breast feeding and constipation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strictly breast fed 4 1/2 month old DD typically has BM once every 2-3 days.
Totally different than my first two kids, both boys, both had 2-3 per day.
Is this a gender thing?? Today we are on day four of no BM.
She does not seem to be in pain, no bloating or other abnormalities...
but justs seems totally bizzaro to me.
Anyone else experience this?
#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 AM

IME, Exclusively breastfed babies don't poop every day. It's more like a couple times a week. - our ped who is pretty breastfeeding friendly says this is completely within the realm of normal (for us this started around the 2 month mark). Generally I think it's because there's a lot less waste in breastmilk, so therefore less to poop.

As for gender thing, I have had an EBF boy and am now EBF my daughter, and both are the same way. the first month or so, it's like they pooped with every feeding (I called it the suck-squirt reflex :hehe:) but eventually it slowed down. Once we added in solids with DS, he started pooping every day, but that wasn't regular until he was weaned at 15 months.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Ugh, same here.  DD went 3 days without pooping and then had a massive poop.  She's 4 weeks old.  Today was the first poop since Sat!  I would rather her poop every day :)

#4 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Not a gender thing - it is totally within the realm of normal for an EBF baby - typically starts around 6 weeks old -to poop infrequently.  Breastmilk is a perfect food - there is very little 'waste'.  Some babies go only once a week ...of course both of my EBF babies pooped 2 - 3 X a day - so there are no promises!

it is VERY rare for an EBF baby to be constipated.  I think you just lucked out on this one!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page