Crawling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9.5 month old is not crawling. He's not getting his knees under him or his butt up in the air at all. He doesn't army crawl or scoot on his butt while he sits. He sits great and spins around while sitting and also spins around when he's on his belly. He's like a little top.

I wear him but he gets lots of time on his belly. He has even been sleeping on his belly for 5 months. When i try to tempt him in to crawling with a toy he tries to reach for it a few times and gives up. He will just play with his fingers or a speck of dirt instead.

I always thought that babies kind of went through stages before they crawled. Getting on their hands and knees, Rocking back and forth.... Is that always the case. Is it possible he will just start crawling very suddenly? Any other advice would be great too. I know some babies don't crawl but i am hoping he **** might.
#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Not all babies crawl (I think it's like 6%) and it's important to remember that crawling IS NOT a developmental milestone.  In many cultures it isn't safe for babies to be on the floor and they go from being carried to walking.

In my case, our baby did start to commando crawl around 7 months.  We thought that she'd hands and knees crawl soon after that.  She didn't.  Then one day just after she turned 10 months, she crawled out of the room on all fours in the most casual manner possible.  She never got up on all fours, never rocked back and forth, or tried to move backwards.  So yes, they can just master a skill without any of the lead up.

But since you did want to encourage crawling, I'd say keep on doing what you're doing.  I wanted her to crawl, too, and I'd put things on the floor for her to play with and she'd roll and spin everywhere.  She started to reach for things, then wouldn't move forward, and then would roll to them.  She then got a little more frustrated when things were close, but not close enough, and didn't really want to do a big roll.  One day, she just commando crawled.  It wasn't for an object.  It was for me!  She wanted to come to me and not lose sight of me, and somehow she figured out how to push her feet and pull her arms at the same time.

DW and I are moms to two teens (DD 17 and DS 15) adopted through CAS in 2007 and a toddler (DD 2) born at home in March 2011.

#3 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Will continue to encourage the crawling. I think I'm going to start helping him roll to a toy so he makes the connection that he can move his body and get to something.
#4 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM

My DS just started crawling at exactly 10 months. And no, he never really did the "rocking back and forth" thing either. He would occasionally get on all fours, then just flop right back down. But mostly he just never liked being on his tummy at all. Plus he just isn't a super active baby and we think he just wasn't all that motivated to crawl. He is very advanced with his fine motor skills and would rather sit there stacking blocks and looking at books than go racing around the room. (I've read this in one of my books too -- that their personality is a big part of what determines how soon they roll over, crawl, walk, etc.)

When he finally started crawling, it's like he just decided "oh okay, I guess I'll try this now" and started doing it. So don't worry, he'll probably just surprise you one day!

Mommy to a sweet baby boy 4.22.2012 novaxnocirc.gif Expecting a September surprise 9.22.2012!

#5 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

I can speak to this because my almost 11 month old and I just got back from an evaluation with our early intervention agency. She is not crawling either. She does do some butt-scooting, but only rolls intermittently and HATES being on her tummy.

Anyway, if you are concerned, it might be worth it to get in touch with the early intervention people in your area (I called mine at our pediatrician's suggestion). The visit was super helpful. The verdict? On target or ahead in every area except gross motor, where she is just delayed enough to qualify for services. We will be getting home visits from a PT. The people who did the evaluation were extremely nice and helpful.

The big takeaway I got in our case was that she doesn't have any muscle problems, per se, she just hasn't figured out how to use them all. She has become used to us putting her in a sitting position (since she sits so well on her own and is so content to play like that) and helping her. In the words of the PT "learned helplessness is easy at this age." So our "homework" is to put her on her tummy whenever possible and find ways to encourage her to be more comfortable that way. We are also to help her with her transitions from sitting to lying down, etc.--we are not to do anything for her, but guide her to understand the movement sequences. SInce she's not THAT delayed ,they said it could well be just a matter of two or three visits and working with her a bit to get her right on track--they said she'd probably be on her feet in a couple of months.

I got a little sick of everyone telling us, "Oh, it's nothing to worry about, babies don't have to crawl." I don't disbelieve that (and Gumshoegirl--that's not aimed at you--I think you have some great suggestions), but today they said if you suspect anything is not quite right, it's easier to intervene earlier rather than later and if we can get her back on track now it will have a positive impact on her physical skills/coordination down the line.

At any rate, the evaluation was free and the services are covered--THANK YOU taxes! So it might be worth looking into in your area if you are still concerned. I left feeling positive, excited, and reassured to know that she is on track with everything else (not that I doubted that before).

If you want, PM me your address and I can mail you some of the handouts w/exercises and stuff.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page