Flat head - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 month old son is developing a flat spot and I noticed that he always sleeps with his head in the same position, no matter how I position him in the crib. He's getting 20-30 mins of tummy time a day, plus jumperoo. Any suggestions for rounding him out? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM

My babies were tummy sleepers so that's the only way I can think of to avoid a flat head. Sheepish.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM

My pediatrician suggests babies spend half their awake time on their tummys. This was not possible for my son, since he absolutely HATED tummy time. His head is still pretty flat, but it's rounding out slowly. His Dr. wanted to put him in one of those helmets, but I refused. I researched it and found that mild flatness is common, not dangerous and usually works itself out as the baby begins to spend more time sitting up. Apparently extreme flatness is rare and is only a cosmetic issue.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! Glad to know things are going well with your son and he's "rounding out." My guy HATES tummy time too. Hope he rounds out once he starts sitting. 

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 AM

Hi

I had exactly the same problem.  My son always faced the same way when lying down no matter how many times I turned his head.  I would really recommend a flat head pillow, these take the pressure of the head so even if he continues to lie on that side at least it will reduce the pressure and give it chance to round out, this definitely helped my son's head, which is now lovely and round.  We also used a sleep positioner which was great.

Your son is young enough that if you do repositioning plus a flat head pillow has a very good chance of rounding out.

Have a look at http://babyflathead.co.uk which has lots of useful tips including advice on which flat head pillow and sleep positioner to get, as they vary a lot in effectiveness and safety.

Hope this helps.

Rainster

Tags
Baby
User Tag List