Dealing with a biter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughters are nine months old (nearly) and have just started to bite me. Especially when they're feeling tired. They bite a little bit of skin from my leg or shoulder or arm and really chomp down on it. I yelp, because it really hurts, and say "no biting". And then, if possible, set down the baby who has bit me. Sometimes they think this is very funny, and sometimes they scream and cry. I don't want to be funny. I don't want to be mean, I just want to not get bitten. I can sometimes predict it and keep them from hurting me, but I hate being afraid of my children. I hate that I get alarmed shivers up and down my spine whenever I nurse them. I don't want to feel that way every time I pick them up.

Any suggestions?

This is different from the biting they do when nursing, which we're still working through.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Unfortunately I think you are doing all you can.

Married to my favorite person (together since '01, married since '05), the hapa papa to my queeuty quapa DD, born 10/11.

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper, don't vax and intend to nurse for a good long time.  

I don't care what you do as long as it works for your family.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are in the same boat.  My son is 10 months old and doing the same.  I suspect that it's a phase - teething compounded by a lack of being able to communicate.  We are trying to introduce more signs, especially the one for tired, but haven't made much progress on it, yet.

I hope they grow out of it. 

*hugs*, mama.

Wife to DH hat.gif (8/1/09), Mom to DS jog.gif (4/28/11) and DD energy.gif(6/16/12).

Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM

just chiming in to commiserate. my 7.5mo has six teeth, and is doing the same thing. she even gives the same response -- either a laugh or tears/screaming -- when i correct her. i've been giving her a chew toy to hold onto while i rock her to sleep. it helps (sometimes), especially with encouragement to bite it instead of me.

hang in there.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM

My daughter will grab my hand, pull my finger into her mouth and bite. She's been doing it for months. I realized a while back that it is her saying that she is frustrated my lack of understand and she wants a bottle. So far, giving her one stops it. Do you all think there is a reason, or they are just playing? 

FTM, DD (09/17/11), trying to find our perfect balance between commercial and crunchy

Tags
Baby
User Tag List