my dd hates diaper changes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My dd is almost 9 months old. She dislikes being put on her back, and wiggles nonstop whenever I change her diaper or even put clothes on her. In hot weather (where we usually live), it's not as bad-- I just let her go without a shirt. Now we're visiting my parents, it's winter, and putting a few layers on her is such a challenge! She always cries, arches her back, tries to roll over and stand, when I change her diaper. She's been doing this for a couple of months now, but it's gotten worse as of late since she's always wants to be on her feet.

What could I do to make diaper changing and wearing clothes more pleasant for her? 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#2 of 16 Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This sounds like my girl (and my son when he was that age!).  For my son we hung a soft baby mirror on the wall next to the changing area that has dangling, rattling toys attached to it.  It's the only time he got to see that toy, so it was a "treat" for him to get a moment to play with it during changes.  Of course, he was still wiggly and squirmy, but it bought us a few extra seconds ;-)  We'll be doing something similar for my daughter soon, too.  We also made up a silly song with our son's name in it that we'd sing at diaper time.  It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, just something fun and engaging that is saved special for that time.

To help out further, can you simplify her wardrobe a little?  Perhaps invest in few easy one-pieces that zip up quickly and don't go over her head (my daughter hates that part!).  We found zippered fleece one-pieces to be the way to go in the winter.  If you can find footed ones, you even get to skip trying to get socks on kicking feet!  Maybe put aside shirts that snap at the crotch for a while, if those are time consuming to put on a wiggler.  Place her on your lap for putting on socks or outer layers?  If you use cloth diapers, do you have the option to swap out some snapping diapers for velcro tabbed diapers?

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 16 Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Zippy suits are awesome, both footed and non-footed. I will often hand a rattly toy to the baby I'm trying to diaper as a few-second distraction. Or, in a pinch, get someone else to come hold the baby and talk to her while I fasten the diaper.

#4 of 16 Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM

can you change her on the floor? change pee diapers while she's standing up? zipper footie one piece clothes are a great idea, as is putting socks/sweatshirts/sweaters on her while she's playing or sitting on your lap.

good luck!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#5 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM

i had a similar mirror thing and it worked great then after they got big enough to sit up and grab it i turned to a great trick, i have basket of thing that thy dont usually get to play with but looove to, i hand them one for each change. rinsed out empty shampoo bottles, empty tubes of toothpaste both go over huge! getting to hold a diaper of their own while i put on theirs often works well too.

i learned that regular toys did not work nearly as well, the allure of the off limits stuff was the jackpot!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 16 Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for these suggestions! So far, dh has always been around to help me with putting clothes on dd. She always struggles and we have to entertain her while changing. We use cloth diapers but when it's cold out I give up and just use disposables. I am, unfortunately, neither skilled nor quick enough to change her on my lap!

Luckily, summer is approaching so we can do with fewer pieces of clothing! She outgrows clothes so quickly I'm trying to avoid buying anything new and making do with what we have... I didn't realize it would be such a challenge just dressing her, lol!

#2 due December 2014!
#7 of 16 Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For changes when you're out & about, get some bubble gum. My babies cooperated for changes if I was blowing/popping bubbles for them :) I also have a little porcelain mouse that I let them hold during changes... obviously not a good toy & they weren't allowed to run around with it, so they were thrilled to get to touch the breakable thing for a few minutes. Just make sure it's not so delicate that she could break it with her hands.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#8 of 16 Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM

My daughter hates to be on her back too...she's almost 6 months, so a little younger. We recently just mastered putting on a tshirt while sitting up so that helps. Also, me figuring out what kinds of clothes I like to put her in. Shirts (not onesies) and stretchy pants or leg warmers with socks work really well for us. I've found that minimizing snaps and buttons helps a lot because I can dress her faster with a minimum of fuss. Legwarmers are great because you don't have to take them off for diaper changes. And I found some REALLY cute ones :)

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#9 of 16 Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I love leg warmers for my dd too!

I'm still terrible with pants though. Thank goodness it's getting warm enough out that we can do without pants and sweaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainface View Post

My daughter hates to be on her back too...she's almost 6 months, so a little younger. We recently just mastered putting on a tshirt while sitting up so that helps. Also, me figuring out what kinds of clothes I like to put her in. Shirts (not onesies) and stretchy pants or leg warmers with socks work really well for us. I've found that minimizing snaps and buttons helps a lot because I can dress her faster with a minimum of fuss. Legwarmers are great because you don't have to take them off for diaper changes. And I found some REALLY cute ones :)

#2 due December 2014!
#10 of 16 Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM

I hear you... We had such a lovely warm day today here and I just took off Little's socks so she couldn't rip them off and fling them away on our walk whistling.gif

#11 of 16 Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgWhat could I do to make diaper changing and wearing clothes more pleasant for her?

#12 of 16 Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

lol, my dd always pulled off her socks and hats! 

Quote:

I hear you... We had such a lovely warm day today here and I just took off Little's socks so she couldn't rip them off and fling them away on our walk whistling.gif

#2 due December 2014!
#13 of 16 Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM

She hasn't figured out pulling off hats yet, but I can feel it coming. Little monkey loves to go to work on her socks though. Pulls them off, chews on them, and then tosses them when they're all soggy!

#14 of 16 Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel412 View Post

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgWhat could I do to make diaper changing and wearing clothes more pleasant for her?

Isabel, is there any way you can simplify the process? I know for us, it was a matter of making it as easy-peasy and simple as possible. There are a lot of little girl clothes that are ADORABLE, but not all of them are comfy. Like I was saying, I went with stretchy, simple, no buttons or snaps, no onesies, no little suits that need to be snapped up the legs. The faster I can make diaper changes, and the easier I can make clothes changes, the happier Little is...

#15 of 16 Old 04-20-2012, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

I change her on the floor or bed, and use whatever toys or things lying around that would distract her for a few seconds! So glad I didn't get a changing table now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

can you change her on the floor? change pee diapers while she's standing up? zipper footie one piece clothes are a great idea, as is putting socks/sweatshirts/sweaters on her while she's playing or sitting on your lap.

good luck!

#2 due December 2014!
#16 of 16 Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Totally agree with this! I didn't think of this before. Now when I shop for clothes for dd, I look first for clothing that would be easy to put on and take off. Simple shorts with elastic bands and pull-on tops (making sure the head and sleeves can be put on easily). 

Quote:

Isabel, is there any way you can simplify the process? I know for us, it was a matter of making it as easy-peasy and simple as possible. There are a lot of little girl clothes that are ADORABLE, but not all of them are comfy. Like I was saying, I went with stretchy, simple, no buttons or snaps, no onesies, no little suits that need to be snapped up the legs. The faster I can make diaper changes, and the easier I can make clothes changes, the happier Little is...

#2 due December 2014!

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page