Insomnia in 1 yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure if this should be in LWAB or Toddlers since Kyle is 13 months.  I'm posting here because this problem has been going on for months, not just recently.

Kyle has always been a terrible sleeper, short cat naps and frequent night wakings have been common for him since he was just a few months old.  The past few months have gotten worse with the night wakings, not necessarily the frequency of waking at night but he wakes up and cannot get back to sleep for several hours.  Almost every single night he wakes up and he's wide awake for at least 2 hours, sometimes 3 or 4 hours.

We've tried everything to get him back to sleep.  We don't/won't do CIO, its just not for us.  We've thought maybe he's waking up hungry so we feed him, sometimes he will go back to sleep, sometimes not.  We started feeding him some yogurt before bed hoping that would help him get thru the night better.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Lately the only thing that works is getting up with him, letting him play for a while and then he'll go back to sleep. 

He has no problem putting himself to sleep so this isn't a problem with self soothing.  Its almost like he has insomnia.  He's not fussy when he wakes up, just wide awake and wanting to play or just hang out.  I can sit in the rocker with him for hours singing, rocking, playing music and he won't go to sleep.  He will just lay there eyes wide open. 

Any ideas how to either keep him from waking up or ways to get him back to sleep in less than 2-3 hours? 

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11

Tags
Baby
User Tag List