March 2012 Rockstar Mamas and Their Babies - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are those the really cheap ones made in China? I think those are the ones I bought a few of in a co-op for around $4 each, which is an incredible price. They were awful diapers, though. I got the OS pockets and they leaked horribly. I couldn't use them at all and just threw them out. Good thing they were so cheap.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Yeah they are made in China. The more I look at them, I think I'm talking myself out of them. What I really want to do is buy 1 more set of Flips (so two covers and 6 inserts) and if they would ever do a seconds sale again, get 1 dz GMD red or brown PFs. I have 5 medium size covers that I would like to use but no PFs to go in them. I guess I could always sell the covers and put that towards the Flips. But then I would only have 6 BG 4.0s and 18 Flip inserts w/7 covers. That doesn't seem like enough diapers! Of course, I'm only having to wash like every 3rd day right now so maybe I have too many?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM

And maybe I'm just cheap but every time I look on DS to try to find a deal, everything there seems SO expensive for used diapers! Like $30 for a dz GMD PFs. They aren't that much more brand new! WTH?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

IDK. I've said before that I have no idea how to price used diapers. Maybe that price is good if it's PPD? shrug.gif No amount is worth if the diapers don't work.

I googled Sunbaby diapers and those are the ones I bought in a co-op that did not work at all. I posted about it on TSW, where the co-op was run and got mixed reviews. Some people said they've gotten batches where some of the diapers work and some don't. One person told me her sister got a whole bunch that never worked at all. She tried all kinds of things to get them work but they always just leaked right through as if there was no water resistant cover at all. That was my experience. I wouldn't take my chances on diapers that might work no matter how cheap they are.

I prefer only having wash every 3rd day. Right now I'm having to wash every 2nd day and I hate it. Half the time I don't realize I need to wash my dipes until I'm almost down to nothing. I really need to get some more. Now that Sean is home I can start taking some time to go through my stuff, take pics and get things up for sale. I have those 6 or 7 medium FBs with microfiber inserts, a dozen small PFs, a few NB and small fitteds and a bunch of woolies.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Yeah I don't think I'm going to do it. It sounds like such a good idea but honestly I have leaking issues sometimes with my BGs, I can't imagine it being worse! My Flips have been the best purchase, although the microfiber stink is bad after she's been in one all night. That's also why I'd like to have at least a dz PFs because sometimes I like to put a natural fiber up against her and give her bottom a break from the microfiber. It's not as bad in the BGs but I only have 6 of those so can't use them full time. I think I'm just going to try to survive until GMD does a seconds sale. They haven't done one since last summer so they have to do another one some time soon...hopefully!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Just as cheap and with more options are alba baby diapers. I have some I bought used and I think they work well.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Talking about diapers, I'm getting aggravated at Sean using my diapers. He's not doing anything wrong but I don't know if he's using the right diaper for the right time.

Last night was horrible. I got Dylan to sleep around 10:00 but he woke up a half hour later and would not go back to sleep. I could handle him being awake in bed, babbling, but he doesn't just do that. He scratches and pinches and claws me and pulls my hair. I literally have a ton of tiny scabs all over the top of my belly just under my chest where he has scratched me. I can feel them if I run my hand over my skin. I took a picture of my skin the other day to show you all how red and irritated it gets from him scratching and pinching me. It didn't come out very clear but here it is.

I meant to get some baby mittens when I was at BRU the other day but when I got home I realized they were booties. And, yeah, I do keep his nails clipped as much as possible. He still manages to pinch and scratch me raw. greensad.gif

I got so angry with him last night. I couldn't take it. I told Sean to take him around midnight but then Dylan just screamed. Sean said he seemed afraid because he was so stiff and tense. I felt so bad that I laid in my bed and cried for a few minutes and then got up to get him again (before I knew he was crying and screaming).

Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM

akind1, I thought the Alba baby dipes were Sunbaby dipes just rebranded, no?

MW, totally understand the diaper and sleep frustration. If I don't have the diapers prepped and put away exactly the way DH has learned them, then he will get "creative" and no telling how things will end up! As for sleep, Friday night was a mess for us! DH has a cold/allergies and he was snoring SO loud! I tried to wake him three times and tell him to go get on the couch. He would say yes then roll over and keep snoring...irked.gif. Finally the snoring woke DD around 1:30 AM and she wasn't going back to sleep. So I woke DH and said "your snoring has won you a baby for the next hour! Take her out in the living room and wake me in a hour so I can pump." He wasn't happy but he did it. DD has started that very physical stuff when she's going to sleep. It's almost like she needs to wrestle a bit before she can settle down. I will attempt to hold/rock/bounce her while she squirms and fusses for a few minutes. Then I lay her down, she takes her bottle and goes to sleep. shrug.gif If I don't do the rocking stuff with her, she lays there and plays with her feet and flips around on the bed and won't settle down. I don't know what her deal is but as long as I do the rocking/wrestling thing for about five mins, she settles fine. These babies are nuts these days! DD was sooo restless last night and kept calling out to eat every 30 mins. When she finally woke up for the day, I felt so bad because when I went to change her diaper, she was SOAKED! She was probably so squirmy because she was uncomfortable! Poor baby! greensad.gif 

Old 03-11-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ I feel like I'm fighting and wrestling with Dylan all night long. I'm either trying to keep him from scratching or pinching me, which he gets very mad about, or I'm trying to get him to settle down and be still. I really don't know what the deal is. The first night Sean was home was pretty horrible but the next night was really good. Then last night was horrible again.

