What did your summer baby sleep in?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are expecting our second in the middle of July.  We plan on using a co-sleeping bassinet, then bed-sharing once baby has more head control.  We do have a/c, but have an older home which stays rather warm upstairs.  Our room averages 75-78 degrees, and a bit cooler when we have the windows open.  Let's assume no bedsharing right now, as I have a co-sleeper bassinet, but may change my mind depending on baby's needs.

What should I plan on baby sleeping in?  DS was a fall baby, so I just bundled him up in layers (onesie, footie pajamas), then a flannel swaddling blanket.  But now I'm worried about baby being too warm instead of too cold.  Is just a onesie enough if she'll be swaddled?

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#2 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM

My baby was born in late April, and we were still swaddling her through the summer. We used one of those knit cotton swaddle wraps, but I think the muslin swaddle blankets are even cooler. Usually she was just in a onesie, sometimes not anything but a diaper. She did sleep in a crib, though, so body heat from us wasn't a factor. We also ran a fan and air conditioning (because I was paranoid about her overheating)--we kept the AC at about 72, if I remember correctly. Maybe 73.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#3 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Just a shirt or a onesie. And a diaper wink1.gif

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#4 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM

DS was born in July, he just wore a thin cotton onsie most of the time.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#5 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM

I had three summer babies.  One was in a heat wave with no a/c....she obviously slept in just her diaper. ;)  The other two wore light-weight sleepers to bed, as we're now a/c users.  I swaddled the baby, who slept in a co-sleeper for a week or so before graduating to sleeping in bed with me.  At that point, baby sometimes got stripped out of the sleeper in the middle of the night if it got too warm.  Usually, though, the light sleeper was fine as we sleep with a light blanket in the summer.

#6 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS1 was a July baby. He just wore a onseie and snuggled with me. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Our June babies slept in a diaper and a wrap shirt, swaddled.

#8 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM

DS was born mid august.  He would sleep in light material/cotton jammies and a swaddler.  He slept either in the cosleeper or the swing.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 AM

My DD was born in late August and it was ferociously hot for the next two months.  She slept with us, wearing just a onesie most of the time, and swaddled only if it wasn't sweltering.  Usually I'd swaddle her in the middle of the night when it got cooler.

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#10 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM

DD was born the end of July but we keep it fairly cool in our house so she was usually in a short-sleeve onesie and cotton pants. When I swaddled her, I used the muslin swaddling blankets. She would get sweaty if swaddled in the flannel swaddling blankets.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page