hates tummy time! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 7 weeks old and is doing super well with his strength and development except that he hates tummy time. He fusses and only keeps his face on or holds it just a little bit above the blanket while kicking around. Occasionally he doesn't mind it for a couple minutes, but we are nowhere close to the 10 recommended minutes at least a day. Because of his lack of tummy time he isn't able to hold his head up that well when on his tummy (he's pretty good at it when upright though) do I have anything to worry about? should i do tummy time even if he fusses, or is there another way I can work those muscles?

#2 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 AM

I never did "tummy time" with any of my children. Sure if they rolled over (which all three started around 9-10 weeks, rolling over from back to stomach) and didn't fuss I didn't worry about it but I never went out of my way to put them on their tummies. They all have been right on track or ahead of the physical developmental stages. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

google 'the case against tummy time'

I've never done it with five kids. They all developed fine, some ahead of schedule. Use of an upright carrier position with your baby will help him use those muscles too without the frustrations of tummy time.

#4 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I was guessing it wasnt anything to worry about... first time mommy I just had to check! thank you!

#5 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM

DS liked tummy time, but i think it's because a lot of his "tummy time" was on my chest, or dad's chest or in his ergo.  Remember that "not on the back" is "tummy time", even if you are holding baby.  They don't need to be on the floor by themselves kind of thing.  It's about "not on the back" time in order to avoid flat head.  Baby will develop those muscles just fine without time on the floor. thumb.gif

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Use of an upright carrier position with your baby will help him use those muscles too without the frustrations of tummy time.

This exactly.  A mei tai or a ring sling are both good options for carrying new babes in an upright position.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#7 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 AM

I second the posters above noting that wearing baby and also tummy time on someone's chest count - especially for a babe that small.  I am also a first time mom and was very nervous about this.  I had been reassured by a babywearing consultant that wearing him would develop the same muscles.  My son hated tummy time when he was little - if i could get 2 minutes out of him it was a good day.  I refused to let him lie there and scream. 

In my experience, my son's neck was strong from all the babywearing and when we would see other same-age babies, he was much better at holding his head up, but when he was on his tummy no way could he hold it up at 7 weeks.  It seemed to me that general neck strength does not necessarily translate into being able to lift his head or push up on his tummy.  Part of that may just be internal coordination, realizing that those muscles can be used for that.  I did break down and get a specific tummy time mat with a little curved pillow (Infantino makes them and I found it cheap at Walmart).  He tolerated it a little better because his face wasn't smushed into the floor, but certainly he wasn't using his arms at that point - I mostly wanted him face down because he kept getting a stuffy nose and it seemed to help congestion.

Anyhoo, at some point he did develop more core, arm and neck strength so that when he was on his tummy, he could push up and play with toys or interact with me and then he didn't hate it quite as much.  Now he is 6 months and doing just fine with it.  I feel like at some point they need to start spending time on the tum in order to get started on crawling, but my experience is that for muscle development before 12 weeks or so, wearing them works just as well.  I *loved* my mei tai.  Also loved my ring sling but my back did not! 

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#8 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

awesome. We do babywearing as much as he permits it (for some reason he only likes to be in the moby when we are outside?) but do walks every day with it and lots of propped up sitting up time too. maybe we'll try tummy time when he's older like you say suzyQ. thanks so much for all the advice everyone!

#9 of 10 Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm not fanatical about tummy time, but my girl only tolerates it for minutes at a time (rolled over at 5 weeks to get out of tummy time!).  We just got a floor gym that she loves being in tummy time on, at the moment she loves looking at the fish on it and feeling the fabric with her hands.  She doesn't really use the time to hold herself up or anything, but she's working on other things now. 

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#10 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Another mama here who didn't do  tummy time. DD hated it. Screamed about it. We did it a few minutes a week maybe. We made sure she had other opportunity to develop the muscles. She has been carried, and since she has gotten enough strength to be in an upright play thingy we started that early. And I would trick her into a semi tummy position. I'd lie back on the bed with her between my legs sort of half propped up on me. If I talked to her she would tolerate it for a few minutes. Now she is 6 months, and can sit on her own, roll in both directions, and acts like at any minute she could crawl. I really don't believe her lack of tummy time had any effect on her.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page