2 month old's bedtime? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so my 9 week old has been going to bed with us at around 10pm after a big feeding, and sleeping soundly until about 4 or 5am. he is appearing to be more and more tired in the evenings - so my question is, when does a baby around this age start to go to bed earlier? i'm thinking i can put him to bed around 8 instead of 10 and he will sleep until 2 or so? just wondering with mom's who have been here before - when does bedtime get earlier? 

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

#2 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 AM

DS started to go to bed earlier around 3 months.  It was a gradual change though. I would spend a few days getting him to bed about 15 minutes earlier than he had been (so if he went to bed at 11 I would spend a few days getting him to bed at 10:45).  Sometimes it would be 30 minutes earlier.  Enjoy him sleeping so well! Mine did that till about 3 or 4 months and he is a year now and still wakes up frequently throughout the night.

#3 of 5 Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 PM

my LO naturally did his longest sleep starting at around 9 from about day 1 (i know i'm lucky!). at about 6 weeks i made a conscious decision to do bedtime routine (long diaper change, a belly rub and a big feed) at 8pm. this seemed to work well enough until last month (he was about 3 months old by then) he was tired long before 8. so, one night i said ok, 7pm bedtime. and he just did it! i usually have to go back about an hour after he's gone down for the night to nurse him or comfort hum, but then he sleeps until about midnight. 

i've been lucky in the sense that my LO has always seemed to know when nighttime is, and that night time is for sleeping. so i've never had to 'train' him into a earlier bedtime. 

so that's my experience.

hope that helps. good luck!

#4 of 5 Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 PM

I'm so jealous.....my 10 week old doesn't even sleep a long enough stretch to call it bedtime/nighttime. He nurses every hour usually....mostly comforting sucking but still sucking nonetheless! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#5 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input! last night i put him to bed when he got tired after a big feeding at around 9/9:30, and he ended up waking up at 1:30 and and then again after that. not sure it was related to the earlier bedtime - but i can say it makes me want to stick to the 10pm to 530am scenario!

and although my LO is a good sleeper so far, i know that things can change at any moment! :) and i really really swear by swaddling. we only swaddle at night which helps signal bedtime for him, but i know that when he stirs in the middle of the night, not having his hands up to startle him helps a ton. i know it would keep him up because i see it happen during naps sometimes. 

homebirth.jpg intactlact.gif love of DH and mama to DS born 1/12

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page