baby and your late night cuddle/feeding times.  It won't last forever.

Hugs

em

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 AM

I also continue to breastfeed exclusively (still no solids, still not planning on solids any time soon) and my little one, who is right around the same age as your little one (born 09/23/2011) wakes reliably to nurse twice during her night sleep and occasionally as much as 4-6 times to nurse.  I am happily assuming she'll continue this at least until 12 months, if not much longer.  I don't mind the night feedings, as it's just her, me, and snuggling.  love.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#6 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

they share the same birthday!

#7 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM

just adding in my agree that it's normal - my daughter will be 10 months tomorrow and she still wakes up to nurse at least 2 times a night. lately with teething and juuust about to start walking, it's more like 4 times a night! ;) though i look forward to sleeping more than 4 hours at a time SOMETIME in my life again, i know this night feeding is temporary and i try to just appreciate the cuddles.

#8 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM

My son is 6 months old now and he wakes to feed ... he actually would nurse all night (maybe partly for comfort) if I didn't roll over and sleep Sheepish.gif

#9 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, you've put my mind at rest. It doesn'tt bother me in the slightest, it's other people, why is everyone so obsessed with babies STTN? I have two other children, one of 18 and the other 13, who as far as I can remember were still feeding until they were about 1 but it seems people now think babies should STTN from birth! 

Once again, thank you x

#10 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM

we don't on here u are among friends :)

terrimorgan likes this.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#11 of 13 Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM

i think the feeding is pretty normal, that being said, depending on their weight it might just be because they are used to it at that age. not that its wrong to do, but thats good to understand. my 1 year old twins are still usually feeing once a night/very early morning and they dropped the other times just recently

AS for the sleeping...

everyone does seem way too interested in if other folks' babies are sleeping thru the night.

it's good to remember a few things:

STTN is officially described as sleeping a 5 hour chunk anywhere in the night, most babies tend to do it first closer to the start of their night. i for instance still have babes that wake a few times on most nights, but they do usually give me a chunk of time from 8pm till 12 or 1, so even though it does not feel like it in any way, that is technically sleeping thru the night!

the other thing is that i am now a very firm believer that most parents consciously or unconsciously overstate the amount their kids sleeps. while others who like to be marters will overstate how many times they "have " to get up.

from time to time i track a few nights with an i phone app to see how we are doing, i learned long ago my memory of just the night before was too muddled.  i am often super surprised how the night really go, not like it felt most of the time.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#12 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM

terrimorgan, wasn't September 23rd a wonderful day to give birth?  joy.gifDaughter was my first; I see you have other babies.  I'm glad to have you on Mothering.  I'm happy the conversation has put you at ease.  Happy Valentine's Day!

terrimorgan likes this.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#13 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM

My son is about 19 weeks and yes, it's still normal. He's on solids too, so it's a myth that solids will make your baby STTN. He takes in about 5 bottles of 7-8 oz. a day, plus two solid meals. He sleeps from 7 pm till 4 am. He drinks a 7-8 bottle and then falls asleep till he wakes up at 7 am. I think 1-2 feeds is still normal for a 4-5 month old. 

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page