Developmental delays and eczema - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone btdt with eczema? I'm worried about delays in development with Dd. her eczema keeps us from giving her tummy time so I'm worried she's not going to get the opportunity to develop the muscles and coordination required for crawling. She also has a paci in her mouth most of the day because it helps distract her from her constant itching. So, not only am I worried about her getting used to having a paci in her mouth all the time, but she doesn't get to babble much. She used to coo all the time And was such a happy and talkative baby, but not so much anymore greensad.gif. Am I just being paranoid? Any suggestions on how I can help remedy the situation ( besides get rid of the eczema... Ugh!)

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Babywearing! It strengthens baby's core muscles, give vestibular stimulation, and is great for fine and gross motor skill development. Plus baby gets to spend time close to the person she loves. Oops, I see that do wear baby in your signature.

To avoid the tummy positions, perhaps try kangaroo carry, facing out (I know controversial), hip carry (so long it doesn't bother her tummy).

As per talking and the paci, I am of no help here.

#3 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My DD had developmental delays due to eczema. She didn't try to crawl or sit up because she was too busy scratching, she looked like she was being attacked by a swarm of invisible bees, it was awful. But this kind of delay is different from a delay for no apparent reason, once her eczema was more under control she caught up at an alarming rate.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#4 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM

i am so sorry to hear about your little darling's struggles... have you tried giving her some probiotics and maybe a little bit of udo's 3-6-9 oil?

my ds - 6 months - started having eczema after his 2 and 4 month old shots (that was before i started doing any kind of research on vaccines, and i feel terrible about it now). it started as a tiny dot on the back of his legs, then quickly spread to his entire legs, arms and recently it appeared on his belly too.

one week ago, after a lot of research, i've started him on baby probiotics and very little udo's oil (or, if you're breastfeeding, you could take it yourself and it will pass into your milk). i have also made a very simple lotion with the 3-6-9 oil, shea butter and a little organic beeswax, that i use on him at least once a day. his skin dramatically improved in less than 2 days, and now, about a week later, is almost eczema free. :)

i'm thinking that even if your dd's condition is worse than my son's, this regimen could do no harm.

also, sometimes there is a link between eczema and food allergies (some wise mamas here could help you out on this matter more that i do).

good luck mama!

#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Hello,

Our son is almost 19 months and has got issues with language and walking. He had severe eczema needing powerful steroid creams for a while. Thankfully it is now sorted. I am wondering that was contributory for his developmental issues? We are plannning to see a paediatrician as well.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page