Sean has been sleeping in the boys' room. The first night he was home he tried to sleep on the floor next to the bed in our bedroom. I was like, "WTH are you doing?" He snores something awful and I had already told him that, if he didn't do something to help with his snoring, he'd have to sleep somewhere else. I don't know what the point was in sleeping on the floor. Just seemed really dumb to me. Since then we've been trying to get the boys to sleep in their room with him. So far, every night Kellen says he's going to sleep with Daddy but ends up climbing in bed with me around 11 or so. Ethan doesn't even pretend that he's going to sleep with Sean even though he had initially said he'd try it.

Tonight we're going to try taking Ethan and Kellen to bed earlier than Dylan. That way, hopefully, they will be asleep or at least settled and quiet by the time I try to get Dylan to go to sleep so they won't disturb and distract him. I'm not sure who's going to take the boys to bed and who's going to stay up with Dylan. I guess it depends on who's more tired at 9 pm (which will really only feel like 8 so I'm not holding out much hope that the boys will fall asleep that early).

Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Guess what? I posted on my local mothering group today to see if anyone had a woven wrap they were willing to part with and a lady is selling me her gypsy mama wrap for $30!! And I love the print! I won't be able to get it until later this week but I'm so excited!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Annie, I am so excited for you; that's a great price! how long is it?

MW: that sounds very frustrating! IDK what I'd do. DD is scratchy and pinchy all the time. she's getting better about doing so in a non painful fashion (not digging her nails in maybe). Have you tried filing instead of cutting Dylans? my kids are always sharpest right after they've been cut. Hope you find a sleep solution that works.

Busy busy day yesterday: moved into the basement apartment at my parents. sooo much space! And prolly TMI, but I tell you, it's so nice to be able to walk around in your underwear. couldn't at MIL's as all the space was shared. I had DD on my back alot, and while it is easier than just holding her in arms, doing it for hours you do feel on your back. It's not really bad, just noticable.

diapers - I've only had problems with FIL putting the wrong diapers on at that wrong time. Bless him though, for being so willing to deal with them!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 AM

Hi guys!  

Annie - awesome about the wrap!  Mega cheap!  Nice find!

Kat - CONGRATS on getting out of your MILs house!  I bet you feel wearing N in your back.  She's not exactly light as a feather, that little chunky monkey! lol.gif  

MW - Yay that Sean is home!  I laughed so hard when you mentioned the snoring.  That's the #1 reason DH sleeps elsewhere.  I even mentioned it to him last night, that even if/when Finn starts STTN and doesn't need to nurse often, he'll still prob sleep upstairs b/c of the snoring.  I can hear it some nights from my room, even with the furnace and humidifier on.  Idk how he can snore like that.  He went to the dr and he doesn't have anything wrong physically.  They threw a bunch of prescriptions at him for allergies, etc, and nothing really helps.  He's tried the breathe right strips but they just bother him and he still snores a bit.  Idk what else to do.  I think this is why elderly people don't share bedrooms.  LOL.

AFUs - we all went out to Red Robin last night with my ILs to celebrate Chris's and my birthday.  It went ok!  We survived!  Nora had trouble sitting still and wanted to use the bathroom over and over (but didn't actually have to go), and Finn was fussier than normal, but he's fighting a cold and it was loud there.  He ate a sliced tomato!  It was the only thing he liked.  He tried a bit of french fry and some steamed broccoli, but only wanted the tomato.  LOL.

The time change totally sucks.  

I was SO TIRED last night from getting crap sleep the night before last.  Finn is so congested he can't nurse.  It's terrible.  Well -- he can, but I have to be sitting, and any effort to lay him down makes him cry.  So, last night finally at around 4, I finagled a propped up pillow position so my arms could hold him but I could relax enough to sleep.  I think we slept 2 hours in a row after that.

I put him in the cosleeper when he woke up at 8, sitting up b/c I was totally going to get up.  The next thing I knew I woke up to him chatting on his tummy, my door was shut, and it was 830.  LOL!  Nora had apparently gotten up, come into my room, saw I was sleeping and Finn was up, and went back into her room to play, shutting the door so she wouldn't wake us.  HA.  I had to laugh.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ Nice deal on the wrap!

Kat ~ Yay for moving into your own space! joy.gif

Carrie ~ How sweet of Nora to do that. If Ethan wakes up before me, he'll go downstairs by himself. Kellen has to have someone with him but he'll go if Ethan goes.

I don't know what it is about men snoring louder and louder as they get older. Sean used to not snore at all, at least that I ever noticed. It only got really bad in the last 2 years, I guess. (I was going to say the last year but he's been gone that long and it had been going on for a while before he left.) I don't think he's asked a doctor about it. He has tried those Breathe Rite strips that go on the nose and those strips that dissolve on your tongue like those breath fresheners. I think that helped some but he ran out and hasn't gotten anymore yet. It was just the dumbest thing to sleep on the floor. If you're going to sleep in the same room with me, at least lay down when I can reach you to poke or kick you when you start snoring really loud. Don't lay down so far away that I have to get up and walk around the bed to get you to stop. Duh!

