babies with reflux - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My lo is 6 weeks old.  My midwife identified reflux when she came for our 2 week check up... she was spitting up a bit and we could hear the milk in her upper respiratory tract.  Luckily, it didn't seem to bother her too much.  She has been mostly a mellow baby. I took a few precautions- positioned her more upright while feeding (I also have some oversupply), and don't lift her bum real high when I change her.

However, in the past week she has been a lot fussier.  In the past couple days have been pretty full on "colic"  Almost inconsolable crying a lot of the day.  She is very uncomfortable after she eats.  It is so hard to be with her knowing she is in so much discomfort. The weird thing is that she is sleeping great once I get her to sleep.  Slept 6.5 hours last night.  Fell asleep on an errand in car seat and is still sleeping there 3 hours later- and usually she HATES the car sleep unless we are in the car moving.

I did some more research and decided to eliminate dairy.

I am considering medication, but wondering... could this pass quickly?  Is this a mild case? Is it the kind of thing where there are good days and bad days or are we headed for screaming all day and no sleep every night? Are there other things I could be doing that don't involve medication?

#2 of 4 Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 PM

I'll chime in here.....my ds is now 4 months old and had terrible reflux.  We were afraid to even hold him upright after a feeding for at least a half an hour.  I told his pediatrician and she asked if he was fussy before or after the spit up.  He wasn't, so there didn't seem to be a concern.  She told me that the valve that keeps stuff in your stomach doesn't work yet in babies and that it will get better with time, so I never considered doing anything about it.  Now at 4 months I can say that he is definitely better.  He'll have a little bit come out of his nose now and then if he hiccups, but nothing else.  I'm wondering if the fussiness is coinciding with that difficult newborn stage they all seem to go through.  It gets pretty bad between 6-8 weeks and then gradually gets better.  To treat the fussiness, we gave our son Gripe Water and we also tried Hyland's colic tabs.  Both are homeopathic.  I didn't like the water because he seemed to choke on it and hated the taste.  The tabs dissolved immediately in his mouth.

My first ds was very fussy the first 3 months and things just seemed to work themselves out after that.  I did lots of research and spoke to his doctor and didn't find any answers.  I eliminated all dairy and caffeine for 4 months, hoping it would get better sooner.  Not sure if it helped or if his digestive system just matured enough to handle stuff.

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#3 of 4 Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response- that is a good point. It could very well be just regular fussiness due to age. Especially since the reflux hadn't bothered her in the past.  Being a first time mom, it is so hard to know what is normal. And I guess there really isn't a normal anyway.

I'm going to take her to the doctor tomorrow just to have the process started in case we need to intervene later.  

I have some gripe water, but it is just herbal, not homeopathic.   I think I will look for a different brand.

#4 of 4 Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post

I have some gripe water, but it is just herbal, not homeopathic.   I think I will look for a different brand.

Aaaah...sorry about that.  The Hyland's colic tabs are homeopathic.  :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page