6 month old baby, carried mostly all day ... not crawling. What should I do? :( :( :( everyone is worried ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my son is 6 months and 2 weeks old. I have carried him in a sling since birth. He is always in arms or in a sling - now that he's older I carry him in a wrap or ssc. 

For about a week we have been staying with my parents while work is done on our house. Well my dad is all over me about leaving my son on the floor to play. My mom is doing exercises with with him every chance she can each day to get him to crawl. Mostly leading to my son getting upset and crying ... 

Tonight at dinner w/ the inlaws my father in law (who is a Dr.) questioned where I put my son when I'm cooking and I'm like WHAT do you mean? and my MIL said "we're all worried because he's not crawling yet"...

Well, I know I'm frustrated with everyone. I want them to leave my son alone. I have never even looked at developmental charts or worried over milestones. I just don't know what to say to everyone. 

Is there something wrong if my son is not crawling yet? Is me carrying him in arms bad for him now that he's getting older? Am I ruining everything? 

I love him being "in arms" and he is actually the best baby I have ever seen. He smiles all day. He almost never cries. He is always so happy and calm. Whatever I'm doing is working and now everyone has me all freaked out. 

Tell me! lol.

#2 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My oldest was also in arms or worn nearly all the time. She never crawled. At eight moths she started cruising, and then she walked at ten months. I'm sorry that your family is giving you grief. My mom was always trying tummy time with dd on the floor too. Drove me nuts. Your baby will be fine!
My second child is also in arms or worn constantly. He's nearly five months. We'll see what he does! Perhaps they like being upright be because of being worn upright? Who knows. Anyway, I'm not worried about it.

ETA: my oldest's best bud is three days older than she is and was also worn all the time and he crawled at four and a half months. So who knows! He's way more go go go than my dd. I was always thankful that dd stuck close for so long!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

this makes me feel better! At least I know I'm not ... taking away from his developing muscles required to crawl ... or something or another I just read in google :D lol.

I shall wear him and just tell everyone I do tummy time 5 times a day. LOL

#4 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

oh and I should add that he holds his head up, sits upright on his own, and is very strong. I just don't think he wants to crawl ... there are times I DO put him down! He just doesn't want to crawl I guess.

#5 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

6 months is pretty early for crawling anyway!  Many babies skip crawling and go straight to walking.  Tell your family that they don't know what they are talking about, and that there is absolutely no reason for concern for a 6 month old who isn't crawling yet.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

as a side comment I told them I do not care if he waits to crawl until he's one ... and that he will crawl when he's ready :D ... 

I'm sure they think I'm crazy already.

#7 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM

I really wouldn't worry, but some people get hung up on silly things.  I was just trying to remember when DD started crawling, it seems it was a little after 8 months.  She has always loved being on her tummy and it just didn't interest her, neither did sitting, one day she just started doing it and did it well from the start.  And it's really a pain once they start crawling, she is into everything and I'm always chasing after her!

I think carrying babies is good for lots of things, except for the attachment benefits being upright also helps them work on muscle development and balance.  Tell your parents to shove it (well, not really but you know what I'm saying).

#8 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM

My little guy is the exact same age. He gets a lot of floor time at school every day, then at home we're mostly carrying him. He can push himself up on his arms, but he's not really close to crawling. He's got great sitting up balance! I think babies do their own thing at their own pace, especially of they have the security of loving and nurturing parents like you! I'm sorry you're getting criticized.

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
#9 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM

I think six months is way to early to worry. My son started crawling at six months, but even our pediatrician was surprised and said it was several months earlier than she expects. Most of the other babies I know crawled aronund 8 or 9 months...or not at all.

Perhaps your parents and in-laws are misremembering how long it took their own kids to crawl?

Laura ~ crafty, hiker, knitter, teacher, SAHM. Wife to DH, Mother to DS#1 (12/2010) and DS#2 (11/2011). Expecting DS #3 April 2nd 2014. Praying for an uncomplicated pregnancy and healthy baby!
#10 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM

My oldest was in arms all the time. He crawled at 10 months and walked at 13. He's almost 10 now and doesn't need to carried around or anything winky.gif People are so caught up on milestones! And your son is still in the very early range for crawling anyway! If he's healthy and happy, no worries!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#11 of 29 Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

You will laugh ... seriously. 

My husbands mother SWEARS that her son crawled when he was 3 months old. She has been telling this story forever. Lol. 