Last night was a mess. We took Ryan out to eat for his 21st birthday, which was yesterday. Ethan got very upset because there wasn't anything on the menu that he wanted and refused to order. Fine, whatever. But then he started blaming me for it, saying he was hungry and that he wanted to go home. Sort of yelling at me under his breath the entire time we were sitting there. I explained to him that we couldn't leave everyone else there. We had already ordered our food. I offered him everything on my plate. He refused it all but continue to growl at me about it. I eventually got so angry that I got up and left. I went and sat in the car. In the car, Ethan was miserable, crying and going on about how unfair everything is for him because we all ate in front of him and he got in trouble for it. Um, no, he got in trouble for being nasty toward me about it the entire time we were there. OMG! It was insane!

Bedtime was just as crazy. Sean took the boys upstairs at 9 to start getting them ready for bed, which Ethan started crying about again. I stayed downstairs with Dylan. Around 9:30 I went upstairs to find Sean asleep and Ethan and Kellen watching TV and running and jumping all over the place. I woke Sean up. He said he was going to turn the TV off and get them ready for bed at 9:30. Then why did he make them go upstairs at 9? I gave the boys hugs and kisses and Ethan started crying again! He said I was being mean because I wouldn't stay with him. I explained to him that someone had to stay with Dylan and that I couldn't sit in bed for 2 hours again while everyone squirmed and crawled all over the place. I went back downstairs with Dylan and they came down a little later to get snacks, which I could have sworn I heard Sean tell them to get before they went upstairs the first time. Ethan started crying again because I wasn't going upstairs with him. So, I agreed to go upstairs with them and Sean stayed downstairs with Dylan. Upstairs, Kellen started crying because he wanted Sean. Maybe 20 minutes later, Sean came up saying Dylan was fussy but the boys weren't asleep yet. I just couldn't win. I told Sean to please keep Dylan for just a few more minutes and he did. The boys were finally asleep maybe 10 minutes later. By now it was 10:30 so really not too late. I got up to get Dylan and he had just fallen asleep maybe 5 minutes before that. I took him to bed and sleep nursed him for a bit. This was finally what I was hoping for. Everyone was asleep and I could just lay down and go to sleep myself. Nope! Dylan woke up about 20 minutes later and would NOT go back to sleep for 2 hours!

I really don't get that. Ethan would wake often but he always went right back to sleep if I nursed him. Kellen was out once he was asleep and would only wake every few hours just enough to nurse and then go back to sleep. I don't understand why Dylan sleeps for about 20-30 minutes every night and then wakes up and wants to stay up for another 2 hours. He naps just fine during the day. He does it whether I'm in the bed next to him or not. I don't know what to do.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 AM

Ok - so I am not even going to try to catch up with ALL the personals lol.gif

Annie - yay for such a good price on a wrap! I hardly ever carry DD anymore. I might when the weather gets warmer, but I have *such* a bad back that it can cause serious problems. I used to carry her all the time when she was little though.

Akind1 - I bet you are so happy to have your own space. I can not even imagine sharing space with IL's. Especially with kids.

Carrie - sorry you guys are all sick :-( We all just got over a bad head cold, sore throat, horrible thing over here.

MW - yay for Sean being home! I bet it is crazy over there while everyone gets adjusted to him being home. Dylan sounds like a handful at night too. Maybe you could get something with chamomile and give it to him a little bit before bedtime? Or you could even take something yourself, but I'm  not sure if that would transfer all that well.

AFM - The time change totally sucked. I hate it. I am moving to AZ orngtongue.gif

My husband usually sleeps in another room/couch. We *did* have a whole other room with a bed that he never used, so I don't feel bad that we moved the baby into that room. She is basically still in the same room - we are only separated by a little bathroom that if I keep both doors open I can hear her just as well as if she was in my room BUT she doesn't hear me coming to bed, peeing all night, etc. It has been working out pretty good. She sleeps really well most nights, but when she has an off night it is HELL. 

But anyways - I don't really see the big deal in the husband sleeping somewhere else. He knows he is welcome in bed, and if he starts snoring or anything else I will poke him and he can go sleep somewhere else. If I have no little's I have to listen out for, I will go sleep on the couch. It seems like I usually have a baby though - and its not fair I have to lay there and not sleep because I am trapped. TMI warning, but it also doesn't affect our sex life at all - so maybe that is why neither of us mind much.

I took J to get a hearing test - and she can hear fine eyesroll.gif I kinda figured, but it is always nice to know you are right. It is almost like she has processing issues. For example:

Yesterday - I asked her to get the babies bottle (I was changing the baby) it is on the desk (I am pointing) she goes to the desk and tries to grab MY water bottle thing and I say no, the baby bottle (it is two inches away from my bottle) and she is just not seeing it even thought it is RIGHT THERE and I am explaining that it is right next to my bottle!!! Finally M from across the room just goes and grabs it for me..........I don't get what that is. I am going to ask her Speech Therapist when I go on Wed. 

