Intro'd solids--> FEROCIOUS diaper rash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Has anyone else had this experience? I introduced my 7.5 mo old to pureed peas 2 nights ago, and another serving last night. He only really ate a few finger scoops (I'm trying the "plop the food in front of him and let him decide if/how much to eat" method). I noticed a little reddening on his bottom yesterday morning but by evening it looked almost gone. This morning, it's terrible! Bright red, spots of skin breakdown, very painful. :( He hasn't had diaper rash since one short episode when he was 2 weeks old. 

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#2 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd say don't give him anymore peas for at least a week and see if it clears up. i woldn't give him any other solids unless it's something hr's eaten for at least a week without any reaction.

this is exactly why it's suggested that you only introduce one new food a week and start with small amounts. then, if there is a reaction, you can pinpoint the culprit right away and eliminate it.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#3 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, this was pretty easy to pinpoint, as it is his FIRST solid food! I fed peas to him again earlier today. He is screaming in my arms as we speak. My poor baby. shy.gif  His butt is raw. Looks like yeast.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#4 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Poor thing. Definitely stop giving him the peas until the rash clears up. Then you could try to re-introduce them if you want and see if the rash comes back. Are they homemade peas or baby food from a jar? If from a jar, it may not just be the peas or the peas at all but some additive.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, I made them at home. I'll reintroduce them in a few days... It would be too weird if he is actually allergic to peas. I'm guessing it might be the solids introduction changing his gut flora? We shall see. Back to EBF for a bit.

#6 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 AM

this has happened with all 3 of my kiddos at some point. DS2 is having this now, the only suspect is egg yolks. I don't know that it was necessarily a reaction...could it have been teething, a coincidence, sure. But, I totally agree, and that's what I've decided on each time, to stop with that food. Each time, with my LO's, I continued giving them what they'd already had for a while. I waited at least a month or so before trying that same food again,and never got a reaction the second time. I tend to think it's just the change in gut acidity due to the introduction of the food, and with DD, a tooth erupted a few days later, but in the grand scheme of things, not having one specific food for a while isn't a big deal (to me, at least). The chance of a true allergy is pretty small, unless you have a ton of food allergies in your family.  But, to me, not giving that one food for a while has no risk at all, and there are so many other choices. I hope he feels better soon, poor guy :( 

#7 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 AM

I have read over and over that a red, irritated circle around the anus is a sign of a food reaction. I don't know if you would call it a true allergy or not but something in that food is causing trouble for the baby.

You may not need to puree the peas, by the way. If they are cooked and soft, you can probably give them to him whole as long as he can sit up. I don't do purees at all with my babies. If they need purees, I figure they aren't ready for solids, and I go by developments, not age. My point of that was that, at only 7.5 months, if baby is having such a reaction to something as benign as peas and needs purees, maybe he's not ready for any solids yet. That might explain the reaction.

#8 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

MarineWife, I think you have a point. I'm feeling pressure to do the solids and while he stares while we're eating, he gags on everything but very smooth purees and is very content and healthy with just nursing. I'm going to back off a little and wait for him to get more ready. 

#9 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Some babies aren't really ready to eat until 9-12 months. Even if they do eat some earlier, especially with breastfeeding, it's just to taste and experiment. It shouldn't be fulfilling a meal requirement yet. Rather than going by age or pressure from others based on age (especially since most of those others probably get their ideas of when babies should start solids is outdated and/or based on the "rules" formula fed babies), go by developmental stages. Baby is ready for solids when they can at least sit upright unsupported and their gag reflex is completely gone. Ideally, they would also have some teeth and have developed the pincer grasp.

My 7 month old appears very interested in our food when we are eating. He stares at it and sometimes grabs for it. But when it gets in his mouth, he makes a yuck face and spits it out or gags on it. I do give him pieces of food to play with when we are eating, usually slices of banana but I've also given him a few different types of squash and sweet potatoes. They are there if and when he's ready to eat them but I'm not pushing him to eat them, ifywim. He's actually more interested in just having a spoon to chew on.

#10 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM

I'd wait longer than a week. A week isn't going to change anything with his gut health to be able to digest the peas. Let the rash clear, and try a different food (cooked squash, ripe avocado, or cooked carrots).  Give a small serving of one of the foods one day, wait two days and observe if there's a rash or major changes in stools (ie hard and formed, or non existent, or overly runny like diarrhea). If ok, give more and proceed with more if it's clear.

Do you have any digestive issues? Has his digestion been normal while EBF? Any antibiotics for him or you during pregnancy or since birth?

If peas seems to be the only thing he reacts to, I wouldn't worry too much at this point if he's tolerating other foods. The redness after a bowel movement is a key indicator of inability to digest a particular food and not often a true allergy. Food sensitivities can be reversed though with probiotics and feeding easy to digest foods (the three I mentioned above plus well cooked meats, later on).  Don't give rice or grains for a long time. If he's having difficulty digesting peas, then rice and grains will be very difficult.

If you try peas again in a few weeks and he has nothing, and hasn't reacted to other foods, then it could have been some strange anomaly and you can keep it in mind but keep moving ahead with foods.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I spoke to my mom about it and she noted that peas, while not big allergens, do have skins, and she suggested that I try something like cooked yams next time, once ds is happy-butted again. 

CookAMH, I don't have any digestive problems, but I do have food allergies, including two common "first foods"- banana and avocado. Several of my family members have major, anaphylactic food and environmental allergies, so all in all I'll be treading very carefully with food introduction! Hopefully ds will take more after his dad's side when it comes to this stuff. He's had no digestive issues at all while EBF. I took antibiotics for mastitis over a month ago, and no thrush for either of us.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page