I'm sure she remembers wrong ...

#12 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPDX View Post

I think babies do their own thing at their own pace, especially of they have the security of loving and nurturing parents like you! I'm sorry you're getting criticized.

yeahthat.gif

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#13 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM

I'm here just to add to the pile of "it's way to early to worry"...  I'm sorry you're getting grief over this!  flowersforyou.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#14 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM

Aside from being way too early to crawl, did you know that crawling is NOT a developmental milestone?  In many cultures it's too dangerous to put babies on the ground, so they are carried around until they can walk on their own!

justrose13 and RStelle like this.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#15 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Dude, worried at 6 months???  I expect a baby to be sitting around then, but not crawling.  My ds crawled somewhere in the 8-10mnth range.  You can always use the "my doctor says..." line.  And yeah, my MIL swears DH could clearly state his name at 8 months.

#16 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM

another mama here in a similar boat....i have a 6.5 monther (amypdx, we had our babies on the same day!! so sweet) and he is mostly carried around. he sits exquisitely, and has done an army crawl thing with no arms....but really he's just not on the ground enough to crawl, imo. don't worry. this is number 3 for me, and i am seriously glad that EVERYTHING doesn't have to be baby proofed yet......i'm sweating that a little bit

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#17 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Yup... what everyone else already said... way way way too early to worry!  The rule I've always heard is "some form" of mobility by 1 year old.  Which could be walking, or crawling, or cruising, or rolling, or an army crawl, or whatever.

My older son was carried all the time and crawled around 7-8 months, then walked around 10 months.  I continued to carry him huge parts of our day even after he was mobile, and it didn't seem to hurt him any.  

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#18 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hymanroth View Post

You will laugh ... seriously. 

My husbands mother SWEARS that her son crawled when he was 3 months old. She has been telling this story forever. Lol. 

I'm sure she remembers wrong ...

I think she has a case of MILitis. My MIL has it too. My dd was a terrible sleeper, and MIL just couldn't get over it since both of her kids slept through the night by 5 weeks. Fastforward to the toddler years, and she was amazed at how much interaction my kids needed. You see when DH was 2, they could just sit him by a window and he would happily watch trucks go by for an hour. You get the idea...

Trying to get my bearings...
#19 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post

I think she has a case of MILitis. My MIL has it too. My dd was a terrible sleeper, and MIL just couldn't get over it since both of her kids slept through the night by 5 weeks. Fastforward to the toddler years, and she was amazed at how much interaction my kids needed. You see when DH was 2, they could just sit him by a window and he would happily watch trucks go by for an hour. You get the idea...

Haha yeah my MIL pulls that nonsense all the time. When we were down for the Holidays she insisted that she never had trouble keeping her three boys in their seats for dinner, but before I had kids she'd tell stories of how she's have to call her husband in tears to come home from work because the boys were driving her nuts.

#20 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

I was just having this conversation with some other mamas on FB regarding our 6 month olds.  I think it's all about personality. My DS won't put up with being in a carrier for more than 30 min if we are just inside the house and when I put him down he is always go-go-go (not crawling, just flopping around and scooting). But he also is such a fussy, cranky, frustrated guy. He is always trying to get out of our arms but then wants back up right away, he just isn't content to chill and watch the world around him. Some other mamas have 6 month olds who want to observe their world more, don't fuss as much, and want to be talked to or read to more. I think it's just personality showing through.

Also, very few 6 month olds can crawl. I think 8-9 months is "average."

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#21 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

It sounds like your baby is doing wonderfully! 6 months is very early to be concerned that a baby isn't crawling, and your baby gets more from being held and worn upright than from doing "exercises" and enforced tummy time.  Tummy time is necessary for building core strength and getting babies off their backs, but your little one is building his core while you carry him, and enjoying it in the process!  I'd say to keep doing what you are doing--sounds like it is working for both of you!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#22 of 29 Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post

OMG this is so true!