Also, I was trying to file some of our important papers and I think J got the Hep B shot twice censored.gif I am so mad. It is bad enough I didn't know any better and gave it to her at birth, and then I STILL gave her two rounds of shots when I did realize how stupid hep B was AND SHE GOT ANOTHER HEP B ANYWAY!!!!! This is why I don't give my kids shots anymore Cuss.gif

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM

MW: what a horrid day (and night!) no advice to offer, only hugs. Norah doesn't always nurse to sleep, but usually falls asleep easily. Gabe always fell asleep nursing.

I am glad at least getting the older boys to bed worked sort of how you planned; if only D didn't wake up!

Carrie: hope Finn feels better soon!

We are so glad to be in our own space. Just need to work on getting everything organized.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

annie ~ J is 5? maybe it's just the age. Kellen is 4.5 and he does the same thing. i can tell him exactly where something is while pointing at it and he'll stand right in front of it looking around in circles. or, of course, different kids are different. it doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with them.

i sort of wonder if the time change had something to do with the craziness yesterday. the thing is that it doesn't really affect us since we don't get up at a set time. kwim? we didn't still get up at 9 even though it was really only 8. the boys actually slept really late yesterday morning. ethan's still sleeping now and it's after 11. shrug.gif

Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM

I think the time change just makes everyone feel "off".  I can't believe it's already almost 2 pm.  It doesn't feel like it to me, and it's unsettling.  I'm sure kids feel a little off, and plus having their Dad home is just so different that it's enough to make for some crazy shenannigans.

How long is Sean home for?

The routine book is completely out the window today b/c Finn is so sick.  Ugh, he's just miserable (but manageable).  He isn't taking long naps b/c once he stirs he realizes how stuffed up he is, and cries.  So I've been holding him for naps (which are only lasting 30-40 min) and he won't eat any solid food so it's all nursing all the time.  I'm so so thirsty!  I didn't realize how much he was eating until yesterday and today he's had basically nothing.  I started to eat a banana, and he whined for some, and even that tiny bit he ate he spit up almost right away.  So I'm just not going to offer anymore until he can actually breathe and chew at the same time.  He's swallowing so much mucus, I think that's what is going on.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM

MW, I would hazard a guess that your DH being home is creating some pretty confusing feelings for the boys. They are probably happy to see him but also concerned about when he's going to leave again. E seems so sensitive, I wouldn't be surprised if he's worried that he's going to get used to S being home just to have him leave again. And didn't you say recently that he's been gone more than he's been home for most of K's life? I'm sure K knows that's his dad but he probably doesn't know how he's supposed to feel about him. If you've never read it before, you might want to pick up Kids Parents and Power Struggles. It talks a lot about kids' feelings and how to validate them, even in situations where grownups typically don't want to do that because they are concerned about "planting" feelings in kids. It's a really good book. I need to reread it soon.

For the first time since DD has been born, we had a normal weekend at my house! I hadn't realized how crazy things had gotten but it was so nice to be back to our "normal". The kids came home Friday night and I was able to cook dinner. DD ate dinner with us and then I bathed her and she played with her brothers and sisters for bit and then I put her down to bed at 7 PM and was able to come out and hang out with the big kids and clean up, do laundry, etc. Then Saturday, I was able to do regular meals for the kids in between DD's naps, etc. It was so nice. Today though she hasn't been following the schedule she created for herself last week. I think she was sore this morning from the weekend. The big kids love to play with her and carry her around when they are home and I think it made her sore. She was grabbing at her incision scar this morning after her bath so I gave her some motrin and she seemed to settle down after that. She's also full on teething now, including runny nose. I need to get that teething necklace ordered tonight!

The wrap is 4.5M long I think, which when I looked on their site, was the right length for my size. So hopefully it works well. Oh and I found a lady selling a set of Flips practically brand new for $20. So I think after I get those, I will just pay full price for 1 dz GMD PFs because the total between the two would be what I was going to pay for a new set of Flips. I really like having some natural fiber dipes to use on DD. And I already have 5 medium covers so might as well use them.

Baby_Cakes, hope your DS feels better soon! I hate stuffy noses! DD is finally getting over the one she's had for the past month. So frustrating!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm sure some of the craziness has to do with Sean being home. It disrupts everything and none of knows exactly how to behave. Sean has to be CONUS for at least as long as he was deployed. However, that does not mean he will always be home. They can send him anywhere for as long as they want as long as it's in the continental US.

I have not read that book, Annie, but I have read a couple of others about validating feelings. I don't concern myself with planting feelings because my kids are really good at telling me if I get it wrong. lol.gif I did talk to Ethan about how he felt but in that moment he just wanted to be angry. I found out later he blamed me because he thought I talked Ryan into changing the place where he wanted to eat. Ryan had originally picked a steak restaurant that Ethan really liked but changed his mind and chose a seafood restaurant. Ethan overheard me tell Sean that I preferred the seafood place because we had just eaten at the exact same steak restaurant two nights before. So, Ethan blamed me.

Then Ethan got upset because everyone was eating in front of him. There was nothing I could do about that. I would have taken him home if I could have just because I was getting way too angry. But, like I said, I couldn't leave everyone else at the restaurant. Again, that was my fault because I refused to leave even though I had asked everyone before we ordered if they wanted to go somewhere else. Everyone else said they wanted to stay since we were already there and had been seated.

