Freaking out over everything and nothing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI there... so I'm a first time Mom, and my son is 5 weeks old.  I'm starting to really get anxious over what I think is nothing and everything. 

If he's asleep, I'm wondering if he's sleeping too long.  If he's awake but not crying, I'm wondering why he's so calm and happy and not really doing anything.  If he's crying, I'm trying to figure out why and get it to stop. If he's feeding, I"m worried he's not getting enough, or getting too much milk.  

His schedule recently changed so that now he's feeding every 3 hours instead of every 2.  And I'm freaking out that he's not getting enough milk, even though I am feeding on demand until he stops eating. 

I'm worried he's not getting enough face time, enough singing time, that he's not moving enough.

ARGH!  There's no way to know that I'm doing it all correctly, except he's gaining weight and not screaming all the time and making eye contact and smiles at people.  Otherwise, what can I do to CALM DOWN?  Please, any tips? 

bouncy.gif

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Drink a beer and sit on your porch and enjoy the weather smile.gif

If your baby is smiling and making eye contact and happy, you are doing it right. Maybe go to a new mom/baby group. I know that did a lot to calm my worries the first time. Just being around other people who have kids/ or have had kids helps a lot.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM

you gotta trust that baby-- you know if he's hungry he'll be screaming sooner or later.  really, he will.  they won't starve themselves.  but: it IS hard!  i still do the worrying bit.  this baby wasn't a screamer like my first one and slept (holy cow) 4 and 5 hour stretches and i nearly LOST it thinking he wasn't ok.  babies are also very hard to mess up. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies. 

Part of it is that in general I don't deal well with big changes or lack of routines and schedules- which of course are the two hallmarks of having a baby!  

Hopefully life will get better in increments as I am able to figure out his schedule more and also get back into yoga- which I can't do right now because of my physical shape....  

I appreciate the encouragement!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

You are doing great.

Make sure you're eating (I panic when I haven't eaten in a while) and do your best to get some sleep (it's hard). And think about doing little bits of yoga, if that's something that resonates with you. Even just sitting meditation. Because you can do that in any physical shape.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 AM

I felt this way too...I so wanted (and still want) to be the best mom I can for Little. It was overwhelming in the first couple of months. I wasn't prepared for how vulnerable and...weird I would feel. I gradually calmed down. You will too. Sometimes I just had to force myself to take a breath and refocus on her in the immediate moment. Change diaper, nurse, cuddle. Sounds like you're doing great. 

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM

Trust your intuition. I read something that said that no matter how many parenting books you read, nothing will trump your intuition.  hug2.gif

Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 PM

i am the same way and this is my 4th baby! down to the wondering why she is being so happy and peaceful for such a long period of time LOL i wasn't like this with the others. it makes me feel ridiculous but for me it's how my anxiety it showing itself at this point. i was a total wreck when she was a newborn. now she's 6 months and i've calmed down somewhat, but the worry is still there! and i can NOT trust my instincts in this situation or we'd be at the doctor's office several times a month. my husband helps reassure me things are fine.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I get freaked out about everything too.  Just wait until your little one learns a new skill and then all the sudden stops using it! Gah!! I think it is unavoidable that any mom that cares about doing the best for their child (and especially first time moms) will constantly wonder if they are doing the best thing from moment to moment.  Just continue to trust your instincts, listen to your baby and try to enjoy this time as much as possible.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Tags
Baby
User Tag List