#23 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM

Thank you so much for this thread!  I was seriously starting to get stressed out that my 8 month old is not crawling yet, amidst stories from family about how "so-and-so's daughter is crawling and she's only 4 months" and "well your cousin's son is up on his hands and knees already and he's way younger than your baby!"  I had begun to force my baby into tummy time, which she generally hates.  She'll roll around, pull herself on her bum a little bit, and is trying to pull up to standing, but has ZERO interest in crawling.  At all.  I gave up on trying when I realized that crawling really doesn't matter.  She's not going to be floor-bound forever, so I should enjoy the time while I can still count on her staying in one place. ;)

It's also easy to forget that with the "back-to-sleep" campaign, babies aren't getting as much time on their bellies as they did 20 or 30 years ago.  The stories we hear from our mother-in-laws about insanely early crawlers might not be totally inaccurate, as babies had much more time to practice and master crawling, when they woke up in that position each morning.  This occurred to me when I realized that DH's cousin, who has a five month old crawler, religiously follows her elderly parents' advice and has her baby tummy sleeping (and facing forward in a regular car seat...but that's another argument =P).  It's easy to see how her baby is crawling already, when she's been sleeping on her belly since birth!

#24 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM

I worried so much about mobility when DS was little! He didn't even like *rolling* and hardly ever did it until he was very close to crawling. DS also never scooted - he didn't crawl until he could crawl on hands and knees. When he was 9 months old, literally at his 9-month well-baby checkup after the pediatrician asked us if he could crawl (we said "no, but he's getting close!" - and BTW, she was totally unconcerned, even at that age), he crawled across the floor to her! We were stunned.

After that, he rapidly progressed to pulling to stand and cruising, and was ultimately a full-time walker by 13 months. (Interestingly, my DH crawled at 6 months but didn't walk until 14 -  a full 8 months of crawling, while DS, although he crawled later, spent only 4 months as a full-time crawler).

Every kid is so different, and at 6 months, I would have been ecstatic if my kid had been crawling. (Now I realize how great those days were before babyproofing...)

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#25 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM

My now 7yo never crawled. Ever. He scooted around until he was 11 months old, and one day got up and walked. I wouldn't worry at all. I ditto what everyone else has said. In fact, I would go so far as to say that most six month olds don't crawl.

Haha re MIL.... Funny, my SIL (DH's sis) would watch my DD have meltdowns as a toddler and tsk tsk, saying her son NEVER had a tantrum. NEVER. She was very adamant that it must be something I wasn't doing that caused it. She had a second son 4 years later, and I was around to see this one first hand. He melted down regularly, yet now, 6 years later, she tells anyone who will listen that NEITHER of her sons ever had a tantrum. EVER. There's just no pleasing people. hehe.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#26 of 29 Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree, no concerns at all, he is only 6 months. I think our own parents forget the developmental time frame, which is understandable, as it was so long ago. My mother was asking why my son wasn't walking when he turned 9 months. He had been crawling for months (he was early) and she said "He's been crawling forever, shouldn't he be walking by now?". She does forget though most of the developmental timing and will ask when they get teeth, start imaginary play and so on. I just think that parent's memory can be a bit blurry. My own is already, as the months go by, and my baby is only 28 months.

Your are doing a great job and carrying your baby is so wonderful for sensory development, the vestibular stimulation is great for motor skills development too. He's clinging, positioning, balancing. Plus your baby is getting such an education in the sling, being face to face with people, watching them speak and how they form words, getting so much interaction and being a part of the adult world. The activities your baby can watch close up, being in a sling is beyond what many babies see throughout the day. Best of all he gets to be with you.

Carry on Mama!

#27 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM

I never crawled...and I made it all the way through high school and college :) I was a baby in a trailer with no electricity, very small, cold floor space and my mom never wanted to put me down. So she didn't. And I'm fine. 

My daughter is 4 months now and people keep asking me if she's rolling over yet. She's not. She doesn't seem to care...but she is the most active, wiggly, ready to move baby I've ever seen. Personally I think she's just going to sit up and ask me for the car keys one of these days, and skip all the rest of it...don't let them get to you.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#28 of 29 Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM

I do know of one family where their two kids did in fact crawl at 4 months, walk at around 8 months, and talk in full sentences at 12 months--but that's a major exception. My kids crawled at 8 months, walked at 14.5 months and 12 months and both took a long time to talk. But it all evens out in the end :) With two kids under foot and a business to run I suspect this baby is going to spend almost all it's time it a sling.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#29 of 29 Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had one child that did do things earlier, one that started off later but then by 12 months had caught up and was walking, another that was late in every single thing. He didn't walk until 18 months, crawling was later, speech is still coming at almost 3 years old. But physically? Now, at his age I can not tell the difference in him and a child that walked 6-9 months before he did. If anything he is a daredevil who will climb up all sorts of thing sand jump off with zero hesitation. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page