It was a bad restaurant. There wasn't much on the menu, which I was surprised by because it was pretty decent when it first opened. I think it doesn't get much business so they have had to change their menu and drop things from it. The service was horrible. Ryan didn't get his oysters on the half shell appetizer until after he had eaten his dinner entree even though they have a dedicated oyster bar with a dedicated oyster chef (if that's what they are called). I won't ever eat there again.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM

I've been so absent! Strings of good days and bad days. We had one more really good night with a 4 hour stretch, 3 hour stretch and then a 2 hour stretch... and now all of a sudden she's waking every hour at least, and absolutely shrieking to be nursed back to sleep, even though I know she's not hungry. She just won't calm enough for me to put her back to sleep any other way. By morning I'm so tired I can barely walk. We laid down for an early morning nap this morning, and I basically forced her to sleep for two hours, just didn't stop nursing her. It wasn't the best sleep, but I needed something! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

a wrap is just that, a long piece of fabric. have you ever used a Moby? you can wrap the same way with the wrap you have for front carries. on your back, there are a few ways to do it. I watched a lot of yutube to practice. There is obviously a learning curve, but it's completely doable.

I chose wraps, because I wanted Norah on my back at an early age, and wraps are really the only way to accomplish that. Ergos and other carriers really can't be used for back carries until baby is a bit older, at least 6 months I think.

Careful though, because stretchy wraps can be dangerous on the back once the baby isn't super light. 

We wear T in the mei tai on our backs, since about 2 months. At the babywearing meeting, she said pretty much from the time the baby can hold their head up, you should be able to do a back carry with almost anything. It's just a matter of making sure that they're supported properly-- which I can see being an issue depending on what you're using and how cooperative baby is. Speaking of-- it's funny to see Tenley learn what's happening when I put her on my back-- whereas the first few times she would fuss like crazy and try to arch her back (which is always good, when she's on mine and I can't hold her properly), so I couldn't get her seated in very well. Now, I'll swing her onto my back, and she'll giggle, and then put her arms up so she's kind of holding on to me, while I tie her in. Such a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

And maybe I'm just cheap but every time I look on DS to try to find a deal, everything there seems SO expensive for used diapers! Like $30 for a dz GMD PFs. They aren't that much more brand new! WTH?

That's what I found. It would be like... $3 cheaper to buy them used than new... didn't make sense!

Quote:

DD has started that very physical stuff when she's going to sleep. It's almost like she needs to wrestle a bit before she can settle down. I will attempt to hold/rock/bounce her while she squirms and fusses for a few minutes. Then I lay her down, she takes her bottle and goes to sleep. shrug.gif If I don't do the rocking stuff with her, she lays there and plays with her feet and flips around on the bed and won't settle down. I don't know what her deal is but as long as I do the rocking/wrestling thing for about five mins, she settles fine. 

T has started doing this! Not as much with actual activity, but tossing her head back and forth and being very vocal for about 20 minutes before bed. And then all of a sudden she'll be mid squack and just slump her head down. It's hilarious to watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
I put him in the cosleeper when he woke up at 8, sitting up b/c I was totally going to get up.  The next thing I knew I woke up to him chatting on his tummy, my door was shut, and it was 830.  LOL!  Nora had apparently gotten up, come into my room, saw I was sleeping and Finn was up, and went back into her room to play, shutting the door so she wouldn't wake us.  HA.  I had to laugh.

So adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post

Yesterday - I asked her to get the babies bottle (I was changing the baby) it is on the desk (I am pointing) she goes to the desk and tries to grab MY water bottle thing and I say no, the baby bottle (it is two inches away from my bottle) and she is just not seeing it even thought it is RIGHT THERE and I am explaining that it is right next to my bottle!!! Finally M from across the room just goes and grabs it for me..........I don't get what that is. I am going to ask her Speech Therapist when I go on Wed. 

Ugh. So frustrating. One of the girls I nannyed was like that. It's hard because you're trying to be supportive and understanding, but you know that she has full knowledge what you're talking about, and it gets hard to keep trying to put yourself in her shoes and be understanding. 

Quote:

The wrap is 4.5M long I think, which when I looked on their site, was the right length for my size. So hopefully it works well. Oh and I found a lady selling a set of Flips practically brand new for $20. So I think after I get those, I will just pay full price for 1 dz GMD PFs because the total between the two would be what I was going to pay for a new set of Flips. I really like having some natural fiber dipes to use on DD. And I already have 5 medium covers so might as well use them.

Yay for new diapers! And what a steal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

It was a bad restaurant. There wasn't much on the menu, which I was surprised by because it was pretty decent when it first opened. I think it doesn't get much business so they have had to change their menu and drop things from it. The service was horrible. Ryan didn't get his oysters on the half shell appetizer until after he had eaten his dinner entree even though they have a dedicated oyster bar with a dedicated oyster chef (if that's what they are called). I won't ever eat there again.

That sucks. We used to go out to eat a lot, and now it's a once every few months thing, so it really sucks when you're looking forward to it and it disappoints. 

I know you guys had talked about Sean's work schedule when he got back and him going back to work for a little bit before taking his full leave. Are you still able to do that? Maybe it'll help with the boys readjusting. 

Kat-- Great news about the move! What a relief that must be!

Us-- gah. So much going on it seems, but really... just life! Our new Babyhawk came. I'm loving it already. The mei tai I've been using was essentially WAHM made, and it's not great, plus it's small, so it was funny how different it felt the first time I put T in the BH, and her legs actually went where they were supposed to without me fiddling. We're trying to firm up details for the trip at the end of the month. I don't remember if I actually answered what it was for... anyways, it's a reunion for school. About a 6-7 hour drive. It sucks because the city it is in is very boring, aside from my friends that will be there. I wish it was somewhere more exciting, since it will be a stressful drive, and expensive hotel/food etc. Anyways, I'm trying to come up with a packing list for DD, and it's just growing and growing!!

I've been out 3 days in a row now for walks, and this whole week is supposed to be nice, so I'm going to keep trying. The stroller is amazing. My body-- not so much. I'm so horribly out of shape. I haven't lost any weight since about 6 weeks pp, and I swear my stomach is actually bigger than it was. I need to start some ab work, but it's so hard to find time when T isn't in my arms. 

Anyways, it's definitely time for bed. I stayed up a bit later to edit some photos since T is actually sleeping ok without me in the room. But now, it's time for me to sleep too!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 AM

Where to start: replies first I guess

JJ: I didn't mean use a moby for back carries, but the front carries you can do with a moby you can do with a woven, so if you know those, it's a good place to start.

And ITA you can do a mei tai on your back. I still wouldn't do and Ergo or Boba or SSC that way, because it is really hard to make baby be any higher in it; usually the default position for the bottom is at your waist or hips, and I think that is just too low for back carries, even if baby's head is well supported. But that might be because I'm so used to how high Norah is with a woven wrap on my back. A me tai you can far more easily have adusted to wear baby higher on your back comfortably I'd think, and with a few tricks you can wear those practically from birth. I am so glad you love your babyhawk! the pics on FB are adorable.

Booo for rough constantly nursing nights!  thankfully Norah has had very few of those.

MW: I hope this period of adjustment to Sean being home goes quickly and you can settle into a good routine family wise. I know that's tough. When he's home on a short break it's almost easier, because you can focus on making that time special and its a little easier to forgive the disruption. And you know that it will and when it will go back to normal. Longer, more permament stays are probably harder since you have to adjust to a new normal and who knows how long that will take?

Where was dinner? I will make sure to avoid it when we come visit in July! It obv wasn't Red Lobster!

AFU: we are settling in. It's such a relief to be in our own space. I can put things away and know where they are! If I don't feel like tidying up before bed, it's no big deal. (but I do have to do it sometime I realize) And being on just one floor makes so much of life with little ones a lot easier. Mom's birthday was yesterday and we went to a local Japanese restaurant. They do these lovely boats that have both cooked food - like Tempura and Teriyaki chicken/beef - as well as sushi on them. Gabe ate some of my sushi - mostly he likes the sushi rice - and decided to take a bite of the ball of Wasabi, about 1/2 of it. He looked a little surprised but didn't cry. or even ask for water. just moved on and kept eating other things. I was trying so hard not to laugh!

and the best part is, I get to go back to night, for a Mom's Night Out!  more sushi for me!

ETA: shock: first PP AF started this morning! I don't know how I feel about that. I guess I'm glad I have something to track now. OTOH, DH will be sad. this will be our longest dry spell since having Norah, LOL

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:

ETA: shock: first PP AF started this morning! I don't know how I feel about that. I guess I'm glad I have something to track now. OTOH, DH will be sad. this will be our longest dry spell since having Norah, LOL

Bummer!

And srsly?  Dude, Chris and I completely skipped Feb.  A whole month with nothing, no sexy time at all.  I just have NO drive, and when the kids have rough/late bedtimes, the days turn into weeks -- and apparently months.  Insane.  Good for you guys!  

I told DH bare minimum is 1X per month.  Any more than that is bonus.  lol.gif  And that's pathetic, but it's the best I can do right now!

I will use the Boba on my back, but idk when.  Right now I still use it as a front carrier b/c It's just impossible to get DS on there w/o help, and forget getting him off.  I couldn't do it while out.  NBD since he rides in shopping carts now.  For a longer excursion, I'd have help so the point is moot.

Yum Sushi!!  I wonder if kids palates can't pick up the heat in the wasabi?  Or maybe he just gulped it down and didn't have time to taste it?  LOL too funny!!

I started giving Finn pulsatilla yesterday for his cold and am going to continue today.  It seems to be helping.  We slept with the humidfier on full blast last night, it was like sleeping in the jungle in my room.  My hair is completely frizzed out and everything in there is damp, lol.  But!  Wasn't a terrible night with wakeups by any means.  He slept from about 9-12 on his own in his bed, then I brought him in with me.  

I'm going to end up jinxing it, but 50% of the time, when he stirs, he finds his thumb.  The other 50% he nurses.  I think I only nursed him 2 times last night.  I hope hope hope that means he's on the mend!  This morning he's runny/sneezy still.

We're going to try to get to whole foods today.  I haven't had creamer for my coffee in over a week!  DH was appalled that I would run all the way to WF for creamer, but I compared it to him not being able to have his good whiskey.  You could drink other things but it's just not the same.  I really just want a good cup of coffee!  I'm sure I can find more stuff to buy there, anyways.winky.gif

Anyone else have a pinterest board?  Am I following you guys?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM

IDK, but our sex life is the best its ever been since Norah. as long as Gabe is asleep and Norah is either happy playing or asleep, we have been good at making time. I havent ever had a diminished drive. DH has in the past and that sucked.

the wasabi stayed on his tongue for a long time. but he didnt try it again! 

Glad the pulsatilla is helping, i tried tumeric at the suggestion of an Indian friend with Gabe and it also seemed to help.

We will have whole foods later this year, I am so excited!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Glad the pulsatilla is helping, i tried tumeric at the suggestion of an Indian friend with Gabe and it also seemed to help.

How did you do tumeric??  Did you add it to food I guess?

Yay for getting a whole foods!

I'm actually showered before noon today (holy crap) and Nora is already dressed, too.  I got her a chore chart with little magnet stickers and it's really motivating her so far to do her "chores".  I hope the novelty lingers, lol.  

JJ was it you who mentioned belly flab?  I can't recall.  Anyhow - whoever it was - I HEAR IT.  I've been stuck at 140 for like a little over a month.  I am really trying to fit more running into my week.  I hope I can get the last of this weight off, and the rest of these inches, by summer.  I'm so over it!!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 AM

I am going to try to keep up this time!! lol.gif   I have never really tried to do a back carry. I put her in my mei tai a couple times on my back, but it just wasn't happening. I would have to practice alot more to be able to do it comfortably. I might practice so I can do it this summer.

The good news about having a baby who doesn't like to nurse means I have *never* had one of those long nursing nights with A. Some nights I would nurse her more than others, but the nights I nursed more are probably one of your guys GOOD nights! LOL

RE: J

I am pretty sure it is her age/personality. It doesn't help that I feel guilty about giving her the vaccines. I know it may or may not be in my head, but my two kids who have never seen a needle with the evil vaccine's seem to be waaaaaay smarter and more sharp than my two who have. I am sure my guilt makes it seem worse, but still orngtongue.gif

Ugh - last night A did not want to go to bed. She kept me up until 11:20 (which is technically only 10:20 to her still) and I am sooooo tired today.

Did I tell you ladies that since I started trying to regulate my blood sugar with a better diet I lost like 10-12 pounds?!? I am down to 118ish. I had no idea that could still happen lol.gif I got chia seeds, because they are supposed to be a really good way to stabilize blood sugar, and I have chia gel and some chia in water in the fridge.........hopefully it doesn't taste to bad. 

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

kat ~ bummer about AF. how old is norah now, about 6 months?

still no AF here for me. i do get cramps and copious amounts of what appears to be fertile CF every so often but nothing else. My lower abdomen on my left side only was very tender for a couple of days right after Sean got home. I wondered if it could have been a cyst. It's better now. It will be interesting to see if I get AF in a couple of weeks.

I guess that means we are not safe to DTD completely unprotected, not that that's happening anyway. I was laying in bed last night thinking about that. Sean hasn't made any indication that he's interested at all. He's never been the initiator but he usually says something if we go too long and he has always made it clear that he wanted sex after returning from a deployment. I'd do it if he initiated but I'm not going to start anything. I'm being stubborn and refuse to bring it up because I'm tired of having to ask about and initiate everything that has to do with our relationship.

The restaurant is Tony's on Western in the Target shopping area. We're all sick of Red Lobster. I think that's why Ryan wanted to try Tony's. Oh well. I'm a very picky eater. There aren't many restaurants around here where I can find something to eat. I don't like Cracker Barrel or Olive Garden or Chilis or Ruby Tuesday. Even Applebee's menu sucks now. Nothing to eat. Logan's steakhouse, which we ate at for the first time in the 6 years we've lived here on Friday night, was actually pretty good. The boys liked it because they had peanuts on the table. Kellen didn't even order a meal. He just ate peanuts and bread. lol.gif He was so happy they had peanuts in the shell that he could crack and eat and throw the shells on the floor. He wanted me to buy some at the grocery store but I wouldn't because I knew they'd be a huge mess.

No pinterest account here. I don't get what that's for. Is it just to look at pictures?

Sean is working sort of half days this week. He has to go in every morning for various post-deployment workups and debriefings. It's actually easier when we know he's home for a while rather than just a short visit. A short visit is way too disruptive, especially when everyone wants to be on vacation and expects the other person to do everything.

next week he checks out of his current unit and back into his previous unit. then he's taking leave but we have to go to New Hampshire. His grandfather is dying and in hospice care at home. Sean wants to see him one last time. Which brings me to something that really pissed me off.

Sean's dad and sister live in Connecticut, only a 2.5-3 hour drive from where we'll be in New Hampshire. Sean sent them a text asking if they would come up to see us while we are there. His sister said she would but his dad said, and I quote, "No, but thanks for asking." This man has only seen Ethan once when he was 2.5yo and we stopped to see him on our trip here from Hawaii. He has never seen Kellen or, obviously, Dylan. He has told Sean several times over the years that he's coming to visit and then cancels, saying he can't get away from work, but then the next thing Sean knows he's off on another trip with his wife. He has never once come to see Sean before or after he has been on deployment even though there has always been a chance Sean wouldn't come home alive. what parent wouldn't make every effort to see his child in such a situation? my parents make more of an effort to see Sean and check on him when he's away. it's not a money thing because the man is a millionaire.

And that's the only answer we get?! No explanation or, "I really wish I could see you all. I miss and love you all." Nothing. I'm over it and I'm over him. Sean says it's all because his wife says she can't accept us as part of the family so FIL is choosing her over his own children and grandchildren. As far as I'm concerned, he's not part of our family anymore. I won't speak to him. I'm going to delete him from my FB friends. When he calls or sends an email asking what the boys want for birthdays or Christmas, I'm going to say, "Nothing, but thanks for asking." If he sends anything, I'm going to return it unopened.

On another note, I didn't sleep very well last night even though Dylan slept a little better. He fell asleep around 11 and stayed asleep for the most part. He was squirmy and restless so that I only slept from about 1:30 to 3:30 and then not again until around 5 am. After that he probably woke me every hour or so. But at least he didn't really wake and try to get up.

I have a lot more to say but this is already really long so I'll try to wait a while and make another post.redface.gif

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM

I forgot:

Our sex life has always been the same. 2x a week at the least, and also usually the max. I have never really had a sex drive........I don't mind it, but I don't crave it much either. I think he would rather I initiate it more, but as long as he is getting it - it doesn't really matter. 

Most of the time, I will pretty much tell him to just get it over with if I am not into it. I think that is the main problem with most people who have varying sex drives. They think they have to be in the mood, or enjoy it, or have it last 1 hour. I don't. It makes me happy to satisfy him, and if I am ever in the mood - I do it better! ha ha ha

Anyways - waaaaay TMI and probably should be taken to the sex board! LOL

What is pulsatilla? 

Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

RE: J

I am pretty sure it is her age/personality. It doesn't help that I feel guilty about giving her the vaccines. I know it may or may not be in my head, but my two kids who have never seen a needle with the evil vaccine's seem to be waaaaaay smarter and more sharp than my two who have. I am sure my guilt makes it seem worse, but still

Let go of your guilt. I would guess it has more to do with personality than vaccines and I'm very anti-vax. Comparing my kids, Ryan was fully vaxed up until age 12. That means he had the full series of all vaxes but didn't get any boosters. That was starting back in 1991 so there weren't nearly as many. That was back in the day when most kids still got natural chicken pox rather than a vax for it. Ethan was fully vaxed, including the hep B at birth, through 4 months. Kellen has never had any vaxes or other meds except abx once when he was around 2 for MRSA. Ryan and Kellen are my wild and crazy ADHD kids who barrel through life without noticing anything around them. Ethan is my quiet, perceptive kid who seems to notice every little detail.

I've been stuck fluctuating between 125 and 127 the last month or so. That's not bad considering it's about 10 lbs. lighter than I weighed when I got pg with Dylan. But my stomach looks huge, too, like I'm still 5-6 months pg. It's very round and bloated looking. Some ab exercises might help some but the best way to get a flat tummy is to do cardio to lose that extra fat and stabilize your core. Just doing crunches will make the muscles underneath stronger and bigger, which could actually make your stomach look bigger.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:

What is pulsatilla? 

Homeopathics.  I thought you were big on them?  Who is it that's big on them?  Someone on here...darn I can't recall. 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=pulsatilla&ix=seb&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1214&bih=635&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17110520514790015192&sa=X&ei=mV5fT5KINsHg0QHFv5TEDg&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAg

I can't imagine 2x a week.  I can't even fathom once a week!  My goodness, I need to get out of my rut.

Quote:

I've been stuck fluctuating between 125 and 127 the last month or so. That's not bad considering it's about 10 lbs. lighter than I weighed when I got pg with Dylan. But my stomach looks huge, too, like I'm still 5-6 months pg. It's very round and bloated looking. Some ab exercises might help some but the best way to get a flat tummy is to do cardio to lose that extra fat and stabilize your core. Just doing crunches will make the muscles underneath stronger and bigger, which could actually make your stomach look bigger.

Agreed.  

I will start doing squats tho, to firm things up and to strengthen my core/pelvic floor.  In addition to the running/walking tho.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Let go of your guilt. I would guess it has more to do with personality than vaccines and I'm very anti-vax. Comparing my kids, Ryan was fully vaxed up until age 12. That means he had the full series of all vaxes but didn't get any boosters. That was starting back in 1991 so there weren't nearly as many. That was back in the day when most kids still got natural chicken pox rather than a vax for it. Ethan was fully vaxed, including the hep B at birth, through 4 months. Kellen has never had any vaxes or other meds except abx once when he was around 2 for MRSA. Ryan and Kellen are my wild and crazy ADHD kids who barrel through life without noticing anything around them. Ethan is my quiet, perceptive kid who seems to notice every little detail.

Thanks - I really need too. She does have that type of personality. Kind of the "if someone else can do it for me, why should I have too?" LOL But the example of the cup was one time where she really WAS trying, and it still just wasn't happening!

I have never had stomach issues. I have butt/thigh issues. However, I have heard good things about this:

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-491R-Waist-Trimmer/dp/B000UVVX28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331650586&sr=8-1    (not necessarily the brand, just the product)

and I got the thigh version of it. I can tell you that after I work out that thing is soaked with water/sweat or something. I don't measure myself, but I am betting it helps get rid of some inches and is probably the best way to *localize* a problem area. 

Tags
Baby
User Tag List